Best classical recordings...ever!
Apr 16, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #3,466 of 9,368
  You must get the Decca Sound! It is literally one of the best things ever to happen in my entire life!
I love Decca!! (Tough not all of their recently released digital recordings)

I suspect that most of the regular members who post on this thread already have the box or the individual recordings... You and I are late to the party :)

Apr 16, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #3,467 of 9,368

How about that "search" feature 
tongue.gif

EDIT:

This brings to mind an interesting existential question:
How much of any given thread should be read before contributing?

deadhorse.gif

Apr 16, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #3,468 of 9,368
No doubt a reasonable point. I would agree generally.

But I tend to cut new forum/thread members some slack. Also, I don't think there is too much harm done with a little repetition. People want to discuss some music, but weren't present when they were originally discussed - should be allowed to. Reading is one aspect, but discussion is also a key component in a forum thread and all part of the fun.
normal_smile .gif

Members are free to join in or not, or post about other music.

Apr 16, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #3,469 of 9,368
  No doubt a reasonable point. I would agree generally.

But I tend to cut new forum/thread members some slack. Also, I don't think there is too much harm done with a little repetition. People want to discuss some music, but weren't present when they were originally discussed - should be allowed to. Reading is one aspect, but discussion is also a key component in a forum thread and all part of the fun.
normal_smile .gif

Members are free to join in or not, or post about other music.

OK then, I will AGAIN ask about the Missa Solemnis that I asked about several pages back(to silence).
Either:

A:  Noone read my post.
B:  Noone cares about it.
C:  Folks got better things to do.
D:  Any number of other things.

I personally believe Beethoven's Missa Solemnis is the most neglected masterpiece in this thread.
Maybe this could be remedied.

I'm quite keen on Klemperer, Jochum, Bohm, Karajan and Solti but I've lived with these for a long time(in dog years at least 
biggrin.gif
)
I'm not keen on Gardiner(more or less).

Any thoughts y'all.....

EDIT: This reminds me of a joke: jean Paul Sartre goes into a cafe and orders coffee without cream.
The waitress says: "We have no cream. How about a coffee with no milk"

Apr 16, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #3,470 of 9,368

I personally believe Beethoven's Missa Solemnis is the most neglected masterpiece in this thread.
Maybe this could be remedied.

I'm quite keen on Klemperer, Jochum, Bohm, Karajan and Solti but I've lived with these for a long time(in dog years at least 
biggrin.gif
)
I'm not keen on Gardiner(more or less).

Bernstein and Harnoncourt are worth a shot; I even like the seemingly unpopular Levine recording.

Apr 16, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #3,471 of 9,368

Bernstein and Harnoncourt are worth a shot; I even like the seemingly unpopular Levine recording.

I know I'm irrationally biased but, other than American music, I don't generally go for Bernstein.
I've never heard Harnoncourt nor Levine in this piece.Worth a listen at the very least!

Levine is indeed not popular in this thread.
He saved the BSO from complete irrelevance IMO.

In addition, he's been quite beloved at the Met for some time.
Among other places.

Apr 16, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #3,474 of 9,368
I'd only heard Böhm/VPO and Giulini/LPO's Missa Solemnis. But I've not really sat down for proper repeated listening. So I don't think I've formed an informed opinion as of yet.
Which Klemperer do you mean, VSO or New Philharmonia? There also seems to be a live recording with Concertgebouw from the 50s. Think I'll give all of those a try.

Edit: typo

Apr 16, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #3,475 of 9,368
  I'd only heard Böhm/VPO and Giulini/LPO's Missa Solemnis. But I've not really sat down for proper repeated listening. So I don't think I've formed an informed opinion as of yet.
With Klemperer do you mean, VSO or New Philharmonia? There also seems to be a live recording with Concertgebouw from the 50s. Think I'll give all of those a try.

I'm familiar only with VSO and NP not the last one with Schwarzkopf.
The last one looks amazing at face value though....
Need to go there soon 
smily_headphones1.gif
 !

Apr 16, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #3,476 of 9,368
Year

I'm familiar only with VSO and NP not the last one with Schwarzkopf.
The last one looks amazing at face value though....
Need to go there soon 
smily_headphones1.gif
 !

Yeah currently listening to it (You know me and old recordings...
normal_smile .gif
). Vocalists/chorus coming out more to the fore sounds good. Being a live recording gives a raw sound, which is a positive in this case. I can forget the coughs and hiss here and there. But yeah, I need to familiarise properly before discussing it. Catch up with you on this a while later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back