Best classical recordings...ever!
Dec 7, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #946 of 9,368
I think Solti's earlier c1970 Mahler 5 is one of the very best. He brings out the drama of that work with an unparalleled strength. Shame about the compressed sound quality though.

Dec 7, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #948 of 9,368
I do enjoy Solti's Mahler 5, but it almost seems like the orchestra is out of sync with each other.  Maybe I'm just too used to Zubin Mehta's recording with New York, which is absolute precision and perfect balance in the brass.  Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the combo of Solti and the CSO, but I was a little underwhelmed by this particular Mahler 5.

Dec 7, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #949 of 9,368
  I do enjoy Solti's Mahler 5, but it almost seems like the orchestra is out of sync with each other.  Maybe I'm just too used to Zubin Mehta's recording with New York, which is absolute precision and perfect balance in the brass.  Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the combo of Solti and the CSO, but I was a little underwhelmed by this particular Mahler 5.

Do you definitely mean the earlier studio version and not the later live version?

Dec 7, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #950 of 9,368
The earlier version.  Just like Symphonie Fantastique.  The earlier recording of Solti is much better than the later one.

Dec 7, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #951 of 9,368

I like the Mehta version, but think the recording is a bit cloudy and the violins sound very recessed, which mucks up the overall balance.  Brass playing is great though.

Dec 7, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #952 of 9,368
Glenn Gould's phrasing on these piano pieces by Strauss is so touching and tender.  Just listen to this first piece and be transported.  It gets better with every listen.

Dec 7, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #953 of 9,368
  Thank you for the post - i am heading into town to see if i can get the bernstein collection in tower records. 

Hold on--note that the bernstein 6th I am refering to was recorded in 1987 on Deutsche Gramaphon, which is different from the complete Tchaikovsky cycle he did for Sony in the 60s. The crazy one is the later one, but I haven't heard the bernstein cycle on sony.

Dec 7, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #954 of 9,368
General rule of thumb... Earlier Bernstein is better Bernstein.

Dec 7, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #955 of 9,368

not always :) I wouldn't use the word better as well, how about less controversial.

Some exceptions to the rule: Mahler 9th with Berlin, 2nd with NY for 1988, 5th with Vienna, Das Lied von der Erde with Vienna, Barber Adagio for String with LA

Again, the works that were also recorded in the 60s (like the 2nd & 9th) are not better or worse in my opinion, just a different in style of interpretation.

For the 6th, I suggest the later one for its one of a kind interpretation--you can find exceptional recordings of 6th everywhere, but none will be like the 1987 Bernstein, for better or for worse.

Dec 7, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #956 of 9,368
I've got to disagree. The old New York Phil Mahlers are pretty scrappy against his later cycle with the same band, Concertgebouw and Vienna Phil. His 6th with the VPO, as just mentioned is by far and away the best reading of that work. I do prefer the old NY 3rd though, but apart from that, the later ones every time for me!

Dec 7, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #957 of 9,368
I've got to disagree. The old New York Phil Mahlers are pretty scrappy against his later cycle with the same band, Concertgebouw and Vienna Phil. His 6th with the VPO, as just mentioned is by far and away the best reading of that work. I do prefer the old NY 3rd though, but apart from that, the later ones every time for me!

I agree with you. The final movement of the second symphony is some of the finest orchestral playing that I have ever heard. I will admit, I also prefer Bernstein's later Tchaikovsky.  His 6th Symphony is about as good as it gets, particularly his Scherzo movement.

Dec 7, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #959 of 9,368

Users who are viewing this thread

Back