Best classical recordings...ever!
May 6, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #1,801 of 9,368
I'm interested in the two Smetana string quartets. Which recordings should I consider?

I tend to prefer less seamless interpretations, such as the Cleveland and Julliard compared to the Emerson, but I'm open to anything great. How's the Hollywood String Quartet version?

What other music by Smetana should I take in (besides Má Vlast)?

Thanks much.

May 7, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #1,802 of 9,368

Arrived today
smile.gif

May 7, 2014 at 4:50 AM Post #1,803 of 9,368
  I'm interested in the two Smetana string quartets. Which recordings should I consider?

I tend to prefer less seamless interpretations, such as the Cleveland and Julliard compared to the Emerson, but I'm open to anything great. How's the Hollywood String Quartet version?

Thanks much.

Smetana is underapreciated in non Slavic speaking world due to the language barrier - but his choruses are great.
That at least some of the above may well not be true, is examplified by the fact that my copy of it was obtained from the States roughly 20 years ago - on LP pressed under the licence from Supraphon in the USA, prior to the availability of the current CD ( released in 1966 ): 

http://www.supraphon.com/en/catalogue/on-line-database/detail/?idtitulu=1733

May 7, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #1,805 of 9,368

Gee, I hate to break your streak by recommending a non-US group :wink: but... You should hear an eastern European group in this music, e.g. Takacs or Talich Quartets. Apparently the one on Naxos is good too, though I haven't heard it.

Other works: his overtures. The operas, if you are into that sort of thing. His piano trio is undeservedly obscure. His early "Festive" symphony is ... not great.

A few weeks back I decided it was time to 'get into Mahler', the impression I get is that if you like romantic music you're going to find yourself at Mahler sooner or later, but at the same time it can be a bit hard to get in to. A little bit of Googling and it seems Symphony no. 2 is the best place to start, so I bought myself the BPO/Rattle and by the second listen I'm hooked.

So the question is, which one should I listen to next?

If the cheap EMI boxsets are still available, you should just pick up Bertini and Tennstedt's sets (& Rattle's recording of 10). Then take your time working your way through. I recommend listening to the 5th symphony next; after the programmatic early symphonies, it's sort of the overture to his later phase. The Karajan recording is top notch (probably K's best work in Mahler).

I've been delving into Bruckner as I do every now and then. Not sure what you guys think of him? I know he creates polarizing opinions. But I'm guessing because there seems to be a lot of Wagner fans here that he might be appreciated. 

I still find a good chunk of his symphonies frustrating to listen to (his way of teasing). But his 8th and 9th are two of the greatest symphonies ever written imo. His 6th is not far behind.

Anyways, if there are fans here - what set would you recommend? I have Barenboim, Chailly, one of RCA Wands, and Karajan's.

I personally still think that Karajan got him right. Stodgy, exaggerated with huge emphasis on the strings textures.    

I'm a big Bruckner fan - I even have a T-shirt! http://www.cafepress.com.au/mf/14216151/bruckner_tshirt?productId=71902030

Karajan's cycle is the best I've heard overall, though it desperately needs remastering. His EMI 4 and 7 are great. There's a 1966 9th which I think overrated; also a DG DVD with 8, 9 and the Te Deum in the best performance I've heard.
From what I've heard of Wand his later recordings are well played but lack a bit of personality. His early Cologne set is more extroverted and expressive.
Since encountering the finale, I can't really listen to the incomplete 9th anymore; - I favour Wildner's recording, though it's split across discs; Rattle's version is stillborn IMHO.
Horst Stein's recordings of 2 and 6 are very solid. I'm not a great Solti fan, but his early Vienna recordings of 7 and 8 are good. I think Bohm's famous recording of the 3rd is overrated, but I love his Vienna 7 and live 8 with the Cologne radio orchestra. Celibidache's main contribution is slowness; some parts work surprisingly well this way (e.g. the finale of the 8th) but otherwise he has nothing much to say in this music.
Jochum just brings me out in hives.

For the three mature masses, I like Nicol Matt for the Dm (though his choir is small), Best for the Em, and Barenboim for the Fm (though his Em is a bit of a disaster).

May 8, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #1,808 of 9,368
  Oh my god. I can't believe I'm only discovering living stereo... I'm such a fool

There are some great recordings! 

Here are two other examples that I own and cherish :) 

May 8, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #1,810 of 9,368
  There are some great recordings! 

Here are two other examples that I own and cherish :) 

Thanks, really excellent, I have them in the playlist.

Currently enjoying this: - apparently a film score by Prokofiev! I need to go back and discover him once again.

Also I went to amazon and typed 'living stereo' and my mind was blown. In the meantime, my wallet quivers in fear.

May 8, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #1,811 of 9,368
The Living Stereo box sets are pretty cheap. The first one is better than the second.

P.S. Check out Munch's Daphnis et Chloe. WOW!

May 8, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #1,812 of 9,368
  Thanks, really excellent, I have them in the playlist.

Currently enjoying this: - apparently a film score by Prokofiev! I need to go back and discover him once again.

[Alexander Nevsky; Reiner: Chicago]

Also I went to amazon and typed 'living stereo' and my mind was blown. In the meantime, my wallet quivers in fear.

The Living Stereo releases are generally quite incredible! I would, however, not hesitate for a second to recommend Slatkin: St. Louis or Gergiev: Kirov over this one for stand-out Nevsky recordings.

May 8, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #1,814 of 9,368
@bigshot - Yep I have my eyes on the Living Stereo box sets. Will need check out Daphnis et Chloe

@brhfl- Big fan of Gergiev/Kirov for Russian works! Listening to their rendition of Nevsky and enjoying it immensely.

Anyone have the Mercury Living Presence Box sets? Seems to have a great ratings and reputation. They're pricier than the Living Stereo boxes (almost double the price) so I could hold off buying the latter, save up and buy it in the next month or two. I'm a bit torn between the two.

Not that I would buy it solely for this reason, but MLP vol.2 has my beloved Beethoven symphony 6 - I really like Dorati/Wiener Symphoniker's version of the 6th, so am curious how Dorati + LSO sound. If it's anything like their Symphony 7 which is the only MLP recording I've heard it will be excellent.

But I haven't heard the other conductors, so wonder how they stack up.

May 8, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #1,815 of 9,368
Both Mercury Living Presence boxes are worth getting, but they are different than the Living Stereo ones in that LS sticks pretty closely to core repertoire. The MLP boxes include a batch of mid-century American music conducted by Hanson that isn't as fashionable with the kids nowadays as it used to be. There are also a few interesting oddities sprinkled in there like harpsichord and zither recitals! Paray's overtures are great. Lots of good stuff.

I highly recommend the Decca Sound box too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back