Best classical recordings...ever!
May 3, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #9,273 of 9,368

Absolutely essential version of Mahler's most sublime musical meditation on life.
As close to Mahler himself as one can get probably.
An alternative version of mine of DLvdE is the Karajan BPO/Christa Ludwig/René Kollo on DGG coupled with Mahler's Rückert Lieder.
But to my recent surprise I actually prefer a much lesser known singer Sasha Cooke even over Christa Ludwig in the Rückert Lieder.
Especially "Ich atmet einen Linden Duft" and "Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen" as sung by Sasha Cooke on my DSD 128 download from Native dsd.com also go straight to my heart.
And not only performance wise rival my other recordings of these songs, but also much better recorded than the DGG 70s recording.
A well recorded and performed more modern hi res version of Das Lied von der Erde is the recording on Pentatone available from several sources as download and on SACD from Pentatone direct.
My personal collection of DLvdE also include the famous Reiner/CSO on Living Stereo, the Jochum Concertgebouw Nan Merriman also DGG but on LP. And the VPO Boulez DGG on SACD.
But yes, if one can "live with" not modern hi res SQ, the Walter is unmissable for its unrivalled interpretative merits.
Cheers CC in splendid isolation.. der Welt abhanden gekommen.

Last edited:
May 10, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #9,274 of 9,368
You may have already come across the BPO European Concert of 2020, freely available at
https://www.berliner-philharmoniker.de/en/titelgeschichten/20192020/european-concert-2020/
A chamber ensemble of a dozen or so BPO players well-spaced on the Philarmonie stage performs three well-known contemporary pieces: Part's Fratres, Ligeti's Ramifications, and -of course- Barber's Adagio. Then they move on to a very solar arrangement of Mahlers' 4th. The music goes from meditative to moving, from chilling to heartwarming, never stopping for a moment to tug at your heart. Urgently recommended for these difficult times!

May 11, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #9,275 of 9,368
[QUOTE="Christer, post: 15592835, member: 439374"tually prefer a much lesser known singer Sasha Cooke even over Christa Ludwig in the Rückert Lieder.
Especially "Ich atmet einen Linden Duft" and "Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen" as sung by Sasha Cooke on my DSD 128 download from Native dsd.com also go straight to my heart.
And not only performance wise rival my other recordings of these songs, but also much better recorded than the DGG 70s recording.
A well recorded and performed more modern hi res version of Das Lied von der Erde is the recording on Pentatone available from several sources as download and on SACD from Pentatone direct.
My personal collection of DLvdE also include the famous Reiner/CSO on Living Stereo, the Jochum Concertgebouw Nan Merriman also DGG but on LP. And the VPO Boulez DGG on SACD.
But yes, if one can "live with" not modern hi res SQ, the Walter is unmissable for its unrivalled interpretative merits.
Cheers CC in splendid isolation.. der Welt abhanden gekommen.
[/QUOTE]

There is a live performance recording that was made in 1952 by Walter/Ferrier/vpo which is sometimes argued to be more compelling due to Ferrier's performance. I've not heard any better on her part. The rest of the group (as well as the recording) are arguably not as neatly assembled (but still towering) but if you love this piece and Ferrier it's absolutely essential.It's one of her last performances during her demise from cancer. It is for me the most powerful vocal performance of the female voice in classical music I've ever heard.Besides that it's clearly one of the greatest classical recordings ever.

May 11, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #9,276 of 9,368
Never had a problem. Clicking on Reply will quote the post. Click on +Quote to select one or more posts you want to add to your reply (then click the "Insert quotes..." button below the reply editor, to insert the posts you've selected).

If this quote works, I think I get it now. As I recall, back in the day you (I) selected "quote" first and then pasted it in...
Please What is up with quoting posts on this site. About 3 years ago it changed and I haven't been able to quote others properly. If you have a simple answer to this...

May 11, 2020 at 9:14 PM Post #9,277 of 9,368
I think the “many discoveries for me” is universal and something that provides us all a lifetime of adventurous joy to explore.

That's hopefully understood in a positive light by "all". Unfortunately, every day I am finding "many discoveries" on this planet to be truly terrifying.
The "adventurous joy" part is truly optimistic and I applaud this. Despite this I am often cynical.

Peace my friend!

May 16, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #9,282 of 9,368

I'm partial to performances of Appalachian Spring in the original 13 instrument arrangement.

There's a fascinating recording of Copland rehearsing the piece, and in fact he was recording it in the original version. I don't see the recording on YouTube, but you can find it on CD (and Spotify, Apple Music, etc) if you search for the album "A Copland Celebration, Vol 1".

May 17, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #9,283 of 9,368
I'm partial to performances of Appalachian Spring in the original 13 instrument arrangement.

There's a fascinating recording of Copland rehearsing the piece, and in fact he was recording it in the original version. I don't see the recording on YouTube, but you can find it on CD (and Spotify, Apple Music, etc) if you search for the album "A Copland Celebration, Vol 1".

This version I've posted is still often regarded as the reference orchestral recording of the piece in general and is arguably the most well known, popular and possibly influential.Often cited above Copland's recording even).

That said I agree with you and here is a link to a video playlist of the album you mentioned. Many other greatest Copland hits:

EDIT: You have to click on the playlist link in the video here to find App. Spring.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back