Best classical recordings...ever!
Sep 28, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #6,241 of 9,368

That would be true if one did it to excess and often​. What it does do is make a dreary life shut in for nearly 10 years now with COPD and very painful osteoarthritis a little less dreary. Balance in all things  my friend, balance!
The music is far more important then a couple of drams of alcohol...it just makes it more enjoyable.

Leo

Very true and well-expressed. Keep your discs/vinyl spinning. And post any recommendations.

cheers

Sep 28, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #6,242 of 9,368
Question: Does anyone here place Uchida's Schubert sonatas high up there? Maybe not with the likes of Brendel, Lupu, Kempff, and Perahia. But for pure poetry and emotional impact.  There's a beautifully-recorded set on Philips that may be next on my list. I adore Schubert. 

She's best known for her Mozart. But Schubert?

What did you think of her Mozart? I found it a bit precious, but her style may be more appropriate to Schubert.

Sep 28, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #6,243 of 9,368
What did you think of her Mozart? I found it a bit precious, but her style may be more appropriate to Schubert.

She does have a delicacy that may be too much. Even for Mozart, some of the sonatas require a shade of darkness/steeliness of expression that seems to be tempered with her (and especially with Pires, in her first cycle on the Erato label). But overall, I like Uchida's Mozart, even if it's fluffed up a bit.

Seems suited for Schubert's earlier sonatas. Maybe not his Late Sonatas, which are more sombre and gloomier.

signing off for the night....

Sep 29, 2015 at 2:52 AM Post #6,244 of 9,368

I enjoy listening to her recordings, but the few times I have heard her live, I found her playing quite underwhelming. 

Sep 29, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #6,245 of 9,368
  I enjoy listening to her recordings, but the few times I have heard her live, I found her playing quite underwhelming. 

I listen to her recording as sedatives...
biggrin.gif
 worked very fine when I got hospitalized.

Sep 29, 2015 at 6:45 AM Post #6,247 of 9,368
Listened to Levit's late Beeth sonatas last night. Very nice. A refreshing addition to my collection of old-timers like Brendel, Kempff, Arrau, Gilels.

I eagerly await some Lang Lang doing these LOL.

Sep 29, 2015 at 6:54 AM Post #6,248 of 9,368
personally I particularly dislike Gould's late Beethoven (op.109-111) really sounds like crap :D

Ha! I had that example in my draft as one of the stinkers. He was always defensive about that album, possibly why he didn't re-record it.

Here's my favorite (it's live):

Sep 29, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #6,252 of 9,368

Simply put, my favorite mezzo. Her Carmen  is perfect.  Goddess.

I think very few people could disagree with you - she has the most sweet natural tone I have ever heard!

Sep 29, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #6,254 of 9,368
I just realized something very disappointing (to me).

The Vienna Philharmonic has never recorded a complete cycle of Mozart's piano concertos with one pianist. They've done scattered concertos over the years (Bohm/Gilels, Abbado/Gulda).

Sep 29, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #6,255 of 9,368
  I just realized something very disappointing (to me).

The Vienna Philharmonic has never recorded a complete cycle of Mozart's piano concertos with one pianist. They've done scattered concertos over the years (Bohm/Gilels, Abbado/Gulda).

I treasure my complete collection of Mozart's Piano Concertos by Andras Schiff with the Camerata Academica des Mozarteums Salzburg directed bt Sabdor Vegh.. It has given me many hours of pleasure and delight. Have you tried them? 

All the best
Leo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back