Best Computer Audio Player Software?
Apr 4, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #301 of 376

I'd get a nice keyboard with media keys for the ease of use and for what you need it for.
Some players have a remote control app for your phone/tablet but that won't give you quick access to play/pause, skip and volume since the phone goes to sleep mode all the time. I use roon with the IOS remote but for play/pause, stop, skip, mute and volume I use my keyboard.

If you're in Europe I have an as good as new Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB lying around here that can go for a bargain. The volume roller is especially nice.
Only reason I'm getting rid of it is because I found it so good I upgraded to the bigger K95 Platinum RGB after a month. Got both their top wired mice too, awsome stuff! But I love mice, got Logitech's three best wireless ones as well. I'm probebly as addicted to computer input gear as to headphones. :wink:

Thanks, I'd be interested but I don't think that keyboard would pass the 'discrete' test :).

Apr 4, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #302 of 376

I use Logitech G500 which has 3 buttons for thumb. So I use the middle one for play/pause. It's very handy, especially when I'm playing I need to quickly stop the music :)
I just had to change association of the play/pause button from "Multimedia: play/pause" to "Playback: play/pause" in MusicBee and of course set it to global. Otherwise it didn't detect the button from another application...

Thanks, I think that something like this is the way to go as it's fairly discrete but gives full control. I could run it minimized on a second screen.

I'm thinking of connecting my Schiit Modi to my docking station and then feeding it under my desk with an appropriate headphone amp hidden away. As I mentioned my company is okay with people listening but it's more a case of being tolerated than encouraged. Too many 'desk ornaments' in the form of a DAC / Amp stack would probably only result in the Health and Safety Manager banning headphones, but I'd get away with this as nobody would ever see it.

Apr 5, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #303 of 376
How does everybody control whatever s/w you use ?

Ideally I'd like to have FooBar2000 running minimised in the background and have some simple controller to run it that doesn't involve multiple key strokes.

You mean something like this:

I use one of these palette tools for photo editing - but due to its programmable nature I can also set it to control winamp/foobar and also to answer/disconnect calls and set mic volume settings/gain in skype or discord

Apr 5, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #304 of 376
hi,
(I have a PC)
just a few people mentionned Media Monkey.
I chose & use it after trials & trials of x y z media players.
Finally, why bother with expensive MPlayer ?

The features I like with Media Monkey :
- free
- various skins available to suit to your "need"
- KEY POINT : in options>Output plug-ins : you can choose Wasapi > config > select : exclusive mode & 24/96 : this way the PC do not process any other sound that MMonkey & transcode to wav 24/96 (or 24/192 as you wish). Key point because this feature enhance greatly the SQ. No need to buy Fidelizer or that kind of softs.
- direct access to my media server running in the NAS (file are on the NAS, Minimserver is the server & is installed on the NAS)
- can run as a UPNP player, thus can be remote with a fairly simple UPNP complaint app on tablet

Thumbs up for MMonkey ! :)

Apr 6, 2017 at 3:46 AM Post #305 of 376
logitech g mice wil do it nicer than a keyboard imo. i love logitech g mice. every iteration of them. i think it is the new rgb g502 i am using. i know most coders like a track ball but i vastly prefer these. fits my hand perfect. i know this is ot, sorry.

i also wanted to say if music software sounds different it is their dsp and decoder. if you just ran bit perfect exactly the same it would be just that. exactly the same. other things can change the sound like cables but that is not software. a music server can sound different but again it is just really a computer running software. usually some type of stripped down linux kernal. well, the high end ones can have better output stages than a computer etc but that is pretty much where a regen or whatever comes in.

this is not rocket science. pick the one you like the features and sound and be done i say. i do have to hand it to foobar for being free. that is very complex, mature software. they could easily charge $100. also i just mentioned software maturity. i would not be so quick to give more than $50 to a company on less than v5. heck, jriver is at 22 or more. plus they are constantly updating it. to me that speaks volumes as well. perhaps moreso than the sound. most any software does not really have it together at even v2. i know that can be argued and there are exceptions but i feel that is a rule of thumb. plus nice to know the company has been in business more than a year. under $50 it does not matter to me but before you spend big bucks.

Apr 6, 2017 at 5:23 AM Post #306 of 376
You mean something like this:

I use one of these palette tools for photo editing - but due to its programmable nature I can also set it to control winamp/foobar and also to answer/disconnect calls and set mic volume settings/gain in skype or discord

Whats the name of these controls? Look nice as media controls

Apr 6, 2017 at 11:58 PM Post #307 of 376
Those controls are from palettegear. They are designed as a custom programmable USB control interface for use with photo and RAW image editing suites, the modular buttons, knobs, and sliders are designed to be changed to any physical layout you choose: and be programmed to do pretty much anything you can do with a keyboard. However, as you can probably guess they are pretty pricey - as most things that are involved with photography usually are: the basic set will cost you about $200 USD.

The Limited edition in the wood finish is particularly appealing:

..but at $899 USD. to put this in perspective, for roughly $200 less you could buy a pair of Emotiva Airmotiv6s.

Apr 7, 2017 at 3:50 AM Post #309 of 376
Those controls are from palettegear. They are designed as a custom programmable USB control interface for use with photo and RAW image editing suites, the modular buttons, knobs, and sliders are designed to be changed to any physical layout you choose: and be programmed to do pretty much anything you can do with a keyboard. However, as you can probably guess they are pretty pricey - as most things that are involved with photography usually are: the basic set will cost you about $200 USD.

The Limited edition in the wood finish is particularly appealing:

..but at $899 USD. to put this in perspective, for roughly $200 less you could buy a pair of Emotiva Airmotiv6s.

Oh oh I was getting excited until i read the price. Such a pity :frowning2:

Apr 7, 2017 at 5:41 AM Post #310 of 376
I did find while ripping my CDs ..
wav is the best output format ...

I can't tell the difference between Wave ripped and FLAC, still no one really rips to WAVE due to the tagging drama which always becomes known. If you keep your wave rips in folders you'll be fine but add them to a player like ITunes and watch what happens to your song titles and numbering. That is the reason no one does it.

Apr 7, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #311 of 376
I can't tell the difference between Wave ripped and FLAC, still no one really rips to WAVE due to the tagging drama which always becomes known. If you keep your wave rips in folders you'll be fine but add them to a player like ITunes and watch what happens to your song titles and numbering. That is the reason no one does it.

Most of my files are WAV. You can write tags, artwork, etc. to them using a program like dBpoweramp, and they can be read by most programs, including foobar2000. Last time I checked, iTunes isn't really compatible with WAV or FLAC. You can't even import FLAC files into it. There's no practical reason to use WAV, since the bitstream is identical to FLAC, but I just like the idea of using uncompressed files since hard drive space isn't an issue and compressed lossless doesn't save much space anyway. And I know that AIFF is an uncompressed format that is compatible with iTunes, but the word "wave" just sounds so much cooler! Makes me think of ocean waves and sound waves.
biggrin.gif

Apr 7, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #313 of 376

​There's has not been a "standard" since 16/44.1 PCM.  Not a problem however as today's players will play most any formatted file. I use iTunes. The iTunes library stores ALAC, WAV, AIFF, and AAC files. I have music in all of those file types.

Apr 8, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #314 of 376
i honestly think sometimes wav has a slight edge over flac. i store everything wav. jriver is fine with it. perhaps i could see a isue with roon. don't know. still, i maintain the spinner kills the pc and top aurender. the aurender is closer. the big problem is usb. if most dacs used cat6 this would be much better. i bet you guys soon they will.

Apr 8, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #315 of 376
  i honestly think sometimes wav has a slight edge over flac. i store everything wav. jriver is fine with it. perhaps i could see a isue with roon. don't know. still, i maintain the spinner kills the pc and top aurender. the aurender is closer. the big problem is usb. if most dacs used cat6 this would be much better. i bet you guys soon they will.

I haven't found one guy who believed in this and wasted so much space keeping everything in wav, who actually tested properly for audibility of flac vs wav on his system.
would you happen to be that rare bird?

on my system I couldn't tell them apart if my life depended on it. on a few DAPs I got audible variations with non default compression values, but I couldn't find out if it's a processing limitation or if they just didn't care to properly test less common stuff, the same way almost all DAPs suck with ogg, at least at first.
as for the "horrible" extra noise that could come from the decompression job, how often does that concern more than the LSB and how often can we get the exact same LSB when measuring even the same thing twice? my fridge turning ON alters my audio more than flac(true story).
so as for all those stuff people talk about that I fail to replicate, I always wonder if I'm lucky with my gears(admittedly my laptop is an old but high end thing), or if it's audio myth being carried from one unsuspecting audiophile to the next?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back