Best classical recordings...ever!
Aug 19, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #9,136 of 9,368
I confess to being a mostly composed in 17th-19th centuries/recorded in 20th century kind of guy, but I was bowled over by Evelina Vorontsova's Rachmaninoff recording (Piano Sonata No 2 and others). I got it based on a recommendation in Stereophile (buying it was not easy; the only place I could find it was a Dutch online store, and I couldn't have done it without the Google translator). Very interesting music, sensational performance, and amazing sound quality.

Aug 20, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #9,137 of 9,368
great performance, so sblime.

Folder.jpg

Aug 22, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #9,138 of 9,368
Apologies if this isn't the right thread to ask this but I'm working on a lossless playlist of popular classical music and I can't for the life of me find the orchestral interpretation of Schubert's Standchen D 957 for purchase. The interpretations Ive come across are either arrangements for piano or vocal. Any help?

Aug 23, 2017 at 2:33 AM Post #9,139 of 9,368
The search for music that you will treasure three decades from now seems to be the problem from the start. No other music genre demands that of its listener, and often it is difficult to know at the time what you will treasure three decades from now. As far as recordings, I think there have been a lot of amazing recordings done in the 21st century, and there are dozens of great conductors, orchestras, ensembles, and thousands of individual musicians who are outstanding. At least as good as in previous eras. The biggest difference is the audience.

Classical enthusiasts tend to be very dependent on what people at the time thought or said about a particular recording or performance. Take Bach's cello suites, for instance. I'm listening to a remastered version of Janos Starker's 1950s and 1960s recordings in high resolution (176/24). It sounds great, and it is truly amazing playing. But to say that it surpasses, without a doubt, all of the recordings done in the past 15-20 years would be very naive. If I buy a new recording, I'm not necessarily looking for the one I will listen to in 30 years, but rather the one I want to hear now.

I don't actually know that many living composers I enjoy or would compare to Bach, Beethoven, or even Sibelius. Still, I'm a fan of many 20th century guys like Bax, Britten, Cace, Takemitsu, Walton and others.

Again, no one goes out to by a rock or hip-hop album with the intent of finding the one they will cherish until they die. It's completely over-the-top. Why do that with classical? Many of the small and mid-sized record labels, like Bis, Alpha, CPO, Linn and Hyperion, among others are putting out great new music, and new recordings. I stay away from Decca, DG, and other big labels, but that's not to say they're bad, I just prefer to have a fresh look on things. It's the conservatism of the genre that generally means the big-label stuff frankly sucks in comparison to the smaller ones.

Some classical music has truly stood the test of time . "no one goes out to by a rock or hip-hop album with the intent of finding the one they will cherish until they die. It's completely over-the-top. Why do that with classical?"
I would argue that classical music culture is rooted in an actual live performance tradition quite unlike the contemporary popular music you are referring to which is a product of music production mostly.

Classical music is a matured cultural phenomenon over centuries and most of the actual cultural relevance to society is marginalized. Much of the "great recordings" which are more famous often are of dead conductors (and musicans) who were directly connected to that live performance culture and were documented in action.

"Classical enthusiasts tend to be very dependent on what people at the time thought or said about a particular recording or performance." All music enthusiasts do this of any style. Especially if they are connected to the living culture from which the music comes from.

Unfortunately, classical music is largely divorced from general society. Much of it is in the museum department. The reason many "great recordings" are great is because there weren't so many skilled musicians and it took great personalities with distinctive skill and talents.You refer ro Starker, the reason his recording is great is because it was pioneering and unique and at the forefront of recorded classical culture. Casals would be another example in this context. These days, the market is saturated with technically skilled music but very little new views to much of the traditional repertoire.As for new music it's often too culturally irrelevant to be a cultural phenomenon at all. This despite a lot of quality recordings as you mention. I will say that even though you "stay away from" the big labels, you do yourself a great disservice. It's hard to underestimate the impact they have had on classical music culture in the modern "recorded" age. They captured much of the great recordings of history.

It's the conservatism of the genre that generally means the big-label stuff frankly sucks in comparison to the smaller ones.[/QUOTE]

lol....
The reason many historically great recordings are such is they towered above their competition at the time they were relevant. And they are still relevant to many.

I think these points are relevant to what the title of this thread actually says. I have tried consistently over the years to include modern/comtemporary recordings which I honestly believe are the best of their kind.Some are even on the new labels you've mentioned Even if their kind was a small culture of society.

The reason many historically great recordings are such is they towered above their competition at the time they were relevant. And they are still relevant to many.

Cheers!

Aug 23, 2017 at 4:54 AM Post #9,140 of 9,368
and i just thought clasical music's appeal was done to the fact that so many people like to listen to these cover bands

Aug 26, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #9,142 of 9,368
Sep 18, 2017 at 3:21 AM Post #9,145 of 9,368

Users who are viewing this thread

Back