Best classical recordings...ever!
Oct 28, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #8,748 of 9,368

Which Phillips box set are you talking about?

There are many of them...take your pick...
Serenades (a real GEM)
Concertos (Piano with Brendel others/ASMF)
Sonatas (Uchida)
Piano Duets
etc etc

i want the new mozart 225 edition just to complete the missing pieces (world premieres)

Oct 28, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #8,750 of 9,368
  i want the new mozart 225 edition just to complete the missing pieces (world premieres)

go for it!

Probably the best rec imo of Mozart's concerto for viloin, PIANO, and orchestra D-major is the one by Midori, Imai, and Eschenbach. Wow. I wished Mozzie had written more ctos for violin & piano.

Oct 29, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #8,751 of 9,368
Trying to decide if $75 and possible stress getting to a flight is worth it to see the Emerson Quartet in Boston next month. The money and possible stress aside, has anyone seen Emerson lately? Seem to be the most famous, if not necessarily the absolute best American quartet that I know of. 

Looks to be their standard fare, which nevertheless, isn't a bad thing:

MOZART: Quartet in D minor, K.421 
SHOSTAKOVICH: Quartet No. 10 in A-flat 
Major, Opus 118 
RAVEL: Quartet in F Major

Oct 29, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #8,752 of 9,368
  Trying to decide if $75 and possible stress getting to a flight is worth it to see the Emerson Quartet in Boston next month. The money and possible stress aside, has anyone seen Emerson lately? Seem to be the most famous, if not necessarily the absolute best American quartet that I know of. 

Major, Opus 118 

go and tell us how they are these days
biggrin.gif
!  K421 is a gorgeous quartet!

Oct 29, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #8,753 of 9,368
Hopefully everything will work out. I've read that Jordan Hall is a cool venue for chamber music. I may be stupid for not going to Symphony Hall, but their tickets are really expensive, and there's so much free or cheap stuff going on in the week I'm going to be in Boston.I'll report back. 

Oct 29, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #8,754 of 9,368
  Hopefully everything will work out. I've read that Jordan Hall is a cool venue for chamber music. I may be stupid for not going to Symphony Hall, but their tickets are really expensive, and there's so much free or cheap stuff going on in the week I'm going to be in Boston.I'll report back. 

Sounds very cool, have fun!

Oct 29, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #8,755 of 9,368
"Probably the best rec imo of Mozart's concerto for viloin, PIANO, and orchestra D-major is the one by Midori, Imai, and Eschenbach. Wow. I wished Mozzie had written more ctos for violin & piano."

Thanks for this suggestion, I just went and listened to this recording and I found it to be fantastic.

Oct 29, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #8,757 of 9,368

go and tell us how they are these days
biggrin.gif
!  K421 is a gorgeous quartet!

+1 on the K.421. I remember the Juilliard playing it in the Queen Elizabeth Hall in London 35 years ago. One of the greatest performances of anything that I have heard - and the piece...wow.

Oct 29, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #8,758 of 9,368

Major, Opus 118 

the Ravel is a gorgeous piece - those colours and textures...

Oct 29, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #8,759 of 9,368

Major, Opus 118 

This is a terrific programme, my friend. You can't go wrong.
Do visit Harvard Square and the small independent bookstores there on campus -- walk around! It's a great campus!

If you have time (and some money), take a train to Manhattan for an overnight, and catch a concert there too -- the NY Philharmonic, Carnegie Hall, and numerous other venues like the 92nd Street Y.

http://www.92y.org/Uptown/Performing-Arts.aspx

Let us know how it all works out for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back