best compatible fiio amplifier for sennheiser hd-439 and hd-419
May 10, 2012 at 8:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

henrymil

New Head-Fier
hello sir will you help me to decide between e6 and fiio e11. im using sennheiser hd-419 and a nokia n8 12 megapixel smartphone.. im having a hard time deciding and reading reviews and choosing between the two amplifiers. im looking for a more balanced sound and yet powerful amplifier to drive my sennheiser hd-419.. im not looking for skullcrushing bass as the 419′s bass is good enough and needed just a little more..so im wondering which of these two amplifiers will you reccomend that have a more balanced sound and gives more power, clarity or soundstage to sennheiser 419..is the equalizer of these 2 amplifier just gives bass boost or it gives treble as well….which one will you reccomend the e6 or the e11? and lastly im confused..a smartphone has an equalizer and a portable amp has an equalizer, when playing the headphones which equalizer that the headphones uses , is it the eq of the amp or eq of the smartphone or both (if the headphone bypasses or uses the eq of the ampli then the eq of the phone will be useless)im confused.. thanks and more power. sorry for the many questions and the inconvenience, i just want to be sure on my purchase and will not make a mistake on which portable amplifier im going to pair with my hd 419…

May 10, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #2 of 2
Quote:
hello sir will you help me to decide between e6 and fiio e11. im using sennheiser hd-419 and a nokia n8 12 megapixel smartphone.. im having a hard time deciding and reading reviews and choosing between the two amplifiers. im looking for a more balanced sound and yet powerful amplifier to drive my sennheiser hd-419.. im not looking for skullcrushing bass as the 419′s bass is good enough and needed just a little more..so im wondering which of these two amplifiers will you reccomend that have a more balanced sound and gives more power, clarity or soundstage to sennheiser 419..is the equalizer of these 2 amplifier just gives bass boost or it gives treble as well….which one will you reccomend the e6 or the e11? and lastly im confused..a smartphone has an equalizer and a portable amp has an equalizer, when playing the headphones which equalizer that the headphones uses , is it the eq of the amp or eq of the smartphone or both (if the headphone bypasses or uses the eq of the ampli then the eq of the phone will be useless)im confused.. thanks and more power. sorry for the many questions and the inconvenience, i just want to be sure on my purchase and will not make a mistake on which portable amplifier im going to pair with my hd 419…

I use an E11 with my iPod Touch and my IEMs, and have also tried E11 with my HD650's and Denon D5000s.  It's a decent little amp.  It's not without its flaws of course, at that price and form factor it isn't perfect, but in terms of sheer specifications and tested performance, it measures really well for something so compact. 

While has several flaws such as(inadequate RFI shielding, so interference from Wifi or cellular can sometimes end up in the audio; non-linear bass response even with 'bass boost' disabled, and a somewhat short battery runtime; inability to use while charging; long charge time, I'm unaware of anything else so small with decent enough durability and portability that would perform better.  cMoy-DIY amps in an altoids tin may perform better, but they're not as durable (altoids tins can be crushed more easily), and the c421 is more than double the money. 

e6 is good for what it is, but if you have e11 in your sights and intend to use it with full size headphones, e11 is definitely the better amplifier.  It has a 3-position bass-boost (off, 1, and 2), but that is the only tone circuit.  Your phone probably doesn't have a true line-out, so what you're amplifying is the already amplified signal from the phone's headphone jack.  General rule is to keep the phone volume at 100% and control the volume from the amp, however, if you don't get enough volume control from the amp that way (too strong a signal in), then you can turn the phone volume down until you get enough range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back