Best classical recordings...ever!
Aug 7, 2020 at 12:59 AM Post #9,301 of 9,368
The Romanian composer and violinist George Enescu (Georges Enesco in French) recorded the Bach Sonatas & Partitas for solo violin in 1949 for the obscure US label Continental. The box in red velvet cloth (if that’s proper English) is Continental CLP-104/105/106, three mono LPs. Recording technique was reel-to-reel magnetic tape of course. Pressings are awful.

This box is exceedingly rare and a holy grail within classical record collecting. I have a Japanese CD-duo with transfers from these LPs, the closest I will ever get to the LPs. I find Enescu’s tone and playing absolutely wonderful, even touching, despite both the sound and particularly his technique are far beyond usual standards.

One guy with extremely expensive and highly resolving hifi gear once told me that he can barely listen to Enescu playing. At the time of these recordings, Enescu suffered from very painful and deforming arthritis but had to make the recordings anyhow, maybe for financial reasons. This guy, a music reviewer and collector with just the cartridge at $12,000, could ”hear” the physical pain in Enescu’s playing. At least he said so. Enescu was 68 at the time, and to die six years later.

So. How much is it? The original Continental set can reach the $7,000 mark depending on condition etc, down to around half that.
Enescu Pops.JPG

Beware of reissues and fakes! There are some very fishy Continental sets out there. And the master tapes? Nobody knows as far as I know.

Here you can painlessly listen to these gems of recording history for free:

Enescu – Sonata No 1 for Violin Solo (Bach)
Enescu – Partita No 1 for Violin Solo (Bach)
Enescu – Sonata No 2 for Violin Solo (Bach)
Enescu – Partita No 2 for Violin Solo (Bach)
Enescu – Sonata No 3 for Violin Solo (Bach)
Enescu – Partita No 3 for Violin Solo (Bach)

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2020 at 12:49 AM Post #9,307 of 9,368

So I'm sure you've all listened to Mr. Coltrane talk about "classical music" a few posts back right??
So as Elmur Fudd used to say " Wight" (added for phonetically appropriate evidence).
Apparently he's had speech therapy recently.

I'd sure like to see some folks who are expert on NON-WESTERN classical music make some posts.
The alternative is people will continue to post the same stuff for another 5 years but with links to free and/or shilling content.
Not against that but folks could google most everything in this thread and find it easily.

Shall we not extend our horizons??

Nov 4, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #9,315 of 9,368
Can someone help me!? I'm looking for the very best versions of a piece.
It's the Polonaise fantasie Op. 61 from Chopin. It's by far my favorite piece. I've listened to lots of different recordings, but something always seems to be missing.
My favorite recording so far is by Sviatoslav Richter on 'The Philosopher'.
Does anyone else sync with this piece as much as I do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back