Best classical recordings...ever!
Dec 9, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #976 of 9,368
  something like this maybe? I don't know much about contemporary classical music, but I suppose you would be looking for minimalist stuff.

Beautiful! That's exactly the type of music I've been looking for to satisfy my thirst.

Now suppose I wanted a piano focus like this but with a but more instrumental variety? What kind of composers/artists should I look into? 

Dec 9, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #977 of 9,368
  Beautiful! That's exactly the type of music I've been looking for to satisfy my thirst.

Now suppose I wanted a piano focus like this but with a but more instrumental variety? What kind of composers/artists should I look into? 

You may want to youtube around artists like this.

Dec 9, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #978 of 9,368

You may want to youtube around artists like this.

I clicked around but due to my youtubing habits I get sent back to Video game stuff. Which reminds me that another piece I really like is this one from Bioshock Infinite. I found the highs in Silentium to be a little... Annoying? Maybe too harsh a word just not very pleasing to my ear. Maybe it's the headphones :)

Dec 9, 2013 at 5:18 AM Post #979 of 9,368
  Yes it's a wonderful set.

I haven't heard any other complete set of Mozart's string quartet's so maybe it's not 
the best ever recorded though.

Still quite amazing IMO.

I adore Quatuor Mosaiques' Mozart, played with contemporary instruments and extremely well recorded, nothing comes close IMO

I also like the Alexander Quartet's 'dedicated to Haydn' quartets.

Since the Quatuor M. cd box is rather expensive at this moment, I would recommand this cd, best Mozart I heard so far, it's that good!!

Dec 9, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #980 of 9,368
  Horowitz and Toscanini's Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto live from Carnegie Hall is electrifying. Nothing is similar to it at all.

Have you heard the Horowitz/NYPO/Szell version? It blows any of the Horowitz-Toscanini collaborations out of the water. (Legend has it that Szell let Horowitz dictate the tempo. Although that is a little hard to believe given what a control-freak Szell was. :) )

Dec 9, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #981 of 9,368

I adore Quatuor Mosaiques' Mozart, played with contemporary instruments and extremely well recorded, nothing comes close IMO

I also like the Alexander Quartet's 'dedicated to Haydn' quartets.

Since the Quatuor M. cd box is rather expensive at this moment, I would recommand this cd, best Mozart I heard so far, it's that good!!

I've read great things about the Quatuor Mosaiques' Mozart and heard a bit on the radio last summer which caught my attention.
I've only in the last couple of years started to get into the Mozart string quartets and will add this to my "want list".
I have heard their Haydn Last Words disk and a friend gave me a recording of them playing Schubert's Death and the Maiden(sorry for my Germanlessness) quartet, 
Both of those are excellent performances and the recorded sound is amazing on the Haydn IMO.

Dec 9, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #982 of 9,368
Hopefully the record label will come up with a new, affordable Mozart box, like they recently did with Haydn
rolleyes.gif

Dec 9, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #983 of 9,368
Hey there, Just noticed this thread.

I think my favourite classical recording is Rostropovich's rendition of Bach's Cello Suites.  I have been looking for it on CD, DVD, tape I don't really care hehe (seriously though I need it on CD) but I can't seem to find it anywhere in Australia.

Ahh well, there's always YouTube :S.

One day I will have a nice box set of this wonderful performance and be in musical heaven :)

Edit: If someone could point out a place to acquire this I would be forever in debt.

Dec 9, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #985 of 9,368
  Hey there, Just noticed this thread.

I think my favourite classical recording is Rostropovich's rendition of Bach's Cello Suites.  I have been looking for it on CD, DVD, tape I don't really care hehe (seriously though I need it on CD) but I can't seem to find it anywhere in Australia.

Ahh well, there's always YouTube :S.

One day I will have a nice box set of this wonderful performance and be in musical heaven :)

Edit: If someone could point out a place to acquire this I would be forever in debt.

For the best seat in heaven
wink.gif

Dec 9, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #986 of 9,368
If anybody here is curious about how headfi's list compares with MANY other lists of "Best classical recordings...ever!"
Here is a great bunch of lists from various authoritative(and maybe not so authoritative) sources.

Really worth a look....

http://soon.cocoplastic.com/page/Gramophone-TOP-100-Greatest-Classical-Recording.aspx

I promise it's not all Gramaphone's list AT ALL.

Dec 9, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #987 of 9,368
  If anybody here is curious about how headfi's list compares with MANY other lists of "Best classical recordings...ever!"
Here is a great bunch of lists from various authoritative(and maybe not so authoritative) sources.

Really worth a look....

http://soon.cocoplastic.com/page/Gramophone-TOP-100-Greatest-Classical-Recording.aspx

I promise it's not all Gramaphone's list AT ALL.

Fascinating reading IMO.

Dec 10, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #988 of 9,368

Fascinating reading IMO.

There's certainly quite a few of those that I would considerable indispensable. (And some that wouldn't make my list. For instance, there are definitely better versions of Salome than Solti's.) But that's the thing, there are so many great recordings that it's quite easy not just to come up with Top 100s, but even Top 1000s. (But then again, I'm a collector, so I might be the wrong person to ask. 
bigsmile_face.gif
 )

Dec 10, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #989 of 9,368
Hi
New to this particular thread. Fairly new to classical music (couple of years of experience). I'm a cellist and a college freshman. Anyways. 

Nathan Milstein's recording of the Mendelssohn Violin Concerto with Claudio Abbado as the conductor is in my opinion the best version of the Mendelssohn Violin Concerto. 
Here's the link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nKZ5WRhY70
(The link doesn't say that the conductor is Claudio Abbado, but I have the same recording in a CD, and the CD says that Abbado's the conductor). If any of you have a particular favourite recording of Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto, post some links, I'm interested.

Another worthwhile performance is Hilary Hahn's recording of Paganiniana by Nathan Milstein. I think her recording/performance of the piece is the best out there. I prefer her interpretation to that of Nathan Milstein's. The piece is basically a tribute to Niccolo Paganini 'composed' by Nathan Milstein. Hilary Hahn's performance and interpretation is amazing. Especially the ending. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94EtgwmjJZ8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back