Best classical recordings...ever!
Nov 4, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #8,777 of 9,368
The Szell-Haydn set is a real gem imo. Listen to the 2nd mvt of #93. Towards the end, the orch falls silent, and a single oboe lets out a loud FART. Absolutely hilarious, and it destroys the widely spread notion that Szell was a humorless dictator of a conductor! It's one of my favorite moments in that box set. Pity Szell did not record more Haydn symphs.

Nov 4, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #8,778 of 9,368
  Tonight I'm listening Haydn Symphony performed by George Szell and Cleveland Orchestra.
Its so clean and played beautifully. 

Very interesting! I love Haydn symphonies but somehow have a hard time finding performances that are to my liking. Bernstein's (with few exeptions) were a huge disappointment to me for example.

Most def. gonna try this, thanks!

Nov 4, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #8,779 of 9,368
  The Szell-Haydn set is a real gem imo. Listen to the 2nd mvt of #93. Towards the end, the orch falls silent, and a single oboe lets out a loud FART. Absolutely hilarious, and it destroys the widely spread notion that Szell was a humorless dictator of a conductor! It's one of my favorite moments in that box set. Pity Szell did not record more Haydn symphs.

Bassoon fart. 
smile.gif
 And my other recordings of the symphony don't compare in this regard.

Several years ago Sony Korea released a Szell mega-box.  I hoped it would be released in the U.S. (as was the Bruno Walter box, which I bought), but no.  However, since then I have purchased remastered versions of his Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven and Brahms, mostly from Japan.  I also have several SACDs released by Sony in the early days of that format (Schumann, Mendelssohn, Strauss, Dvorak).  Since I started listening to classical music, there is no conductor I have found more reliable.

Nov 4, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #8,780 of 9,368
  Bassoon fart. 
smile.gif
 And my other recordings of the symphony don't compare in this regard.

Several years ago Sony Korea released a Szell mega-box.  I hoped it would be released in the U.S. (as was the Bruno Walter box, which I bought), but no.  However, since then I have purchased remastered versions of his Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven and Brahms, mostly from Japan.  I also have several SACDs released by Sony in the early days of that format (Schumann, Mendelssohn, Strauss, Dvorak).  Since I started listening to classical music, there is no conductor I have found more reliable.

You're right. Bassoon, not oboe. Brain cramp on my part.

His Beethoven cycle is excellent, right up there with Bernstein/VPO, Chailly/Leipzig, and Karajan/BPO 1963,1977.

Nov 4, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #8,782 of 9,368
Bassoon fart. :smile:  And my other recordings of the symphony don't compare in this regard.

I keep looking at the now ultra-expensive Szell mega-box... I do wish that Sony would issue an absolutely complete, perfectly remastered set of the recordings that they own. There is so much in his discography that is world-class. Thanks for bringing it up!

Nov 5, 2016 at 1:36 AM Post #8,784 of 9,368
The Sony box isn't showing up on the UK Amazon site, alas... I think that last time I saw it, it was priced at over $600...

Nov 5, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #8,788 of 9,368
Sony has complete Szell recording...but it's $200.

It's not the complete Sony recordings. One can see that some are missing from the list. Also, it doesn't include Szell's main European recordings.

Anyway, that Haydn set is my second favorite, after Beecham. Szell is actually more faithful temperamentally to Haydn, but Beecham is more fun. (Sometimes the conductor or performer whose personality is more like the composer's might not recreate the most satisfying performance.) Reiner's no. 88 is another favorite.

Nov 5, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #8,789 of 9,368
It's not the complete Sony recordings. One can see that some are missing from the list. Also, it doesn't include Szell's main European recordings.

Anyway, that Haydn set is my second favorite, after Beecham. Szell is actually more faithful temperamentally to Haydn, but Beecham is more fun. (Sometimes the conductor or performer whose personality is more like the composer's might not recreate the most satisfying performance.) Reiner's no. 88 is another favorite.

WOW, I never heard Reiner perform Haydn... 
Beecham, I think of him as Delius Conductor, he's SOOOO good with Delius' music.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back