Best closed and bright headphone under $200
Jan 12, 2014 at 1:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

bigbonustoday

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm looking to spend under $200 on a portable pair of headphones I intend to use during subway commute. I listen to mostly classical music (frequency range 50-10000) and need something with a detailed mid-range and a bright treble. Comfort is also important. Large ear caps preferred.

Sony MDR-V6 seems to have the bright treble and an ok mid-range but doesn't look very comfortable at least in the pictures.

Any suggestion is appreciated!

Franklin

Jan 12, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #2 of 10
  Hi,

I'm looking to spend under $200 on a portable pair of headphones I intend to use during subway commute. I listen to mostly classical music (frequency range 50-10000) and need something with a detailed mid-range and a bright treble. Comfort is also important. Large ear caps preferred.

Sony MDR-V6 seems to have the bright treble and an ok mid-range but doesn't look very comfortable at least in the pictures.

Franklin

The Beyerdynamic DT1350 is $179 from Amazon and sounds almost exactely like the headphone you're looking for. :) The cups are smaller but they're definitely not uncomfortable. I could wear them longer than my other portables. 

Jan 12, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #3 of 10
I find the MDR V6 pretty comfortable. They're a recording studio standard and as such, would have to be comfortable to be worn for long periods of time.

I also recommend the ATH ES700 and the Sennheiser PX100. The ATH is more mid-centric, plus they look just great. The PX100 IMO, is the ultimate portable can - small form factor, excellent sound quality up and down the spectrum and pads can be swapped to affect comfort and presentation.

Jan 12, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #4 of 10

The Beyerdynamic DT1350 is $179 from Amazon and sounds almost exactely like the headphone you're looking for. :) The cups are smaller but they're definitely not uncomfortable. I could wear them longer than my other portables. 

How does Beyerdynamic DT1350 perform in the treble range? I saw some frequency response chart on Headroom.com and the 2k-6k range looks sluggish.

Thoughts?

Jan 12, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #5 of 10
  How does Beyerdynamic DT1350 perform in the treble range? I saw some frequency response chart on Headroom.com and the 2k-6k range looks sluggish.

Thoughts?

Sluggish? Interesting. They're brighter than my HD25-1 II, that I find to be quite bright. The DT1350 has less of a V-curve than the HD25-1 II though and sounds more even across the board. I didn't find treble detail lacking at all. I really believe they are the best portable for classical music under $200 and I think I've heard and owned a lot of them. :) Just read some reviews on them and try 'em. :)

Jan 12, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #6 of 10

Thoughts?

How can a graph look sluggish ? I don't follow that one.

Also thought of another can that receives rave reviews for its classical capability: the DT 660.

Jan 12, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #10 of 10
  Hi,

Franklin

I listen to quite a bit of classical as well as other styles of music (Bartok to Zebrahead).  The Sennheiser HD25-II is always my recommendation for closed back, isolation and an excellent all around set of headphones.  You should be able to easily find them for under $200.  Mind you that they are on ear, but I have never had any complaints about comfort once changing to the velour pads.

Good luck in your search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back