Best classical recordings...ever!
Sep 26, 2016 at 5:18 AM Post #8,491 of 9,368
Insane ^^ 

Those pieces never make so much sense as music until you hear the Chilean Arrau play them.

This inspired me read a bit of his biography. I've always been impressed by the recording quality of his work, and now I realize it's mainly because he was one of those rare prodigies who began performing at age 11 in the 1910s and continued to grow in musical maturity right into his 80s. Perhaps one of the greatest stories of 20th century piano. It seems that in addition to his technical and expressive abilities, his most charming aspect was his genuine curiosity and probing desire to really understand deeply everything he ever played.  

For a more tragic story, I was just reading about Van Cliburn (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/28/arts/music/van-cliburn-pianist-dies-at-78.html). He wasn't that familiar to me, and neither did I ever hear about him from anyone in my parent's generation. 

Still, this 1958 performance of Rachmaninoff in Moscow by the American "Van" Cliburn stands as one of the most interesting cultural moments in classical music of the 20th century. As a young Texan he won the hearts of the people of Russia at the height of the Cold War, and achieved instant fame in the US only to decline just a few years later. The recording quality is not amazing, but the video is worth watching to gain an appreciation for the obsessive popularity of classical music at that time. 

Sep 26, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #8,493 of 9,368
Arrau's Beethoven is superb, of course. It's his Mozart sonatas (Philips) that surprised me. Really compelling listening, as his Mozart is darker than I expected. Not the candy so often linked to Mozart's sonatas.

Haven't heard his Liszt yet. I wish he had done more Schubert sonatas.

Sep 26, 2016 at 7:19 AM Post #8,495 of 9,368

Thanks, I just ordered a cheapie from Amazon.

Read also Brendel's writings.

https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=alfred+brendel

I read most of Brendel's writings, though somehow I don't like it a lot.. can't stand his interviews as well
biggrin.gif

Sep 26, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #8,497 of 9,368

I read most of Brendel's writings, though somehow I don't like it a lot.. can't stand his interviews as well
biggrin.gif

I find him to be very thoughtful (intellectual), and his writings reflect that -- he sometimes rambles, with a somewhat professorial air. He's definitely a scholar of music history and literature in general.

Sep 28, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #8,502 of 9,368
  I am pissed at one of my Friends here in my city, he told me he has a doubt in my IQ score.... no matter if i told i listen to classical music
biggrin.gif
​ and i decided to make a free online IQ test to see my score as i never knew mine until a few moments ago... 120

Ignore this so called friend of yours. Even better, stop seeing him. And for the name of all that is holy, ignore this IQ lunacy. IQ tests only apply to your ability  to solve a problem in a given time, it completely ignores other very important skills, e.g. linguistic or drawing skills. Or the ability to hum a tune...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back