Best classical recordings...ever!
Apr 14, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #3,451 of 9,368
  There are new recordings that don't sound natural to me, Like the Beethoven's string quartet/Alexander string quartet. It sounds too digital, Not smooth, Not analog. I don't know how to explain it. Why is that? Are all of the digital recordings like that?

Listen Grasshopper,

I forgot to add one point in my last post:

3: Try new things and sources 
smile.gif

Apr 14, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #3,452 of 9,368
  There are new recordings that don't sound natural to me, Like the Beethoven's string quartet/Alexander string quartet. It sounds too digital, Not smooth, Not analog. I don't know how to explain it. Why is that? Are all of the digital recordings like that?

They all sound like that if your mind is convinced that all digital recordings sound like that.

Apr 14, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #3,454 of 9,368
Apr 14, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #3,455 of 9,368

There are too many to list, or am I missing something?

Depends on your point of view I suppose.
A lot of people disagree with me but I'm actually quite keen on the ABQ  on EMI.
Maybe it"s just the playing (or music) rather than the "sound".
Can't really say it's my "favorite" but it's still quite fine I think.

There are many others I enjoy as well.
Both analog and digital.
I think they've been referred to in the past in this thread so I'll spare y'all....
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 14, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #3,456 of 9,368
  Can you recommend a good analog sounding recording of Beethoven's string quartets?

Check out the hirez Tokyo String Quartets recorded over the past 5 years.  The SACD's are very, very good sounding.

Apr 15, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #3,458 of 9,368
  Can you recommend a good analog sounding recording of Beethoven's string quartets?

I'm currently enjoying the Barylli Quartet very much. They certainly sound 'analogue' and SQ is 'good' (not excellent but good)
Other recommendations are excellent also, in terms of musical expression they may also pull ahead in some parts - but multiple interpretations are always interesting

Apr 15, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #3,460 of 9,368
Btw if anyone's interested in the Decca Sound box set (Not the Analogue Years) , they're at the cheapest I've seen them on amazon UK/IT. They only seem to release them in small batches, so took my chance and grabbed one. Been eyeing it for ages.

Apr 16, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #3,463 of 9,368
  Thanks everyone, Very much appreciated.
Now i am looking for Shostakovitch, which i very much like, In amazing quality. Symphonies, Concerti and quartets (Oh, His quartets! The MADNESSSSSS!)

Too hard to make singleton recommendations for the symphonies. For sets, you can try:
Concertgebouw + Haitink
Dallas + Litton
NSO + Rostropovich
WDR + Barshai
Liverpool + Petrenko
or whatever poorly-recorded old Russian recordings people will send you to.

For the concerti, try:
Violin: Vengerov, Oistrakh, Mordkovitch, Kogan
Cello: Rostropovich, Mørk, Schiff
Piano: no opinion really

Quartets:
Fitzwilliam
Pacifica
Borodin

Apr 16, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #3,464 of 9,368
  Thanks everyone, Very much appreciated.
Now i am looking for Shostakovitch, which i very much like, In amazing quality. Symphonies, Concerti and quartets (Oh, His quartets! The MADNESSSSSS!)

Jansons is great SQ, Kondrashin is great as well.. String quartets Borodin quartet

..piano Melnikov, (2nd) piano trio Algerich/Maisky/Kremer!

youtube:

Apr 16, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #3,465 of 9,368

Pogorelich, never heard such a sensual performance of the Brahms Intermezzo... Complete abandon of the 'proper; Brahmsian interpretation but just wow....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back