Best Computer Audio Player Software?
Apr 8, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #317 of 376
  All my songs are WAV, it's not that rare.

what seems to be rare are people who properly tested that it made an audible difference. but that's not different from highres, anti jitter stuff, etc. when variations are down at -90db or below, proper testing rarely reveals any audible difference after all.
but of course maybe some systems under specifically poor conditions end up with much louder variations, but I'm yet to see actual evidence of such circumstances where another big issue wouldn't be the real problem.

Apr 8, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #318 of 376
I wouldn't claim that wav sounds better than flac. I have both in equal amounts but some consider the use of wavs only to be more like a system tweak.

One less decoding process could be another tweak among many, possibly lead to improved sound quality. Not unlike (I believe) Charles Altmann's creation of the wav only Tera Player.

Apr 8, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #319 of 376
Personally I think if you have the option, Wave is the best way to go. I have heard a difference and prefer Wave. But because of all the variations in digital sound its not worth breaking your heart over. I still have some flac files only as this is the only download format available. Interesting, is a lot of music download sites now offer wave downloads. 

Storage is not an issue these days its cheap. I run 2Tbytes and only 40% full off which 20% are hires 24/44/96/192 and these do take some space. Doubt I will fill it.

Apr 8, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #320 of 376
All my songs are WAV, it's not that rare.

Interesting, do you open your folders one at a time in say, ITunes? Do you ever put large groups of songs/albums together as a party playlist in say Foobar with out tag issues?

As far as my experience goes, I have always had issues with numbering and tags when files merged. I was of the understanding I was not alone. Though you do hear of people going a cleaning up playlists manually with their WAVE rips.
Not something I want to spend time doing?

Apr 8, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #321 of 376
  I still have some flac files only as this is the only download format available.

Digital music stores nowadays offer every file format imaginable. (Collectively speaking.) And you can convert to any format you want after the fact.

Interesting, do you open your folders one at a time in say, ITunes? Do you ever put large groups of songs/albums together as a party playlist in say Foobar with out tag issues?

As far as my experience goes, I have always had issues with numbering and tags when files merged. I was of the understanding I was not alone. Though you do hear of people going a cleaning up playlists manually with their WAVE rips.

Like I said, you can write tags to WAV files (such as with dBpoweramp) and organize everything however you want in any compatible player, including foobar2000. (I don't know many audiophiles who still use iTunes.) You can even add time tags to sort albums in chronological order for each artist and so on.

Apr 8, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #322 of 376
Digital music stores nowadays offer every file format imaginable. (Collectively speaking.) And you can convert to any format you want after the fact.

Like I said, you can write tags to WAV files (such as with dBpoweramp) and organize everything however you want in any compatible player, including foobar2000. (I don't know many audiophiles who still use iTunes.) You can even add time tags to sort albums in chronological order for each artist and so on.

Many of us use iTunes to rip CDs into Apple Lossless for iPods. Normally just play Foobar. But as far as I can tell Apple lossless stays in order with no tag adjustments needed. I also can't tell the different between 16/44.1 FLAC, Apple Lossless or WAVE rips.

But with critical reference listening those old fashione disks rule. IMO

Apr 9, 2017 at 4:33 AM Post #323 of 376

I use windows server (no network) and hqplayer for critical listening which doesn't group or album art anything however, Jriver does do that on my windows 10, some art was missing but theres an option if you right click to find one from the internet. I don't know what happens with playlists though...

Apr 9, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #324 of 376
I am using MediaMoneky and Windows Media Player. Both working perfectly for me. I think it is always better use an Equalizer Software to get best sound quality with any audio player. I am using "EqualizerPro" software with audio player and it works perfectly for me.

Apr 9, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #325 of 376
I still use itunes however it is mostly for purchasing music I can't find elsewhere. There are some youtube artists I like that only release on itunes so there's that. I use foobar for music listening and mp3tag for any tag editing. I usually update the tags when I rip a CD to flac or purchase something to make sure everything is in the format I want so that isn't much of an issue. I do wish there was something more user friendly than foobar that isn't a hog on resources but haven't been able to find anything.

Apr 9, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #327 of 376
i am just a purist. i prefer wav only because it is the native uncompressed format. i doubt you can hear a difference in fact. i just prefer it an have a lot of storage. just a preference not really having to do with actual sound. when i say a slight edge i am sure it is in my mind. as flac is pretty much the same thing. it is lossless of course. with extremely high end equipment i just prefer the native format of redbook. flac shall suffice for almost everyone. quite frankly 320kbps aac is very close. i have in fact tested and flac is a mirror image. however as with cables for instance some things cannot be explained. don't worry about it. use flac mainly due to the space savings and honestly it hardly makes a difference. if any. plus as mentioned above there can be tagging issues with wav if that matters to you.

Apr 10, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #328 of 376
I use windows server (no network) and hqplayer for critical listening which doesn't group or album art anything however, Jriver does do that on my windows 10, some art was missing but theres an option if you right click to find one from the internet. I don't know what happens with playlists though...

Well that's just the thing, I don't think any of us have ever been told what's right or wrong but just somehow found a way that works for each of us. Probably the biggest issue I had with WAVE was having iTunes rip it then store it in ITunes where the tags and numbering would then later get slightly rearranged. Still I do think there is always that idea that there could be future formats and what better to decode from than WAVE. Many of us have also found sonic issues if a recoded file format process is done.

Using Foobar2000 Resolute sounds exactly the same for me with portable as Apple lossless. I actually had file arrangement problems using Apple iPods and playing FLAC so I switched to taking a stack of CDs and ripping them to Apple Lossless in iTunes. Though to me Foobar on a PC sounds better than iTunes so I end up with three groups of music FLAC for PC with Foobar, Apple Lossless Portable and regular CDs.

So in many ways I have made the process 3x more complicated. :p

The strange placebo factor states whatever way we think sounds best does sound best.

Apr 10, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #329 of 376
I've noticed many programs have better support for MAC operating systems than for Windows. Anyone know why?

I've used J.River Media Center for the longest time on a Windows 10 computer and never had a problem. Does MAC laptops offer quieter power supply noise or something when compared to Windows laptops? I see so many audiophiles using MacOS.

About to buy a new laptop for the music room and not sure what to get which is why I asked.

I don't think power supply noise should be an issue though right? Laptops run from battery (low noise) and all of them have only a few fans for cooling anyways. Some nowadays are fanless so even better. Also the introductory of galvanic isolation devices and digital to digital converters shoulf make USB noise obsolete. Any comments?

Apr 10, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #330 of 376
  i honestly think sometimes wav has a slight edge over flac.

Storing all your music in WAV is like storing all your images in un-compressed TIFF format.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back