Best classical recordings...ever!
Dec 26, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #8,974 of 9,368

Interesting post!!

deadhorse.gif

Dec 26, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #8,975 of 9,368
  You like this album?  You can't leave me hanging...lol  

Interesting post!!

deadhorse.gif

Haha. I am beating a dead horse somehow, which means I must have missed something. Was there some drama related to this?

I'm doing a Schnittke and Ligeti recordings listening thing here, so going through a phase of "liturgical" choral work and I have to say, while it's not for everybody, this particular recording is pristine sonically speaking. Harmonia Mundi's engineers have done a marvelous job IMO. It's resonant and the spirituality of it all comes across effortlessly and poignantly.

I will say though, that I do have some particular affinity for so-called "difficult" music, so that explains that... 

Dec 26, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #8,976 of 9,368
Two other great recordings: Alban Berg's LULU and Ferrucio Busoni's DOKTOR FAUST.

Dec 26, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #8,977 of 9,368

Haha. I am beating a dead horse somehow, which means I must have missed something. Was there some drama related to this?

I'm doing a Schnittke and Ligeti recordings listening thing here, so going through a phase of "liturgical" choral work and I have to say, while it's not for everybody, this particular recording is pristine sonically speaking. Harmonia Mundi's engineers have done a marvelous job IMO. It's resonant and the spirituality of it all comes across effortlessly and poignantly.

I will say though, that I do have some particular affinity for so-called "difficult" music, so that explains that... 

Thank you, I do love Schnittke's music.  Choral work, I don't mind at all.  Maybe difficult music some, but I don't think this is Totally abstract compare to Grisey or some of the 21st contemporary music.

Dec 29, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #8,979 of 9,368

The drama was peripheral and "abstract" at most. 
redface.gif

In fact as I seem to recall this recording has never been mentioned at all here.....

Interesting post though! Nice to see modern posts like this though.
Schnittke is my favorite Soviet composer born after Shostakovich.

Dec 30, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #8,981 of 9,368
Big Schnittke fan here too. Such a unique composer but he always gets bracketed as Shostakovich's successor. A hard act to follow! In my view the only relevance between the two is that they were both Russian.

BIS have pretty much recorded everything of importance and the quality through out is exemplary. Symphony 3 is a good place to start for newbies and an amazing symphony at that! 

Dec 30, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #8,983 of 9,368
  Big Schnittke fan here too. Such a unique composer but he always gets bracketed as Shostakovich's successor. A hard act to follow! In my view the only relevance between the two is that they were both Russian.

BIS have pretty much recorded everything of importance and the quality through out is exemplary. Symphony 3 is a good place to start for newbies and an amazing symphony at that! 

fav recording! love at first sight!

Dec 30, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #8,984 of 9,368

fav recording! love at first sight!

haha great stuff :) Absolutely love the Requiem, such an original creation. Also, sacred music was forbidden in Soviet Russia at the time... Risky to say the least!   

Dec 30, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #8,985 of 9,368

The first track is also very good to test the dynamic capabilities of your system 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back