Best classical recordings...ever!
Sep 29, 2016 at 4:59 AM Post #8,507 of 9,368
Death and Transfiguration is my favorite Strauss, can't stand his Alpencrap though, makes me wanna through out my stereo and sit in silence in the woods for a year.
tongue.gif

Sep 29, 2016 at 7:36 AM Post #8,510 of 9,368
  Death and Transfiguration is my favorite Strauss, can't stand his Alpencrap though, makes me wanna through out my stereo and sit in silence in the woods for a year.
tongue.gif

That's why I love Alpensinfonie -- I wanna go outdoors, breathe the fresh air, and crap. It's the purpose of the whole piece! 
cool.gif

Sep 29, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #8,514 of 9,368
Can't get enough of Herbert hebe

Got the entire bethoven symphony cycle of the Karajan gold edition for nice discount price at Barnes and noble

Sep 29, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #8,515 of 9,368

My portable earphones, they are said to be bassy but my experience is then other way around, very balanced signature nothing stands out, yes they are warm but not that bassy

Sep 29, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #8,517 of 9,368
  Anyone?

New Amsterdam has some interesting stuff; still working my way through some of it. So far I've liked Friedman's quartets with the Chiara Quartet and some stuff off of the NOW Ensemble's discography. Roomful of Teeth also has their stuff on there, though I can only take them in small doses.

Sep 29, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #8,518 of 9,368
Can't get enough of Herbert hebe

Got the entire bethoven symphony cycle of the Karajan gold edition for nice discount price at Barnes and noble

Not sure what it is but HvK gives me the goosebumps, I can't stand his interpretations.
I wouldn't take any of his stuff even for free.
eek.gif

I think I also had his gold "Alpensinfonie" at some point but I must have given it away.
Just listening to snippets online make me stomach crunch.
mad.gif

But enjoy the gold edition...

Sep 30, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #8,519 of 9,368
What do you guys think of the Linn Messiah with Butt and Dunedin? I don't often love mid-size orchestras with my HD650s, but this particular recording (in 88/24) is particularly vibrant and actually has a slight tinge of brightness with some headphones. 

I know that sometimes discussing works that have religious connotation can be a slippery slope, with some preferring to feel the religious aspects (and I totally get that) rather than focus on the technical details of the notes on the page, but to me this recording seems to correctly balance grandiosity with the purity of the music. This is largely thanks to the use of soloists instead of choirs, and a small orchestra. 

Sep 30, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #8,520 of 9,368
^ I haven't heard that version of the Messiah yet, and if it's a leaner orchestra, that may be a real ear opener. As long as it's not period instruments......

I've listened to many recs of Mozart's Requiem, and the one I come back to is the Boston Baroque's recording with Pearlman conducting. I can hear every phrase clearly, without brightness, on my floor system. (I'm not religious, so I can listen purely for the rhythms and pacing).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back