Best classical recordings...ever!
Apr 13, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #3,436 of 9,368
  Now you are confusing me.
You are very right about the polish and details of many recent recordings and I almost feel superficial about it.
But this polish is something I actually seldom strive for in Baroque music or Bach pieces. In fact one of my favorite Brandenburg recordings is that of Jordi Savall and I wouldn't call his performance that polished.
With Bach's sacred choral works (not the secular cantatas) I prefer a certain degree of polish of the choir and tempi (or pulse if you like) and I think Herreweghe is ideal here. Leonhardt I find too 'square'? Maybe too earthy if you like?
I don't know how to define it.

In general my preferences are rather peculiar when it comes to perfection and polish in classical music. I hate a polished sound in Beethoven for instance, but I can handle Karajan pretty well in Beethoven. Boulez' highly polished and refined renditions of Bartók's orchestral music I like very very much and this goes against my musical intuition: "Bartók's music needs to be rough around the edges". Well apparently not always :)

The achilles heel of perfection in classical music is that you don't realize how complex and difficult some music is. It is always refreshing and mind/ear opening to listen to second tier orchestras at times, it can give you a better idea about the structure of the music than a virtuosic performance. Unfortunately the skill and quality of most orchestras is extremely high nowadays... 
smily_headphones1.gif

I understand your points.I think. 
smile.gif

Interestingly I didn`t mention Savall, but now that you have, I often find his work interesting, not because of polish,  but because he has such a distinctly personal approach.
I can always recognize him when I hear him but depite that, I usually hear something new in the works he performs.

And I think "earthy" is often an apt description of Leonhardt`s work.
Sometimes I feel like his recordings seem a little more human( I feel similarly regarding Savall sometimes) than a lot of other newer folks who sometimes come across as superhuman(often in an amazing way to me) as well.

All that said, I enjoy all the ensembles/performers you mention.
I am particuliarly fond of Freiburger Barokorchester and Herreweghe.

Actually , any performance (including 2nd tier ensembles, especially live) that gives me access to something new (for me) in great compositions; I welcome.

Apr 13, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #3,437 of 9,368

To illustrate the ridiculous big choice you have I name two other excellent recordings:
Hofkappelle Munchen (DHM, 2013) and Florilegium (Channel Classics, 2014)

The last post about those damn Brandenburg Concertos, I'm getting tired of myself...

The Hofkapelle Munchen recording isn't all that excellent after all, they play very LOUD and fast, but with little depth. Concerto no. 1 is almost abbrasive, it wears me out.
You'll find the complete opposite in the Richard Egarr recording, his take on concerto no.1 is very subdued and understated...interesting but in the end rather boring.
John Butt however is excellent in this concerto :)
Florilegium as well.

Apr 13, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #3,438 of 9,368
  Hi everyone!
Upon the recommendations here i just got the Gaite Parisienne & La Boutique Fantasque, And it sounds amazing.
What makes it sound so good as opposed to other recordings?
Is there also a good list with a lot of good sounding classical music? It's is just hard to go through all the pages here...
I also notice that this recording gives me a bit of a headache because of the exaggerated stereo

We had a bit of back and forth about Living Stereo a while back; sorry to send you to the search function ^_^

If the stereo feels exaggerated, try adding in a bit of crossfeed, which is what I do for pretty much all my classical stuff.

Apr 13, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #3,440 of 9,368
  Okay thanks, I'll look into it.
Creating a good classical library is a really tough work.
Is there an organized big list out there with good recordings (Soundwise)?

If you search talkclassical.com you can find lots of lists people have made, if what you find on Google search doesn't fit the bill.

Apr 13, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #3,441 of 9,368
  Hi everyone!
Upon the recommendations here i just got the Gaite Parisienne & La Boutique Fantasque, And it sounds amazing.
What makes it sound so good as opposed to other recordings?
Is there also a good list with a lot of good sounding classical music? It's is just hard to go through all the pages here...
I also notice that this recording gives me a bit of a headache because of the exaggerated stereo

A shortcut to going through this entire thread is to click 'View all' on the 'Recent Images on This Thread' on the top right side of this page. Many posters have posted images of their recommendations so is useful as a glance, albeit not being a comprehensive list of this thread.

Apr 13, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #3,442 of 9,368
RRod, wanted to thank you for the recommendations on Brahm's Double and Beethoven's Triple! I was unfamiliar with these pieces and just listened to

Apr 13, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #3,443 of 9,368
Sorry premature post...she hates when that happens :smirk:

Schneiderhan, Anda, Fournier and Starker's take, quite good, beautiful!

Apr 13, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #3,444 of 9,368
RRod, wanted to thank you for the recommendations on Brahm's Double and Beethoven's Triple! I was unfamiliar with these pieces and just listened to

No prob! Not the deepest mullings-over by either composer, but solid concertante writing in both cases. I guess one should mention the Mozart K364 with them, in case you haven't heard that one.

Apr 14, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #3,445 of 9,368
Listening to a download (not high rez) of Dvorak Symphony No. 8. Very nice, I listen to the 9th all the time and tend to neglect the lower numbered symphonies, but they are quite good as well. I really like this #8, very enjoyable. I don't know if there is a cd of this available. It is by Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra  directed by Manfred Honeck.

Apr 14, 2015 at 5:42 AM Post #3,446 of 9,368
  Listening to a download (not high rez) of Dvorak Symphony No. 8. Very nice, I listen to the 9th all the time and tend to neglect the lower numbered symphonies, but they are quite good as well. I really like this #8, very enjoyable. I don't know if there is a cd of this available. It is by Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra  directed by Manfred Honeck.

Pitt+Honeck is a great combo; give their Mahler a try as well.

Apr 14, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #3,447 of 9,368
  Also what does living stereo mean? Where those recordings recorded digitally? Is there anything special about them?
Thanks!

Minimalistic analog recording from the late 50's, early 60's where the conductor and orchestra in a great acoustic space determined the sound and capable engineers tried to capture it as live as possible. No multi miking and heavy post processing but dynamic natural sound.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/626563/best-classical-recordings-ever/3165#post_11445507

Users who are viewing this thread

Back