Best Closed Ear Headphones (for my music taste) - Money not a concern.
Jan 30, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #16 of 43
I didn't listen to th900 or T5p but I own a Sig pro and I think your can really consider it . Build like tank, comfy , very good overall sound quality , quite balanced with impressive bass when music needs it. Very good all rounder for any music genre from Schubert string quartets to Infected Mushroom's trance. 

Moreover, the Sp sounds good from anything and doesn't need any specific amp. if the source is "clean" , These Ultrasone sounds good.  But, if you add good source and amp , SP is greatly improved

If the SP was a car it wouls be a Porsche Cayenne. Many serious listeners appreciate this Ultrasone here in France. Even if their primary choice is a T1 ou T5p or other hi-end headphone.

T5p seems to be you other option and from what I read it's more on the bright and analytical side of neutrality while SP is darker/warmer. Same league but matter of preferences :wink:

From what I read here or therer, th900 despite the fact it's  closed cans is a bit fragile or breakable. Maybe not the best idea for portable use ?

Jan 30, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #17 of 43
x2 for the Momentum. I listen to post-rock and they are great. There are also VERY portable, as in they have a nice light and short cable and don't make you look like a total weirdo wearing them in public. I also have a set of DT1350s, I think at this point I prefer the Momentum, I find the DT1350 a bit harsh on some material (and I generally like good speed and treble energy). The Momentum is warm but maintains good clarity across the spectrum so is not muddy or congested like some overly warm phones are.

Jan 30, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #18 of 43
I didn't listen to th900 or T5p but I own a Sig pro and I think you can really consider it.

Build like tank, comfy , very good overall sound quality, quite balanced with impressive bass when music needs it, very good lively mids and never harsh but extended trebles. Very good all rounder for any music genre from Schubert string quartets to Infected Mushroom's trance. 

Moreover, the Sp sounds good from anything and doesn't need any specific amp. if the source is "clean" , These Ultrasone sounds good.  But, if you add good source and amp , SP is greatly improved. If the SP was a car it would be a Porsche Cayenne. Many serious listeners appreciate this Ultrasone here in France. Even if their primary choice is a T1 ou T5p or other hi-end headphone.

If i should indentify a flaw : SP listening experience is a very "headphone" one with a bit constricted soundstage , don't expect a "speaker" experience . I f i sould illustrate this point: Ultrasone SP sits you down near the sound engineer when he produced the music you listen to. I really love this experience but I would understand if people could feel it as a claustrophobic experience. However...we talk about closed cans :wink:

T5p seems to be you other option and from what I read it's more on the bright and analytical side of neutrality while SP is darker/warmer. Same league but matter of preferences :wink:

From what I read here or there, the Fostex th900, despite the fact its closed can nature, is a bit fragile or breakable. Maybe not the best idea for portable use ?

Jan 30, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #19 of 43
I have only one overear closed headphone, DENON AH-D7000. Previously, I had SONY MDR-Z1000, MDR-1R, MDR-XB1000 etc. I sold all of them except D7000. I heard the sound of AH-D7100EM, TH900, DT1350 , Spirit One, Edition 8 and T5p in the audio shop. I was attracted by TH900, which has tight bass and is clearer than D7000. AH-D7100EM is also impressive, it has more bass and wider sound stage. But it is ugly.

Jan 30, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #20 of 43
What do you guys think of the most ideal, portable headphone + amp set-up? I've read that Sig Pros + P4 Warbler amp sounds pretty great, but is there a superior, portable amp I should be aware of?

How about for the T5P, do the amps make a world of difference? And which amps should I be considering for the T5P?

As for the Fostex, it seems like in my case, the T5P's or Sig Pros would be my best bet, at least until someone can specify how they are superior (aside from obvious, aesthetic beauty and style/comfort). Everything I've read on the Sig Pros and T5P's seems to align closely with my music tastes.

Highly considering purchasing both headphones (Sig Pros and T5P's) and their respective amps to make a comparison. Please remember that portability is a must, as I ride 2 trains and a bus to work each way on my commute to San Francisco.

Jan 30, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #21 of 43
Quote:

How about for the T5P, do the amps make a world of difference? And which amps should I be considering for the T5P?

An amp makes a fairly noticeable difference to the T5p, improving the bass in particular. I love my HeadAmp Pico USB DAC/amp with the T5p, and also my Apex Glacier. The Apex Glacier form factor is better for attaching to most portable sources, since it has a flat low profile. That said the Pico is very small, and while not as low-profile, its not particularly a problem with that either. If you get an HeadAmps portable amp without a DAC (the Pico Slim), then it has a low profile also.

Highly considering purchasing both headphones (Sig Pros and T5P's) and their respective amps to make a comparison. Please remember that portability is a must, as I ride 2 trains and a bus to work each way on my commute to San Francisco.

If you don't have the chance to audition them and can afford it that isn't a bad way to go, you can sell off whichever one you like least. That's what I did.

Jan 30, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #22 of 43
if you purchase T5p and Sig pro , don't hesitate to write here a review to explain your final choice. it would be very appreciated and informative.
normal_smile .gif

I

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #23 of 43
To date, I've only owned (here comes...) Bose QC3's. And as of now, I think it best to buy one or the other, considering that I haven't really developed the breadth of my audiophile listening preferences, and it may be overwhelming to get both for now. Plus, expense with amps at that point. At some point within the next few months I'd love to own both though. From everything I've read, it seems like the T5P's and the Ultrasone Sig Pros are the way to go for portable, isolating headphones. What perplexes me is that both sound remarkable and unremarkable at the same time, and I'm still unsure as to which to buy. 

I was nearly sold on the T5P's tbh, but then I read some Amazon reviews that said sometimes one of the sides stops working or sounds far more quiet. If I've learned anything from the QC3's (other than that they isolate well), it's that the toughness of a headphone is important to me. I've actually sent in my QC3's three separate times for repair on one of the sides not working or cabling damage. Thus, if the T5P's really do have some repair needed over a year or two, maybe they're not the best option. The Sig Pros, I know, are industrially strong and isolate great. I've also read the Sig Pros may have a better soundstage.

But your description of the T5P's...and this one review I watched on Youtube (great video, very enthusiastic about the T5P's), really are motivating me towards the T5P's. I mean, I'm not kidding when I say that I almost purely listen to:

- Post-rock
- Female Vocals
- Ambient, Classical, light Alt./Indy

If the T5P's with the HeadAmp Pico legitimately sounds more invigorating, great for explosive crescendos in songs, and for depth and quality of soundspace, crisp and glistening Classical piano/violin/some orchestral, and female vocals....then I will get the T5P's for now. If you think that the qualities I mentioned are just as evident and harmoniously presented in the Sig Pros, then I'll get those, as they're more durable and weigh a bit less. As for whether I prefer dark/warm or bright/analytical. That really is a great question, and I wish I wasn't just starting out in the audiophile realm. I know what you mean, as I searched online, but frankly it's still hard to say. I've read that the Sig Pros are more 'musical', and that the T5P's are more artifically created sound (not sure how accurate that is or is not), but beautiful and perhaps even more attractive to the listener's ear. For me, I don't really care about if it's 'artificially produced' or whatever, as long as it sounds amazing, and will bring the passion of music and the music, itself, through me. 

What's your take on the Sig Pros + great portable amp to boot? Does it stack up to the T5P's with great portable amp? 

Jan 31, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #24 of 43
Quote:

What's your take on the Sig Pros + great portable amp to boot? Does it stack up to the T5P's with great portable amp? 

I don't konw anything about T5p . I just read here or therer very good review so i'm quite sure you can't go wrong wit both T5p or Sig pro .

What I know is I really think it would be hard to dislike Sig pro whatever you listen to. You can surely find a better can to listen to specifically rock , you can find better cans to listen to classical .... and  so on . But the SP is one headphone which allow you to listen to anything , everywhere  and anywhere directly from you phone or an average mobile device . and SP definitely ensure you a hi-end  listening experience in the market in all cases.

Last point:  SP improves (noticeably) with good source/amp but I ensure you can really enjoy it from anything. 

But I repeat . T5p or Sig pro are extremely good cans. I would be surprised you don't like the one or the other . Anyway when you spend More than one thousand bucks on something , your mind really want to find it good and to the job of burn in to adapt to your new 1000$ toy
biggrin.gif

Jan 31, 2013 at 6:40 AM Post #25 of 43
Ultrasone Edition 10?

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #26 of 43
if someone is suggesting the momentum, i would say go check out the amperiors too, not that because I'm the amperiors owner or anything, but they do sound good with the music I listen to(rock, alternative, punk). those guys might not feel as comfy at first, but if you can find a sweet spot for them to sit on, they are one of the most comfy on-ear cans around. Plus they don't need to be amped.

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #27 of 43
Just snapped up a pair of the new black Momentums myself from Razordog - they're honoring a $50 off discount on the headphones through January, so I ended up jumping on it today.

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #28 of 43
Okay, guys I think I'm going to have to go after the Sig Pros for the following reasons:

- More durable, or at least it's more ensured
- Weigh less, more portable, less bulky/easier to walk around with
- I have small ears/head, so I'm not worried about clamping. I'm sure comfort with these will be up to par with the T5P's.
- I have read countless times that the Sig Pros make anything sound amazing, that they're great for any genre - versatile headphones. All-rounder type (for closed cans).
- The aesthetic appeal and style are far more to my liking than the Beyerdynamic's, though I wonder if the T5P's look great or better up close.
- Surround sound (S-Logic). I'm unsure as to whether the T5P's have a similar 'surrounding' quality. They're wide/deep from what I read, but maybe don't surround you with sound?

While the T5P's, from what I've read, reproduce clarity, which I love to hear, it seems like the Sig Pros are just simply the more portable headphones. It seems like many people love both of these cans, and that they emit totally different sound, that they're not all that musically comparable. Overall, I think the Sig Pro with a portable amp will be great, and I also like the convenience of using it without an amp to an iPhone, if I so choose.

My only reservations: NZtechfreak really gave a stellar recommendation about the T5P's, and it's making me rethink. I mean if the Pico + TP5's really sound that unbelievable, especially if he/anyone else has compared them directly to the Sig Pros + amp, then it would seem more in my interest (especially considering my music tastes), to go with the T5P's. I guess I just need to know about if rock/classical/female vocals are significantly superior on the T5P's + amp to the Sig Pros + amp. If not, I'll go with the Sig Pros, as they're more 'me'.

Jan 31, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #29 of 43
Bumping just because I'd love one or two more opinions on great, portable amps for the Sig Pros (i.e. one that balances them well).

Would also love to hear another case of why T5P are superior or inferior to the Sig Pros (assuming quality amps provided for both). Lastly. are the T5P's all that portable? The more I look at them, the more bulky/heavy they look, compared to the Sig Pros. In other words, would it be easy to walk around in T5P's? Or would Sig Pros be way easier to wear on the move?

Jan 31, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #30 of 43
The T5p review by a french owner ( who owned other very Hi-end cans too) : http://www.tellementnomade.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=94&t=4020 . you could maybe try google translate to understand what he wrote ?

There's a paragraph where he compared T5p and Sig pro and I sum up the main points:

- T5p is far more comfy but less mobile
- T5p cups stay on cheeks when the heaphone is around the neck so it a bit cumbersome
- Sig pro is more balanced than ed8 , has proheminent bass and trebles. Still V-shaped but less than ed8.
- T5p has  better, clearer, more detailed mids  and better soundstage .

He prefers T5p because his priority is mids but SP is a very good headphone too and is more mobile . as you can read , he compared T5p with many other cans :wink:

I personnaly not consider that SP is so V-shaped . Less than my he-400 for sure.  and SP mids are IMO better and more forward than he400 ( drived by my Hybrid tube Amp which help a lot for midrange ) .. I'm currently listen to Amy Winehouse and Amy's voice sound amazingly with my sig pro.

I've used E17 for few weeks too and it sounded good but less than with my Aune T1 .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back