Best closed headphones for under a thousand dollers
Oct 20, 2001 at 4:05 AM Post #46 of 62
back to the original question...
THE Labtec ELITE 840 is the winner!!!

You can all stop laughing now.
I mean it... or else I'll put on my Etys.

Oct 20, 2001 at 4:06 PM Post #47 of 62
Why didn't someone just send Sony a mail on this?
then again, that wouldn't be any fun now would it
rolleyes.gif

Oct 20, 2001 at 4:27 PM Post #48 of 62
I think we can all agree that kwkarth and vertigo-1 are both are both ppl very experienced with headphones, and they both have used some very nice hi-end sets....

My question is: Who cares if its open or closed?

I mean, when people say they want a "closed" headphone, the only reason I can think of them sayin that is that they was some isolation.

whether or not the CD3K is closed or not doesn't matter that much, now does it? It matters more whether it attenuates any noise - and vertigo and kwkarth both agree that it pretty much is terrible at attenuating noise.

So....the poster who started this thread should've asked for the best ISOLATING cans for <1000 bux - I mean, CLOSED/OPEN can be almost interchangeable, as the CD3K proves....

Meh.

Let's all be friends
biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2001 at 4:29 PM Post #49 of 62
you know that some sony exec is reading this thread right now and laughing his pants off.

as for whether i think they're open or closed (since i am the PREMIERE cd3000 expert in the nation, undisputed), how's this for a test:

with open headphones, as you move your open hands towards the rear of the enclosure, the sound collapses, as you are sealing an opening that wasn't meant to be sealed. does this happen with the cd3000? someone stick a sock over each earcup and tell me if it changes the sound. call it "moo's cd3000 sock mod" (patent pending). if there's anywhere where there's an opening -- vent, hole, pore, orifice, or otherwise -- you should hear the effect. and besides, with socks over each earcup, the k1000s suddenly could win a beauty contest in direct comparison.
wink.gif

Oct 20, 2001 at 4:37 PM Post #50 of 62
Gee whizzzzzzzzzz Cooljiv, I hate to start a new trend here, but I have to agree with you.
wink.gif

What matters is the sound and whether or not others can be disturbed by what you're listening to and whether or not what's going on around you is going to disturb you.

I think everybody will agree that under such a definition, the Ety's take the prize as THE BEST isolating headphones under a kbuck bar none....... On both counts! Best isolation AND best sound!!

Oct 20, 2001 at 4:37 PM Post #51 of 62
here's a pointless analogy/proof

if i shut my door, i call it "closed". if i open it, i call it "open". if i punch tiny pooka holes in my door and close it, i still call it closed. if i enclose (shut) the headphones, i call it closed. if i open the headphones (ie, to do surgery or am just being an idiot), i call it open. if i punch tiny pooka holes in the enclosure and seal it, then it must be closed. the door dictates it! therefore ALL headphones are closed.

Oct 20, 2001 at 4:46 PM Post #52 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by MooGoesTheCow
you know that some sony exec is reading this thread right now and laughing his pants off.

as for whether i think they're open or closed (since i am the PREMIERE cd3000 expert in the nation, undisputed), how's this for a test:

with open headphones, as you move your open hands towards the rear of the enclosure, the sound collapses, as you are sealing an opening that wasn't meant to be sealed. does this happen with the cd3000? someone stick a sock over each earcup and tell me if it changes the sound. call it "moo's cd3000 sock mod" (patent pending). if there's anywhere where there's an opening -- vent, hole, pore, orifice, or otherwise -- you should hear the effect. and besides, with socks over each earcup, the k1000s suddenly could win a beauty contest in direct comparison.
wink.gif

...Not a valid test. Your logic is fatally flawed. Socks don't seal... The earcups of the CD3000s already perform the function of coloring the sound as your hands at the back of say a pair of HD600s would, and the porting, already well explained, is around the entire circumfrence of the can. But I digress, we've moved on. We're talking about Ety's now, something which you really should be an expert on!
smily_headphones1.gif
Besides that, nothing can make the K1000s look WAF good. They look geek good, but never WAF good. (WAF=Wife Acceptance Factor)

Oct 20, 2001 at 4:58 PM Post #53 of 62
Yay! We've moooo-ved on
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2001 at 5:04 PM Post #54 of 62
ety's rule. especially since it's the only way possible to be an inconspicuous audiophile. the darn things look like gameboy headphones to the untrained eye, with the red and blue stems all funky and such. you can walk around town sportin yer etys and have a cosmic/cdp stashed in a traveler bag, and you just look like a guy enjoying his tunes. which you are, of course, because etys rule.

and yes, they could very well be the best closed headphones for under a thousand dollars. $750 under a thousand, to be exact.
Hell, for about a thousand, you can get the etys, the beyer 250-80s, the 770s, and the cd3000s. and then return the three latter when you realize i was right.

Oct 20, 2001 at 5:05 PM Post #55 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by MooGoesTheCow
here's a pointless analogy/proof

if i shut my door, i call it "closed". if i open it, i call it "open". if i punch tiny pooka holes in my door and close it, i still call it closed. if i enclose (shut) the headphones, i call it closed. if i open the headphones (ie, to do surgery or am just being an idiot), i call it open. if i punch tiny pooka holes in the enclosure and seal it, then it must be closed. the door dictates it! therefore ALL headphones are closed.

Ok, ok, I capitulate to your screen door theory.
IN which case, by the way, HD600s are closed phones too since they have the screen door as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2001 at 5:11 PM Post #57 of 62
well moo-man, the earcups on the CD3K are meant to create a false room of some sort, so that sound is reflected and gives you the illusion of space. So if you were to back the earcups you probably wouldn't her a big difference. However, if you put something like caulk around the vent between the gray earcup and the plastic ring, you probably would hear a big difference.

Oct 20, 2001 at 5:20 PM Post #58 of 62
Guys, Guys - we've MOOO-ved on.

Let's not go back to that stupid argument this thread WAS about.... I mean...... who really cares?

tongue.gif

Oct 20, 2001 at 5:25 PM Post #59 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by coolvij
Guys, Guys - we've MOOO-ved on.

whatchoo doin wearing out my name, eh
wink.gif

how would you like it if i were to say, oh,

Guys, Guys - we've COOLVIJ-ed on.

wait. nevermind. your way worked better. i apologize.

Oct 20, 2001 at 6:16 PM Post #60 of 62
Moo: Thanx for provin my point
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back