Best closed headphones for under a thousand dollers
Oct 17, 2001 at 4:53 PM Post #2 of 62
Could you give a little more information, so we can make better recommendations? Like, do you plan to use a headphone amp as well, do you care about blocking outside noise or leaking noise, and what sort of presentation (smooth, neutral, warm, etc...) are you looking for?

Oct 17, 2001 at 5:02 PM Post #3 of 62
How 'bout the ER4S, a cosmic amp and a traveller's bag? Perfect for home and the office.

That's a 1000 USD (Or about a bizillion canadian dollars.)

Oct 17, 2001 at 5:02 PM Post #4 of 62
Just to respond to that, Preferably theire should be low sound leakage, I will Use amp and with regard to the actual sound, well I'm just starting out so this isn't an area I know much about. Just give me something with a nice mix of qualities.

Oct 17, 2001 at 5:12 PM Post #6 of 62
OK, if you don't mind canalphones, then the system mackay maus proposed would be extremely good. However, if you want full-sized headphones, then two highly-regarded headphones are the Beyerdynamic 831 and Sony 3000.

Tomcat should be along w/ his suggestion pretty soon as well...
wink.gif

Oct 17, 2001 at 8:08 PM Post #7 of 62
You really don't have too many choices, and unfortunately, the headphone manufacturers just don't hardly make cans in the over $700 league at all (except electrostatics which need a very specialized and expensive amps, and the Sony R10).

Uless you're willing to shell out $3000-$4000 for the Sony R10, you're only option is the Sony CD3000, which are fabulous cans at the $400 mark. Of course the CD3000's may as well be open as they fail to block out any sound at all. For a grand you can get the Sony CD3000 and a nice amp.

Yes, there are some beyers as well, but info on those is relatively scarce.

markl

Oct 17, 2001 at 9:17 PM Post #8 of 62
Ok here is what I can give you...

DT831:
Presentation is fairly bright and analytical (tube amps are good on them). They are proper closed phones, not much sound out, not much sound in... ~$150

DT770:
Should be proper closed phone, more impact and bass according to tomcat and FR graphs. ~$140

Etys:
Canalphones. Also proper closed phones. Fantastic quality, flat from 20hz-15khz. ~$250

CD3000:
From what heard, allows sound in but not much out. Fantastic quality. A lot of body and bass and tendency to be bright. ~$400

As you can see nothing is really in your price range... of $1000... for headphones... but an amp will get you up there...

Oct 17, 2001 at 9:32 PM Post #9 of 62
chych is right - amps are expensive, especially good ones.

I'd suggest getting a Corda......fairly inexpensive......and CD3Ks....tho, I've heard neither
redface.gif

Oct 17, 2001 at 9:59 PM Post #10 of 62
Amp is really not required for the CD3000's. They are efficent enough to drive to loud levels on the output of a portable.

Oct 17, 2001 at 10:33 PM Post #11 of 62
Hey, you guys are slipping! If ou want really good closed phones, buy the AKG-K1000/SAC K1000 combo and go into a small closed room. The headphone and amp will set you back about a kilobuck, but I don't know how much the room will cost.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2001 at 10:51 PM Post #12 of 62
kwkarth: hahaha. or not.
rolleyes.gif

Tho, personally, I'd think that your "closed" setup - WITH a woofer - would make me happy......

(they may not need a woofer, but I think nearly every headphone would benefit - you don't JUST hear low bass; the feeling part is an integral part of the experience, IMO).

Oct 17, 2001 at 10:58 PM Post #13 of 62
"I think ALL closed headphones (with the exception of the Etys) are crap, especially for their price."

Have you even HEARD the CD3000? This automatic bias against closed phones displayed on these boards is just bizarre to me. You've all bought into Sennheiser's marketing of its "open-aire" phones. Listen to some good closed phones, THEN see if you can still make sweeping statements.

markl

Oct 17, 2001 at 11:05 PM Post #14 of 62
Ok, I'd just like to say upfront, the etys and v6's are the only closed 'phones I've had.

With that, I think you should get a Cosmic traveller system. It'd be around $1000, and you'd get a great amp for the ety's (I've heard it), some of the best closed headphones around, and an unbelievable portable system. I don't think you could beat this system for the money considering it's versatility.

Oct 17, 2001 at 11:12 PM Post #15 of 62
chych pretty much listed the options headphone-wise. you'll want a good amp to go with them, if not because they need power then because they deserve (and will show improvement with) something better than a cheap build-in amp.

if you're spending around $200 on the cans, you'll have a heck of a lot of $$$ left. you could ofcourse "donate" that
wink.gif
wink.gif
but for amps, you'll have plenty choices. amp or SS? portable or not? crossfeed or not? look around a bit, nose through some threads after you picked a headphone to find an amp that'll fit them right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back