Best closed back over ear headphones under £300......
Jan 4, 2014 at 12:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

PJD007

New Head-Fier
I'm a UK buyer and I'm struggling to decide which cans to go for, I currently own a pair of Senn IE8's which I've had for around 5yrs, they're still going strong but I just fancy a new pair and these will be my first pair of cans.

I mostly listen to dance music and some hip hop/r'n'b so I want something with good bass, they need to be portable and light weight as I will use them at the gym.

Ah and I will be using them with my samsung SG4 without an amp.

I like the look of the momentums though I've read they're not necessarily a good fit, V Moda M100's look good but then I've read the thread on Creative Aurvana Live 2 so for £100 they seem like a decent buy.

I also like the look of UE 6000, DT770, MDR-1R and the AKG's (though not sure which model to consider ?).

Anything else I should consider ?

Are cans with 50mm drivers much better than 40mm ones ?

Also the problem here in the UK is there aren't many places stocking decent cans so I think I will just have to order several off amazon etc. and return the ones I don't want.

I should also just add I'm no audiophile ! :)

Thanks for any replies.

Jan 4, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #2 of 47
between 200-300 quid it's a very competitive price range, when it comes to closed phones I've heard pretty much all of them in that range and out of them 4 stand out above the rest for me.

Mrspeakers Mad Dog 3.2 at £270 shipped to the UK(I'm selling mine hint hint :wink: lol)

Denon AHD 600

Denon AHD2000/

Beyerdynamic DT770

Jan 5, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #3 of 47
  between 200-300 quid it's a very competitive price range, when it comes to closed phones I've heard pretty much all of them in that range and out of them 4 stand out above the rest for me.

Mrspeakers Mad Dog 3.2 at £270 shipped to the UK(I'm selling mine hint hint :wink: lol)

Denon AHD 600

Denon AHD2000/

Beyerdynamic DT770

I like the look of the dogs but I need to try before I buy so I think I'll be looking at purchases off amazon.

Why are you selling them ?

I like the styling of the denons but I think they're too big to class as portable.

If I order the DT770's should I be getting the 80 or 250 ohm's ?

What about AKG K545 are they worth considering ?

Thanks.

Jan 5, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #4 of 47
  I like the look of the dogs but I need to try before I buy so I think I'll be looking at purchases off amazon.

Why are you selling them ?

I like the styling of the denons but I think they're too big to class as portable.

If I order the DT770's should I be getting the 80 or 250 ohm's ?

What about AKG K545 are they worth considering ?

Thanks.

Just because I'm happy with staying and at Midfi. I  still may keep them it's basically between them and my sony MA900, I will say the Mad Dogs are probably the best closed headphone I've heard under £600.

The Denons are not as big as they seem, they are for portable use and are designed to be both portable and a home phone. As for the DT770 get what you can drive, they are the same.

The 545 are ok sounding but the sound doesn't really grab me, I find that with a lot of the AKG line as most are thin sounding and a tad boring. It depends what you like, I like to feel excitement and musicality enjoy my phones.

Jan 5, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #5 of 47
  Just because I'm happy with staying and at Midfi. I  still may keep them it's basically between them and my sony MA900, I will say the Mad Dogs are probably the best closed headphone I've heard under £600.

The Denons are not as big as they seem, they are for portable use and are designed to be both portable and a home phone. As for the DT770 get what you can drive, they are the same.

The 545 are ok sounding but the sound doesn't really grab me, I find that with a lot of the AKG line as most are thin sounding and a tad boring. It depends what you like, I like to feel excitement and musicality enjoy my phones.

Yeah but the other thing is that the denons may claim to be aimed at the portable market but they don't fold which is what I would expect them to do and I've heard them described as heavy in terms of there weight.

Ok so maybe not the AKG's then as I'm looking for cans that will provide good bass.

Jan 5, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #6 of 47
I can only think of a very small handful of good phones in that price that fold and hardly fit your criteria. As for heavy I don't even feel them on my head at all, the Mad Dogs are what I'd call heavy and clunky the D600 are a dream.

Full size that fold, V-Moda M100 very compact folding that have good bass. They are not as superior as the Denons but they are pretty fun in the Bass. Problem is they lack a lot of detail, the mids sound like they are coming through a tunnel of mud on vocal tracks; but for EDM they are good because of the Bass. They are not what I'd call musical in the mids and highs they are a little dull sounding without much sparkle but again, the Bass is pretty special. at the current price I'd stay away though it's a rip off get a used or wait for a sale.

Alternatives (Although some a bit different in signature but are pretty good)

Beats Studio 2013:  Bassey, fun but a little overpriced but good features.

Audio Technica:  WS77/ WS99, Musical, Mid centric good bass.

Sennheiser Momentum: Warm,Balanced

Skull Candy Mix Master Mike: Excellent balanced phone with a slight boost in Bass.(Bit fragile but look for a re design)

The list is absolutely massive so I can't put them all but the ones I've said should give you somewhere to start, it's all about finding a phone that ticks all the boxes. you seem to have a similar taste to me from what I've gathered so I'd say for your money the best phones you could get for your requirements are

Mad Dog
D600
DT770

These are all super durable, I have a review of my D600 I'm sticking on YouTube of me bending the heck out of them lol

Jan 5, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #7 of 47
  I can only think of a very small handful of good phones in that price that fold and hardly fit your criteria. As for heavy I don't even feel them on my head at all, the Mad Dogs are what I'd call heavy and clunky the D600 are a dream.

Full size that fold, V-Moda M100 very compact folding that have good bass. They are not as superior as the Denons but they are pretty fun in the Bass. Problem is they lack a lot of detail, the mids sound like they are coming through a tunnel of mud on vocal tracks; but for EDM they are good because of the Bass. They are not what I'd call musical in the mids and highs they are a little dull sounding without much sparkle but again, the Bass is pretty special. at the current price I'd stay away though it's a rip off get a used or wait for a sale.

Alternatives (Although some a bit different in signature but are pretty good)

Beats Studio 2013:  Bassey, fun but a little overpriced but good features.

Audio Technica:  WS77/ WS99, Musical, Mid centric good bass.

Sennheiser Momentum: Warm,Balanced

Skull Candy Mix Master Mike: Excellent balanced phone with a slight boost in Bass.(Bit fragile but look for a re design)

The list is absolutely massive so I can't put them all but the ones I've said should give you somewhere to start, it's all about finding a phone that ticks all the boxes. you seem to have a similar taste to me from what I've gathered so I'd say for your money the best phones you could get for your requirements are

Mad Dog
D600
DT770

These are all super durable, I have a review of my D600 I'm sticking on YouTube of me bending the heck out of them lol

With the skulls what do you mean by 're design' ?

Ok you're starting to convince me to order the D600's :)

I liked the look of the Vmoda's but yeah at £270 (they were £240 recently on amazon but gone back up) I'm starting to think I don't need to spend that much, there was a voucher code offering them at around £180 last year and I would've ordered at that price.

Ok so I think this is the order list:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyerdynamic-DT770-PRO-Headset-OHM/dp/B0016MNAAI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1388948645&sr=1-1&keywords=DT770

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Denon-AH-D600-Over-Ear-Headphone/dp/B008MUXTSU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1388948875&sr=1-1&keywords=denon+d600

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-Momentum-Closed-Circumaural-Headphone/dp/B00AZZNXOK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1388948907&sr=1-1&keywords=sennheiser+momentum

The DT770's have a 32 ohm model available for about £40 more than the 80 ohm version, is it worth spending more bearing in mind I'm mostly running them from my smartphone/mp3 player ?

Pity there isn't a store in London that stocks all these models :frowning2:

Ah the D600's are available @ £160 until midnight so for the moment I'm just going to order these and test them out.

http://homeavdirect.co.uk/denon-ah-d600-over-ear-headphones

Thanks for your help

Jan 5, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #8 of 47
The Skullcandy Mix master have a design issues. Basically after around 6 Months they crack. It's a shame because they are excellent for the price. The V-Modas are stunning, them and the D600 are the best looking phones I've owned.

Yeah the current price is disgusting on the M100, about a month ago they where down to £179 which lasted about 2 weeks I'm always checking because at £180 I may snag them up again. at that price I would say they are priced fair. If V-Moda fix the cracking issue on the wing plates which can happen and clean up the Mid range a bit adding a more musical sound while keeping it's Bass  it could really be phenomenal headphone.

The D600 for me is what I expected the M100 to be. The D600 really is an excellent headphone, them and my Sony MA900 are headphones I could live with without buying anymore.

As for paying the extra for the DT770 32 It depends how convenient it is for you for me I would say no. You can get the DTT70 modified for a removable cable for £20 and I find the DT770 80/250 to some a tiny bit more full.

I've seen the DT770 at  £150-£180 and I  think that's a good price because they are great, but the 80ohm at £120-£130 is a bargain.

Jan 5, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #9 of 47
The NAD Viso HP50 are getting some good press:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/i-love-these-headphonesthe-nad-viso-hp50

Also this is available on amazon UK for around £250. The V Moda M100 was available on amazon UK a few weeks ago for close to £180 so might come down in price again.

Jan 5, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #11 of 47
  Dt770 80om, or the denon d600. Are the obvious closed back choices in the uk for availability and price. We get the 80 ohm cheaper than the US does on amazon.

Cheaper than the US, now that is rare !

I've ordered the D600's from Home AV as they were £40 cheaper than Amazon, the only thing is that if I return them they will charge 15% handling so I'm reluctant to order anything else before these arrive though it would've been nice to do a comparison I'm too tight to pay the return cost unless I really have to :)

As long as they feel comfortable I'm sure I will be happy with them.

Jan 5, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #13 of 47
http://homeavdirect.co.uk/denon-ah-d7100-over-ear-headphones

£349 but you've got to be quick as deal is meant to end tonight - £399 at peter tyson and were £600 a year ago and RRP of £999

Slagged off on here but for £349 I reckon it's going to be a steal as long as you're using iphone and/or low impedence headphone amp.

Jan 5, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #14 of 47
  http://homeavdirect.co.uk/denon-ah-d7100-over-ear-headphones

£349 but you've got to be quick as deal is meant to end tonight - £399 at peter tyson and were £600 a year ago and RRP of £999

Slagged off on here but for £349 I reckon it's going to be a steal as long as you're using iphone and/or low impedence headphone amp.

I've ordered the D600's @ £160 from them and I wasn't going to spend over £300 (and to be honest I've talked myself into dropping under £200 now !).

Thanks.

Jan 5, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #15 of 47
  I've ordered the D600's @ £160 from them and I wasn't going to spend over £300 (and to be honest I've talked myself into dropping under £200 now !).

Thanks.

I seriously considered D600s but I couldn't help myself and it's my birthday in less that two weeks - I'm going to be 3 ;o)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back