Best classical recordings...ever!
Sep 9, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #9,200 of 9,368
I’m enjoying the 24/96 download of Kirill Petrenko & Berliner Philharmoniker of Tchaikovsky 6th...

Excellent sound quality & performance.

Perhaps enhanced for me after watching video at Digital Concert Hall.

I've got that recording too, and while I admire Petrenko's determination to totally avoid hysteria and over-sentimentality... its just too straight for me. But thankfully, it is far prefereble than the opposite extreme - highly praised but to my ears way-over-the-top milk-every-moment approach of Theodor Curentzis and Musica Eterna.

Igor Markevitch & Philharmonia from 1960s do it all just about right for me.

Oct 20, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #9,205 of 9,368
Her whole Beethoven cycle is terrific..she was very self critical when she recorded them. The earlier sonatas are really special

She told Richter once she didn't like a particular recording of his, he was very amused and agreed .. geniuses don't do bs, ever.. :D

Oct 25, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #9,206 of 9,368
Her whole Beethoven cycle is terrific..she was very self critical when she recorded them. The earlier sonatas are really special

She told Richter once she didn't like a particular recording of his, he was very amused and agreed .. geniuses don't do bs, ever.. :D

Last April, I decided that I wanted to buy another complete set of the Beethoven sonatas. I decided from amongst four pianists: Arrau, Fischer, Goode, and Schiff. Fischer was on the list because you had recommended her. (Thank you.)

I compared their performances of Opp. 27 no. 1, 31 no. 1, 53, 109, and 110. Goode and Schiff had some interesting ideas, but they weren't fully worked out. At those times, their playing became irregular. Arrau and Fischer had fully worked out their interpretations. I found Fischer to be straightforward and bracing. I felt that her playing would have been better suited to the Mozart sonatas. She didn't convey the mysterious aspect of Beethoven. So I bought the Arrau set, which has not disappointed me.

Recently I've been comparing Backhaus, Kempff, and Levit. But, so far, I'm unpersuaded. I shall be considering Gulda as well.

On another note, let me add to the thread a Schumann's Kreisleriana that I had somehow managed to overlook.

81iOed-UJbL._SX522_.jpg

This one made me sit up and think. It has been many years since I've heard an interpretation that took a different angle and made it work, adding something new. No one has surpassed Cortot. But Perahia delivered a very fine, romantic rendition; and Kissin has given us a good, unmannered reading.

Nov 3, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #9,210 of 9,368
@Quinto hadn't heard Annie Fischer before thanks for posting earlier. This live rec of Bartok pianoconcert 3 is great.

R-12710329-1540496172-5354.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back