Best Computer Audio Player Software?
Feb 26, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #226 of 376
perfect, thanks! I´ll get Foorbar for now and have a closer look to it.
 ​What was your experience with iTunes and how long ago? Today's iTunes coupled with Apply Music is the most  comprehensive suite to enjoy all music ever recorded since the beginning of recording.

Well, getting any kind of Music-Streaming service is not an option, too.
I want to listen to the music I like anytime I want and for ever without some forced livetime streaming that deletes all my playlists when I quit it or just makes me loose big parts of it, therefore I want to own the music so I rather spent all of the money for buying tracks.

Itunes, for me is the worst player I ever had my hands on, it barely handels my music without crashing every time I handle some bigger part of the music and I can´t use my original music database structure, it automaticly splits by Artist badly (every featured Track is extra), therefore just searching by artist and just playing all songs by artist is a pain and needs lots of extra time. Other players handle this with one click.. trouble with different formats etc.. just as an example. There are plenty of reasons for me.

*Edit:
I´m with MediaMonkey for now, since I can exactly does what I want (1.) and also it is able to sync and importan WMP ratings/playlists etc., foobar only supports older Iphones and Ipods.

Feb 26, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #227 of 376
You do know that any music you download from Apple Music can indeed be purchased from the iTunes Store. Just delete the download, then go to the iTunes Store and purchase it. The music will then be downloaded as a "purchase", which will not disappear if you were to cancel service. I love Apple Music and find that its a great service for  music discovery which is to my liking.

Feb 27, 2017 at 5:10 AM Post #228 of 376
Y i know and it is a nice feature for that porpose, but if possible I´m looking for higher quality when I buy tracks, so I wouldn´t make any use of the Itunes store anyways. Mediamonkey got the same feature with other online shops, too and as I said.. using Itunes is not an option, love it or hate it :D

But thx for the advices!

Feb 28, 2017 at 6:05 AM Post #229 of 376
how do i change bit rate in jriver? i know how to change the frequency but see no option for bit rate. plus, can windows 10 support 32 bit audio? afaik if you try to playback in 32 bit you will just get an error message. it would be great if i could have jriver playing 32 bit.

Feb 28, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #230 of 376
  how do i change bit rate in jriver? i know how to change the frequency but see no option for bit rate. plus, can windows 10 support 32 bit audio? afaik if you try to playback in 32 bit you will just get an error message. it would be great if i could have jriver playing 32 bit.

if you look near the bottom right of the tool bar (under the window that shows what's playing), you'll see an icon with three sliders.  hover your mouse over that while something is playing and you'll see the input, processing steps, and output information. you'll likely see the output as 32 bit.

to set the the bit depth in jriver, go tools > options > audio.  under audio device, you should see your dac selected.  immediately under that, click on device setting. you'll see a bit depth drop-down (probably set to automatic) where you can select.

Feb 28, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #231 of 376
i do not have that option. I just realized asio is always 32 bit.that is why the option does not exist i assume. am i correct about this?

i also noticed upsampling in dsp manager with sox on from 44.1 to 192 did not sound as good. it was just a little lower quality. i guess you cannot make something out of what is not there but most people like to upsample. i guess ymmv.

just wondering if asio is strictly 32 bit though. i should know this but i forgot about it.

Feb 28, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #232 of 376
  i do not have that option. I just realized asio is always 32 bit.that is why the option does not exist i assume. am i correct about this?

just wondering if asio is strictly 32 bit though. i should know this but i forgot about it.

ASIO is bit-perfect and sends the same data to your DAC as the file is. If the file is 16-bit, then it sends 16-bit.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Output_Modes
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Bit-perfect_Audio

Do you really have 32-bit files, though?
eek.gif

Feb 28, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #233 of 376
an asio driver is DAC specific and so are the settings. unless we're talking fake asio with something like asio4all.

Mar 1, 2017 at 2:38 AM Post #234 of 376
So how do you upsample the bit depth in jriver with asio? if using streamlength drivers you cannot change any options in it's control panel and bit depth is not present anyways. you can certainly set it in wasapi. plus i was wondering how one would pay 32 biut integer in windows 10. even if your player supports it afaik windows 10 does not and an error will pop up.

another interesting thing is the latest version of foobar sacd/dsd with the latest version of jriver, crashes jriver on exit. probably best to stick with the dacs specific drivers though anyways.

i just want to be able to upsample bit depth in asio but cannot figure out how with jriver. on the professional side i do know how in nuendo/cubase etc.

Mar 1, 2017 at 3:03 AM Post #235 of 376
cannot adjust bit depth with asio. using very high end dac. it says output,enabled at 64 bit 44.1khz. dac says receiving 32 bit stream. that is fine. i obviously do not need to upsample that. however i think i am going to change it to 192khz and se how i like the sound. the dac can go to 2.5mhz but jrivers highest is 768khz. i think the sound will actually degrade that high. plus this little nuc server may not handle that.

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #236 of 376
  So how do you upsample the bit depth in jriver with asio? if using streamlength drivers you cannot change any options in it's control panel and bit depth is not present anyways. you can certainly set it in wasapi. plus i was wondering how one would pay 32 biut integer in windows 10. even if your player supports it afaik windows 10 does not and an error will pop up.

another interesting thing is the latest version of foobar sacd/dsd with the latest version of jriver, crashes jriver on exit. probably best to stick with the dacs specific drivers though anyways.

i just want to be able to upsample bit depth in asio but cannot figure out how with jriver. on the professional side i do know how in nuendo/cubase etc.

cannot adjust bit depth with asio. using very high end dac. it says output,enabled at 64 bit 44.1khz. dac says receiving 32 bit stream. that is fine. i obviously do not need to upsample that. however i think i am going to change it to 192khz and se how i like the sound. the dac can go to 2.5mhz but jrivers highest is 768khz. i think the sound will actually degrade that high. plus this little nuc server may not handle that.

As you said in the past, it's better to just let your DAVE do the upsampling and not alter anything with your player. (Though EQ is always a good idea if you know what to do.) I don't use JRiver, but I do know that it's easy to use DSP (including upsampling) in foobar2000 with ASIO output. Any upsampling you could do on a computer is going to be minimal compared to what the DAVE does by default, anyway, so it's even more pointless than it normally would be.

Mar 1, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #237 of 376

short answer: you don't. first upsampling is a term used for "samples", so it's logically limited to talking about sample rate.
now bits: as I said, the asio driver for your DAC came with it from the manufacturer who defined the bit depth output himself, so chances are it's a fine setting for that DAC. if you still think you know better or have very specific needs, you can probably find somewhere in the asio drivers a file to edit the bit depth value. after all it is defined somewhere. and that should work as long as the value is something the DAC and the streaming solution can handle!
I personally don't really see the point TBH. the only perks of asio IMO, are really low latency for those who need it(so almost no amateur audiophile), and settings according to the manufacturer's wishes so it will tend to offer something of a good "direct" path even if I don't understand anything about audio. if I needed/wished to set everything myself, I would use wasapi. in fact that's what I do when try to measure specific stuff at specific outputs/inputs values.

Mar 1, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #239 of 376
okay thanks for clearing this up guys. i thought it was something you could set. i guess the drivers are written for the highest the dac will do. why wasapi lets you change it i do not know.
i am very hard pressed to tell if 44.1>192 is any better than 44.1. you can't make what is not there. it should just be adding zeros. i am sure the dac is doing a better job than jrivers dsp.

Mar 2, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #240 of 376
Anyone here been able to get Amara SQ working on a MacBook Pro with a Schiit stack?

I tried to get it working a few weeks ago and it was unusable. Boomy bass and garbled mid-range. I emailed their tech support back and got not response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back