Best classical recordings...ever!
Sep 16, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #8,461 of 9,368
Sorry if this has been asked before. I would appreciate recommendations for LVB's Ninth. Just listened to Barenboim's rendition and I'm now curious to hear how others have interpreted it. A box set recommendation for all the Beethoven symphonies would be even better.

Sep 16, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #8,462 of 9,368
  Sorry if this has been asked before. I would appreciate recommendations for LVB's Ninth. Just listened to Barenboim's rendition and I'm now curious to hear how others have interpreted it. A box set recommendation for all the Beethoven symphonies would be even better.

There are lots of good recommendations in this very thread. Just search the thread for "Beethoven symphonies" and have fun reading. Some good recommendations pop up beginning with the second post in the thread: 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/626563/best-classical-recordings-ever#post_8682439

There was a good discussion about complete sets in the thread a year ago beginning with this post: 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/626563/best-classical-recordings-ever/6915#post_12116103

I posted some of my favorite complete sets in another thread a few months ago: 
There are so many great options. A lot depends upon what type of performance style you prefer -- modern instruments, period instruments, or historically informed on modern instruments -- and how much you care about hi-res sound quality.

Of the sets I have owned, I would recommend: 

- modern instruments - Vanska on Bis (SACD or hi-res download on eClassical.com); Wand on RCA (get the big Gunter Wand: The Great Recordings box set with Wand's Beethoven, Bruckner, Brahms, etc.); Von Karajan 1963 on DG; Leibowitz (available in a cheap mp3 download on Amazon). 
- period instruments - Gardiner on Archiv (there are other good sets, but none that I've listened to enough to single out). 
- historically informed on modern instruments - Paavo Jarvi on RCA (SACD); Zinman on Arte Nova / RCA / Sony (get the big Beethoven: Complete Masterpieces box set)

If I had to pick only one set, I'd probably go for Vanska/Bis or Paavo Jarvi/RCA, both on SACD, for the combination of performance and sound quality.
But you'd want to supplement with specific performances, such as Wand's 9th Symphony, among others. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/808665/popular-classical-music/30#post_12604282

Enjoy. 

Sep 16, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #8,463 of 9,368

My own personal web blog. Biased of course. Enjoy.

xrewt

Sep 16, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #8,464 of 9,368
  If I had to pick only one set, I'd probably go for Vanska/Bis or Paavo Jarvi/RCA, both on SACD, for the combination of performance and sound quality.
But you'd want to supplement with specific performances, such as Wand's 9th Symphony, among others. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/808665/popular-classical-music/30#post_12604282

+1 for Vänskä and Järvi (something about ä and LvB). As good "cousin" options to these, I'd recommend Fischer+RCO and Norrington+SWR.

Sep 17, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #8,467 of 9,368
  Thanks for your help, everyone re:  LvB's symphonies.

CanadianMaestro, your blog is a wealth of information. Thanks for taking the time to put it together.

+1 keeps me smiling, velomane.
Take your time.
beerchug.gif

Sep 19, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #8,468 of 9,368
The performance of the Fantasie is terrific on this disc, as is the sound. His Heldenleben is good too, although I still prefer Karajan for that.  Had never even heard of the Fantasie til now. Wished all of DG's recs were like this one.

Sep 20, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #8,469 of 9,368
My own personal web blog. Biased of course. Enjoy.

https://sites.google.com/site/audiosystemphotos/desert-island-recordings

Wow, this is incredibly helpful. Thanks for putting it together! 

I am just starting to really get into classical music. Coming from jazz, and getting better audio gear. Right now I am listening to "Andris Nelsons & Boston Symphony Orchestra - Shostakovich Under Stalin's Shadow - Symphony 10". Listened to it last night on my hd700 and was enraptured. Listening to it this morning again on my CA Andromeda - just amazing. No idea if this is considered "good" classical but I am thoroughly enjoying it!

Sep 20, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #8,471 of 9,368
  Wow, this is incredibly helpful. Thanks for putting it together! 

I am just starting to really get into classical music. Coming from jazz, and getting better audio gear. Right now I am listening to "Andris Nelsons & Boston Symphony Orchestra - Shostakovich Under Stalin's Shadow - Symphony 10". Listened to it last night on my hd700 and was enraptured. Listening to it this morning again on my CA Andromeda - just amazing. No idea if this is considered "good" classical but I am thoroughly enjoying it!

No problem, it's just a hobby site....
tongue_smile.gif

Shosta symphs are really interesting and out of mainstream, coming from LvB (Beethoven) and the classicists. Do let us know what you think about that disc with Nelsons and BSO. I considered buying it for its SQ!

btw, he is the husband of the sublime mezzo-soprano, Elina Garanca.

@uchi: Levit, have only heard his LvB late sonatas. I like Pollini's Diabellis.

Sep 20, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #8,472 of 9,368
  No problem, it's just a hobby site....
tongue_smile.gif

Shosta symphs are really interesting and out of mainstream, coming from LvB (Beethoven) and the classicists. Do let us know what you think about that disc with Nelsons and BSO. I considered buying it for its SQ!

btw, he is the husband of the sublime mezzo-soprano, Elina Garanca.

@uchi: Levit, have only heard his LvB late sonatas. I like Pollini's Diabellis.

Got it on iTunes, quality sounds great to me!

Sep 21, 2016 at 5:02 AM Post #8,473 of 9,368
Enjoing this recording of Beethoven Concerto No. 3, but not on this album (The Truth of Beethoven, Helicon set). Am curious how the Mozart Concerto No. 22 sounds. Anyone heard this album? 

Sep 21, 2016 at 6:45 AM Post #8,474 of 9,368
  Enjoing this recording of Beethoven Concerto No. 3, but not on this album (The Truth of Beethoven, Helicon set). Am curious how the Mozart Concerto No. 22 sounds. Anyone heard this album? 

EDIT:  ^ I never realized Fischer was that petite! Or maybe Klemperer's just a giant.....

I have her in #22 with Sawallisch/Philharmonia. Very good. She has that Mozartian touch. Her #20 with Boult is even finer.
But her Beethoven sonatas are better imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back