Best classical recordings...ever!
Nov 5, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #8,791 of 9,368

right now this is one of my favorite Haydn cd's..'Mein Gott, warum hast du mich verlassen' is stunning (du..lol)

I thought you said you were an atheist? 
biggrin.gif

Nov 6, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #8,794 of 9,368

Anyone interested in Haydn`s symphonies should check out Roy Goodman`s recordings with the Hanover Band.

The set by Adam Fischer and his Esterhazy orchestra is also superb -- modern instruments in "HIP" performances.

I'm working through the Haydn Quartets by Festetics and Kodaly Quartets. Opus 20 and 33 are really gems. May have to try the London Haydn Quartet discs of those.

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #8,795 of 9,368
Just found this listening companion guide, by the Haydn Society:

http://www.musicandarts.com/linernotes/files/The-String-Quartets-of-Joseph-Haydn-The-Haydn-Society-LP-Liner-Notes.pdf

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #8,796 of 9,368

The set by Adam Fischer and his Esterhazy orchestra is also superb -- modern instruments in "HIP" performances.

I'm working through the Haydn Quartets by Festetics and Kodaly Quartets. Opus 20 and 33 are really gems. May have to try the London Haydn Quartet discs of those.

I took a course on the Mozart and Haydn quartets last spring.  I listen to the early quartets performed by the Kodaly and/or Tatrai Quartets via Tidal, along with recordings I have of most of the later quartets performed by the Amadeus Quartet and/or Quatours Mosaiques.

For the Mozart, I like the Alban Berg Quartet for the last 10.  Friends raved about the Talich Quartet complete cycle in a bargain box, but I wasn't thrilled (and my box was missing a disc), so I returned it.

Nov 6, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #8,797 of 9,368
^ Taking a course is well worth the time -- wish I had time to do a college-level course on Mozart/Beethoven chamber works.

So many fine quartets, so little time. Haven't yet heard the Tatrai do Haydn; the only ones available without breaking the bank are on iTunes.

I have the Talich doing Mozart's early quartets (Milan, Vienna quartets etc), and they are very good. The Bergs as well with late quartets are fine; my go-to is still the Quartetto Italiano and some of the Amadeus Quartet, although the SQ on the latter can be too fatiguing (strings too forward, a bit too much screech on some of the quartets).

Nov 6, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #8,798 of 9,368
  ^ Taking a course is well worth the time -- wish I had time to do a college-level course on Mozart/Beethoven chamber works.

So many fine quartets, so little time. Haven't yet heard the Tatrai do Haydn; the only ones available without breaking the bank are on iTunes.

I have the Talich doing Mozart's early quartets (Milan, Vienna quartets etc), and they are very good. The Bergs as well with late quartets are fine; my go-to is still the Quartetto Italiano and some of the Amadeus Quartet, although the SQ on the latter can be too fatiguing (strings too forward, a bit too much screech on some of the quartets).

Sold! (Maybe.)  I ordered the Quartetto Italiano megabox from BestBuy for $100 plus tax (and free shipping).  Of course it's on "back order."  We'll see if it ever comes back in stock.

Nov 6, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #8,799 of 9,368

I agree with Goodman or Fischer's recordings, I do love Dorati and Hogwood (not complete) too...I was looking through my collections and I found Jochums DG and Berlin Classic recordings.  Also Solti's London Symphonies. They're all really fabulous.  If anyone interested in Norrington or Harnoncourt interpretations?

Nov 6, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #8,800 of 9,368

I agree with Goodman or Fischer's recordings, I do love Dorati and Hogwood (not complete) too...I was looking through my collections and I found Jochums DG and Berlin Classic recordings.  Also Solti's London Symphonies. They're all really fabulous.  If anyone interested in Norrington or Harnoncourt interpretations?

Thanks. Lots there. Harnoncourt intrigues me. I see him as a somewhat overly-scholarly (read: humorless) conductor. Not especially well-suited for Haydn's symphonies. But Harnoncourt produced one of my fav Beethoven symph sets with the Chamber Orch of Europe -- HIP-style with modern instruments, and very listenable. So, I'm intrigued. Have not heard any of his Haydn, as I'm perhaps too prejudiced. (He also did some fabulous Mozart masses with his Wien group -- available complete on iTunes).

Nov 7, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #8,801 of 9,368

LOL.

Using modern instruments is by definition not a "HIP".
Great or not.

While I get your point.

Interestingly enough (to me at least) is the fact that the use of harpsichord accompaniment for Haydn`s symphonies is not a settled point.
There has been some interesting debate between Christopher Hogwood and Roy Goodman on this topic.
If one is interested in the historically informed perspective it is, if nothing else, fascinating IMO to compare their two sets.
You don`t even need to take a college course 
beyersmile.png
. It still takes a long time to listen to both sets though. Especially "critically".

That said I also believe Haydn`s symphonies work well with Orchestras of all types; modern, historical, big or small. This is why he has also been one of the most over programmed  composers for orchestra concerts and recordings IMO. His music is really difficult for competent musicians to make sound bad. It`s clear lines and form also make it an easy choice for a conductor to interpret. 

Nov 7, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #8,803 of 9,368
^ "HIP" often means performances that mimic (closely or not) the tempi, phrasing, and spatial dynamics (orchestral seating arrangements) of performances that occurred during the period when a composer was alive. A lot of it may be inferred from orig scores of the composer, especially the tempi and phrasing. So, one can still use non-period instruments (modern) and still aim for "authentic" tempi etc.  I don't believe modern instruments and HIP are mutually exclusive. The results can be very good to a listener.

Honestly, I think the whole period instrument business is pure hogwash. People of the 18th century could care less about "period" instruments and "period" practice. They wanted novel pieces for their entertainment, with smashing cadenzas and superb displays of virtuosity by the composer/performer, especially in concerti. And they quickly forgot last month's (or last week's!) concerts. So, I'm not convinced that period instrument performances are even needed in the discography. However, I am in support of performance that strives to preserve the composer's intents with regards to tempi, phrasings, etc.  imho.

Nov 7, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #8,804 of 9,368

I agree with Goodman or Fischer's recordings, I do love Dorati and Hogwood (not complete) too...I was looking through my collections and I found Jochums DG and Berlin Classic recordings.  Also Solti's London Symphonies. They're all really fabulous. 

These recordings are all quite great IMO. It would take MANY years to hear them all properly and still one could hear new things in them after those years.

Unfortunately for me though, I often find Norrington and Harnoncourt uninteresting. No matter what they do. I admit I`ve only dipped my toes into their Haydn however and am biased due to one o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back