Best Computer Audio Player Software?
Feb 6, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #181 of 376

You can resize them to anything you want.

Foobar2k is still a clunky interface and doesn't scale down as well.  Unless things have changed in the past two years since I last touched it (I doubt it) the program was clunky.  Good audio quality but clunky interface.

Feb 6, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #182 of 376
  Foobar2k is still a clunky interface and doesn't scale down as well.  Unless things have changed in the past two years since I last touched it (I doubt it) the program was clunky.  Good audio quality but clunky interface.

Clunky? How so?

You can customize the interface any way you want to. There are countless custom skins out there.

Feb 6, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #185 of 376

Clunky as in, it's extremely hard to set up. It's not intuitive. Some people may like this; some of us don't.

What he said.  I spent time setting up my media system throughout the house but to play music I just want a simple set it up and go and that's what AIMP3 offers.  It uses WASAPI and looks great.  

Feb 7, 2017 at 2:48 AM Post #186 of 376
there is nothing wrong with basic simple intuitive UI. but as a direct result, the actual potential for customization could be low and if I don't like it, well that's it. in foobar just a small visit to deviantart should make it clear what the potential for UI customization really is.
but of course for any single of those stuff, if I want to get my own UI, I have to google and learn and try until I get it right. soon enough it's just me weighting if the result will be worth the effort to get there, and often enough I will decide that I have better things to do. that is perfectly understandable and we make such decisions all day long about everything.
but criticizing the player's UI from ignorance or because you refuse to spend some time learning how to get what you want, it does feel undeserved.

Feb 7, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #187 of 376
Folks tweaking computer audio players today reminds me of folks tweaking their turntable/cartridge outfits. I guess it gives them involvement with their passion for perfection. For me, involvement with a computer is not an experience which inspires. I see it as squandering my precious leisure time. It's why I prefer iTunes over all. 

Feb 7, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #188 of 376
  there is nothing wrong with basic simple intuitive UI. but as a direct result, the actual potential for customization could be low and if I don't like it, well that's it. in foobar just a small visit to deviantart should make it clear what the potential for UI customization really is.
but of course for any single of those stuff, if I want to get my own UI, I have to google and learn and try until I get it right. soon enough it's just me weighting if the result will be worth the effort to get there, and often enough I will decide that I have better things to do. that is perfectly understandable and we make such decisions all day long about everything.
but criticizing the player's UI from ignorance or because you refuse to spend some time learning how to get what you want, it does feel undeserved.

Indeed. I haven't seen a player that offers as much customization as foobar2000.

You just have to put in a bit of effort to make it the way you want, which generally involves finding a skin and configuring a few settings. Since it's actually easier for me to manually browse file folders (outside of the player, since I organize them a certain way) and drag and drop on-the-fly playlists, I only use the default interface.

And of course, it has more DSP options available via plugins than most players too.

Folks tweaking computer audio players today reminds me of folks tweaking their turntable/cartridge outfits. I guess it gives them involvement with their passion for perfection. For me, involvement with a computer is not an experience which inspires. I see it as squandering my precious leisure time. It's why I prefer iTunes over all. 

I was going to mention iTunes, because one benefit it has is that the interface is taken care of for you, and it's pretty good...but just doesn't offer room for customization as far as I know.

Feb 7, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #189 of 376
Slightly off topic as this regards loading songs into a mobile device with iTunes.

Just discovered a strange option where the old vertion of Foobar takes and plays all the files off iTunes on an iPhone 4.

Basicly if you want to use Foobar Resolute on a iOS device you load the songs in with iTunes. With the current vertion of iTunes and the new Foobar mobile software Resolute, the files remain seperate in the newer edition phone or iOS device. The hassle is Foobar with and IOS device will never except folders. That said each time you want to put a folder of music in Foobar you must open the folder and highlight each individual file.

That process seems like nothing but once you have folders with 100s of subfolders and a thousand songs you can quickly see how it takes large amounts of time.

With an old iPhone 4 and an older edition of Foobar ( as Resolute only works with newer IOS updates) you just add even one giant folder into iTunes and put the songs into your phone just like you normally would with iTunes.

Upon completion you get total access with Foobar. Also any files which you did add to Foobar remain seperate.

iTunes non-update 12.0.1.26

Feb 10, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #190 of 376
for full featured suites i was wondering how jriver and foobar stack up for sound quality set properly and with fildelizer? are there any other full featured suites that have better sound quality?

Feb 11, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #191 of 376
  for full featured suites i was wondering how jriver and foobar stack up for sound quality set properly and with fildelizer? are there any other full featured suites that have better sound quality?

what features are supposed to get you better sound quality?

for objective fidelity, many will allow to use wasapi/KS/asio for "bit perfect" solutions, even fairly basic players. and that's it. it is the one direct method to send the data to the DAC without risking much, if any change. volume level, resampling, etc will only be involved if set to change.

for subjective preferences, no suite will ever scratch the surface of all the plug-ins and VSTs one could use to get his own sound.

Feb 11, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #194 of 376
  well of course from sound science. i meant which ones do people "feel" sound superior. not like in reality lol. in fact i am really surprised you answered that :)

Hi, though I have not used these exact players, my feeling is the best sound quality from a full featured player suite would be one that can be used with Windows Server in core mode with the help of Audiophile Optimizer.
Roon, Hysolid, HQPlayer, Foobar2000, TIDAL, are listed in the AO manual as usable. There may be some limitations though with each player operating system/mode compatibility.
http://www.highend-audiopc.com/audiophile-optimizer
Windows 10 is also an option, though seems it is still windows Server 2016 in core mode that will allow the best quality.
I use Windows 2012 core, AO with Jplay mini. This provides excellent sound quality with many processing options (available in AO and JPlay) to select your preferred bit-perfect feeling :wink:
(....but there is no way Jplay mini in hibernate mode would be considered full featured) 

Feb 12, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #195 of 376
i use jriver. i would use foobar. roon is to expensive. i know that sounds stupid coming from me but i mean i don't see the value. jriver is a great value. i am just using jriver with fidelizer. i guess there is hqplayer but it instantly crashes on two machines here. windows beta versions though. the others might be a big learning curve. i must run windows 10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back