Best closed headphones for under a thousand dollers
Oct 18, 2001 at 2:29 PM Post #32 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by eeyssjr
kwkarth, whether CD3000 only attenuate by 3db or not, or the fact that they have no rear pressure loading the drivers, does not make them open.

They may SOUND like open phones because of the facts you mention, they may perform like open phones, but they are closed.

They are designed as closed phones, which sound open. That doesn't actually make them open.

The reason closed phones are called CLOSED is because they have no holes in the back, unlike a sens HD600 - those holes have been closed.

I'm sure you have used the CD3000 way longer than any of us put together kwkarth, but it seems owning them that long has made you think they are actually open, when in fact they just sound open. They sound so open, and attenuate outside sounds so little, and have so little driver loading, that they might aswell be called open to you. But the fact is, they are closed.

Do Sony themselves call them closed? If they do, then since they designed them and built them and market them I will abide by whatever marketing nomenclature they choose to use.
This is the last time I'm going to deal with this issue. Technically, by design, they're open. The fact that the 3000s are completely open 360degrees around each earcup make them open. They are no more closed than if you held your hands up against the backside of a pair of HD600s and called them closed. Anyone sitting in the same room with you will hear what you're listening to almost as well they would as if you were listening to a pair of 600s. Nuff said. Still friends?
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Happy listening!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 18, 2001 at 2:54 PM Post #33 of 62
Quote:

Do Sony themselves call them closed?

Do Sony themselves call them open?

If they do, then since they designed them and built them and market them I will abide by whatever marketing nomenclature they choose to use.

Whoops. Back at square one.

Where did you read that they are called open, or is this just something you decided yourself?

Oct 18, 2001 at 3:17 PM Post #34 of 62
okay....

cd300005.jpg

you see that black ring between the earcup and the pad? There is a vent all the way around the headphone between that black ring and the grey earcup. yeah, there aren't little holes in the back, but does it matter where it's vented as long as there is a vent of some kind? I do think that they won't leak as much sound as a K501, but you can have a conversation with someone with those headphones on and with music playing through them. Compared to a TRUE closed phone like the DT250, they're very much open.

Oct 18, 2001 at 4:35 PM Post #35 of 62
Quote:

This is the last time I'm going to deal with this issue

I'm glad it wasnt. Well, if those holes you mention do exist, as i'm sure they do, i'll settle for calling them open, but would prefer semi-open.

You win!

Oct 18, 2001 at 4:45 PM Post #36 of 62
kwkarth didn't post that bit with the picture, I did. So he did remain out...but no more nitpicking! I think we can all agree with "semi-open."
smily_headphones1.gif
Can't we?

Oct 18, 2001 at 6:14 PM Post #38 of 62
well, it doesn't look to me as if they say anythign about them being closed OR open. but they are open...er, "semi-open." or semi-closed.

Oct 18, 2001 at 6:58 PM Post #40 of 62
Quote:

I prefer the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (250 Ohm) to the Sony CD 3000.

Hehe... it wouldn't be a complete thread without Tomcat's 770 pimping
wink.gif

I must get a pair of these someday, just to see what all the fuss is about.

Oct 18, 2001 at 7:03 PM Post #42 of 62
Judging from the picture I have of the R10's, I'd say they are. However, I don't know for sure.

Oct 18, 2001 at 7:10 PM Post #44 of 62
The R10s are 100% closed, as are the CD1700s. The 1700s isolate the best out of the three.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back