Best Computer Audio Player Software?
Feb 20, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #211 of 376
JRiver 22 it's perfect for me: Memory playback, Sox resampling, TPDF Dithering, DSP, parametric EQ, automatic Media Center, audio analisis y etc etc...

JRiver 22 Installed on a RAM Disk (I'm using Primo ramdisk) + Fidelizer + Process Lasso and nothing more! I got a really nice sound quality

Feb 23, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #212 of 376
I used foobar2000 for over ten years but recently, decided to try out new media players. I ended up with JRiver and was happy with it until Roon released version 1.3 of their software. Here's what I wrote in the Roon thread: 

"I just invested to one year plan. This was my fourth trial period with Roon and this time I finally decided to go for it. Last time I ended up with JRiver because I thought it sounded better. Now, after I've done some small adjustments in my setup and Roon was updated to 1.3, I couldn't tell which one was better. They do still sound different but neither one is clearly better. I was also impressed by all the improvements they did for version 1.3, it really shows how much work these guys put in to the software. But what's best in Roon is really the main idea of the software, the user interface. It's light years ahead of any other player. It makes it interesting to just browse your own library, browse artist photos, read reviews, lyrics etc. The discover feature rediscovers your own library. Many albums which have been forgotten have been playing here recently. With big collection, this feature is extremely valuable. Also, when integrated with Tidal, you find new music by familiar artists when Roon shows their music from Tidal. The price was always a problem for me but I finally got over it. The one year plan isn't that expensive in the end, $10 per month. "

Feb 24, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #213 of 376
I hate iTunes because it is just too buggy and clunky for me. Instead, I am using Decibel. It has an easy-to-use interface and you also have the option to just the sample rate of your output device (speakers/headphones) as well, so as to not lose any quality when listening to lower bitrate music.

Feb 24, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #214 of 376
hey there..
recently I got a friends old Iphone and since I wanted to get rid of WMP for a loooooong time the times has come now to get some new player and maybe you can help me with a that, so I can manage Music Database. Arround 100Gb of my music that I listen to most of the time is structured in folders by genre and/or artists.
Since the Iphone can´t do **** with that, I now would love to have a music player that can do the following 2 things (besides the usual playlist editing stuff, showing albums/artists/titels etc.):

1. Most important: Display my actual folder structure in the player and let me play and maybe even Tag it with additional ID Information (does such a program even exist? a dream would come true :D)
2. Let me Sync with Iphone or let me put my folders on the Iphone (6s)

Burning CDs would be a nice 2 have
Ripping CDs not important

If there is no player that does 1., than a programm that let´s me look at my folder structure and tag it would be nice too..
It would be very very kind if you could help with that, I tried 3 players yet and they all can´t do 1.

Edit: As I read most of this thread JRiver might be would I´m looking for?

Feb 24, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #215 of 376

​Just put iTunes on your computer and sync to the iPhone. You can then use the iPhone as iTunes player, or remote. Get an Airport Express and you can Wi-Fi music from the phone to your home theatre or stereo. If you do not have enough space on your phone to download your entire music collection onto the iPhone, you can still enjoy the entire collection from the iPhone by simply uploading your collection to the iCloud. You can enjoy the collection via Wi-Fi when you're at home through  your internet connection. On the road, you can access your music via data service from your phone service provider. Now, since you may not have unlimited data, you can download the songs you want to enjoy, which minimizes data usage. It usually only takes a few seconds to download a few albums. You can organize your collection of music in iTunes on your computer automatically by artist, album, genre, songs, etc. This will transcribe to the iPhone automatically too. From computer, you can rip or burn CDs to and from iTunes. 

Feb 25, 2017 at 5:23 AM Post #218 of 376
ill agree with that. i think jriver is nicer but sound quality should be comparable. $100 euro though? i thought it is like $50usd. could be wrong. i didn't even pay attention to the price.

Feb 25, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #220 of 376
Ah too bad I didn´t know JRiver is that expensive.. I would prefer free or 10 bugs but 50.. kind a much if there is a free/cheap player for my purpose.
Using Itunes is not an option.. tried it already and it was the only reason why I never thought about buying an Iphone.

Can foobar display my actual folder structure in the player and let me play and maybe even Tag it with additional ID Information (1.)?
Or do you know any player/program that is able to do that?

Feb 25, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #221 of 376
Can foobar display my actual folder structure in the player and let me play and maybe even Tag it with additional ID Information (1.)?

Directory structure view is available via this component:
http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_uie_albumlist

I like browsing my custom-organized folders as well, but I do it manually and just drag and drop files into the bare minimum interface in foobar2000 because the way I listen is usually with on-the-fly playlists of whatever I happen to be in the mood for.

You can tag anything in foobar2000 by right-clicking and selecting Properties.

Feb 26, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #224 of 376
  Ah too bad I didn´t know JRiver is that expensive.. I would prefer free or 10 bugs but 50.. kind a much if there is a free/cheap player for my purpose.
Using Itunes is not an option.. tried it already and it was the only reason why I never thought about buying an Iphone.

Or do you know any player/program that is able to do that?

​What was your experience with iTunes and how long ago? Today's iTunes coupled with Apply Music is the most  comprehensive suite to enjoy all music ever recorded since the beginning of recording.

Feb 26, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #225 of 376
  ​What was your experience with iTunes and how long ago?

I'd imagine his experience was that it lacked the custom folder view option he's looking for. (Since it displays everything using tags.)

Today's iTunes coupled with Apply Music is the most  comprehensive suite

...Except for Roon.
tongue_smile.gif

to enjoy all music ever recorded since the beginning of recording.

...Except for all the non-digital formats.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back