Best CLOSED Headphones for a Novice Audiophile ?
Sep 19, 2008 at 9:09 AM Post #31 of 45
Since you don't mind the bulk, I'd recommend the M-Audio Q40s as an excellent well-rounded set of cans; by the way, they do fold for portability, so they become a small lump in your bag.

Sound leakage is minimal, so you can enjoy without worry of disturbing others around you.

Sep 19, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #32 of 45
Another +1 for the Sony MDR-7506's. Maybe I'm their greatest supporter here, but it's only because they surprised the heck out of me. Hands down the best $99 I've EVER spent. No amp needed, no excuses needed, no lack of comfort needed. I have a very large head, big ears, and they fit me more comfortably than many far more expensive phones. The sound is unbelievable, especially when you factor in cost. I sampled 'phones costing double as much, and came away wondering "where's the magic?" Then put these on and was blown away...there's a reason so many sound engineers use them. And for someone like me that loves DEEP DEEP bass, there's not another phone within the $100-$400 range that can exceed them, and few that can match them.

Sep 19, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #34 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by ast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.... I, again, highly recommend Beyer DT150, the best headphone under $1000. It is closed phone and can be got for under $200 brand new.

Bring on all the current in production flagship headphones, DT150 beats them all.
icon10.gif

Dude, I gotta know more about these cans. Are they "all that"? Do they got good isolation?

Sep 19, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #36 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by AYEBOOBOO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wavoman, if you can comment on their leakage compared to some of the Sennheiser's I think it may finalize my opinion. Also do you know much of the ATH-A900's on the standards that you judged the DT880s and AH-D2000's for me on? Thanks a lot, it is making my "journey" easier...

I can't test the ATH-A900's, sorry, none of my friends have them. What other comparisons did you want me to run for leakage? I had to give the 770's back to their owner, so I only have 880's (both 250 and 600 ohm, partially open) to test, and D2000 (fully closed), and Senn 600's (totally open, of course). I can try Ultrasone Pro 750's (fully closed), and a bunch of other open phones but these don't matter to you. I can easily test containment and isolation.

BTW, I need to revise my post. The ATH-ES7 contains very very well, but isolation from the outside is only fair. I turn up the volume at the gym and drown everyone out.

Sep 20, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #37 of 45
^You wouldn't happen to have listened to a Pro650 and a Pro750 both would you. I started with the 650, and listened to it at work a lot. I liked the 650 for a portable with the nano/predator.

Sep 20, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #38 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't test the ATH-A900's, sorry, none of my friends have them. What other comparisons did you want me to run for leakage? I had to give the 770's back to their owner, so I only have 880's (both 250 and 600 ohm, partially open) to test, and D2000 (fully closed), and Senn 600's (totally open, of course). I can try Ultrasone Pro 750's (fully closed), and a bunch of other open phones but these don't matter to you. I can easily test containment and isolation.

BTW, I need to revise my post. The ATH-ES7 contains very very well, but isolation from the outside is only fair. I turn up the volume at the gym and drown everyone out.

Wow what an incredible offer, and one that is truly appreciated. I have the 770's so no need to worry on reporting on those, I know what they are like
wink.gif
. If you want you can make a new thread devoted to your sound leakage studies :p and just link me to it. I think it is something that shouldn't be hidden in an obscure thread like mines...

To be honest, whatever you feel is best to test these with I will abide to, and I am starting to slowly back away from totally avoiding Open headphones. Any information that you can provide, will be ideal, but again, the phones you mentioned in the quoted post are of most importance to me, now that is, haha.

Thanks a lot!

Sep 20, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #39 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by digger945 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^You wouldn't happen to have listened to a Pro650 and a Pro750 both would you. I started with the 650, and listened to it at work a lot. I liked the 650 for a portable with the nano/predator.

Sorry, never heard a Pro 650. Cowon i7 > Predator > Pro 750 (modded for split-entry by moon-audio with Silver Dragon cable red/black techflex) is amazing, my long-haul plane rig for first class (we are allowed to upgrade trans-atlantic), and gets a lot of jealous stares from businessmen with Bose, my look all red/black and neat [custom Predator], with "Ultrasone" all shiny on the earplates, and a black 'Sennheiser' velcro cable tie to hold it all together.

Sep 20, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #40 of 45
Quote:

...your sound leakage studies..., the phones you mentioned in the quoted post are of most importance to me...

I'm on it. Will station my most-loved listening machine (aka wife) about 5 feet away, and play a level-matched selection thru the phones, and she will tell us what she hears.

Oct 23, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #41 of 45
Quote:

donunus I would look into either the HD 600's or 650's from Sennheiser, but I am afraid of how much they leak so I plan to purchase either one of those after I graduate and I can enjoy it in the privacy of my home. I am also open to Open headphones that leak minimally as long as I can listen to them to a mid-high level and not have other passengers looking at me like I am blasting a boom box.

Again, Thanks guys and please keep the suggestions coming.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dude, 650 leaks terribly...
frown.gif

I just get one today... totally blow off my impression on how much leak an open earphone could have...hehe. but the sound quality is sweet, especially when listening to classical music.

Oct 23, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #42 of 45
Studio = tonal balance.

1.Ultrasone PRO/PL650
2.MB Quarts QP 250.
3.Sennheiser HD 250 II.
4.Pioneer monitor 10/10r.
5.PROline 550/HFI/DJ1
6.Sennheiser HD 280.

Hi-Fi = Fun, color, bassy...

1.ED9.
2.HFI780/680
3.PRO/PL750.
4.Sennheiser HD 25 II.

Oct 23, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #43 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by ast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.... I, again, highly recommend Beyer DT150, the best headphone under $1000. It is closed phone and can be got for under $200 brand new.

Bring on all the current in production flagship headphones, DT150 beats them all.
icon10.gif

DT150_02.jpg

x2 on the DT150, they are the best closed cans in their price range. And maybe in a higher price range as well....
These have the rare quality of being studio headphones and hifi fun at the same time.

Oct 23, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #44 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2 on the DT150, they are the best closed cans in their price range. And maybe in a higher price range as well....
These have the rare quality of being studio headphones and hifi fun at the same time.

What bring you to this deep conclusions???

Oct 23, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #45 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What bring you to this deep conclusions???

What is deep about it
confused.gif

I've tried and owned the following closed headphones:
Denon AH-D2000
BeyerDynamic DT 770 edition 2005
BeyerDynamic DT 770/80 Pro
Sony MDR-CD 1700
AKG K271 Studio

They all have their flaws. I like the DT150 much better than those.
The DT150 have a wide soundstage.
The bass, mids and highs are all of the right proportion, in other words: balanced.
The sound is coherent, not too bright, not too dark.
They are detailed.
The meaty sound is toe-tapping
Isolation is great.
All the things I was looking for in a good headphone is here.
Except the comfort, that could've been better.
There's always something left to desire
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm not saying these are the best there is. But for the money, I doubt if you can have better closed headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back