Best classical recordings...ever!
Dec 10, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #8,958 of 9,368
  I'm also looking at the Medici tv, that has web cast...WOW wonderful concert!!

Here some comments in today's NYT :
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/09/arts/music/fleeting-fingers-and-red-eye-flights-a-pianist-is-a-study-in-stamina.html?ref=todayspaper&_r=0

Indeed, I think watching the different camera perspectives in the live stream of the concert gave even more insight into his playing than being in a seat in Carnegie Hall. Usually there is no substitute for being at the live event yourself but in this case, it might be different. For me his face almost expressed the agony and pains the composer either went through or imagined during creation of the work. Despair or lightheartedness and joy. It was not just playing the correct notes at a breathtaking speed.

Dec 16, 2016 at 6:25 AM Post #8,959 of 9,368

For you !

wink_face.gif

EDIT: This is the "Best classical recordings...ever!" thread, right?

Dec 17, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #8,960 of 9,368
A recent addition to my music library :

71o0bq7wEgL._SX522_.jpg

A Decca / Universal Japan CD edition. And as so often with these recordings from the later 50's and early 60's spectacular sound and playing. A perfect example that dynamic range is NOT defined by the latest and greatest debatable format but the motivation of the conductor to draw superior playing from an excellent orchestra.

Dec 17, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #8,961 of 9,368

71o0bq7wEgL._SX522_.jpg

A Decca / Universal Japan CD edition. And as so often with these recordings from the later 50's and early 60's spectacular sound and playing. A perfect example that dynamic range is NOT defined by the latest and greatest debatable format but the motivation of the conductor to draw superior playing from an excellent orchestra.

The Decca Analogue box that I picked up at a closeout in a London HMV several years ago is a spectacular sounding set.  On my last trip to London, I saw that the Kertesz cycle had been reissued in luxury packaging including a Blu-Ray Audio disc.

Dec 17, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #8,962 of 9,368

71o0bq7wEgL._SX522_.jpg

I adore Kertesz' Dvorak Symphonies!!!!  I have his set, I think I listen to his set than Kubelik's 

Dec 18, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #8,963 of 9,368
  Petruchka and the schumann toccata, absolute finger killers.

Check out weissenberg's petruchka if you haven't heard it before, it's brilliant

I got the Weissenberg compilation that I mentioned and listened to the first disc.
210NRJ6NHVL.jpg

Bach, Czerny, Debussy, Rachmaninoff.
Apart from the Czerny which sounds "historic" (unlistenable to me) everything is fascinating.
2 boxes (DG and Warner/EMI) on order
wink.gif

Dec 18, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #8,964 of 9,368

I adore Kertesz' Dvorak Symphonies!!!!  I have his set, I think I listen to his set than Kubelik's 

His Dvorak cycle is with LSO if I'm not mistaken, the 9th "From the new world" above, is with Vienna Phil.Orch. The first listen was via speakers which was already impressive, the second was via HD800 and the dynamics are even more stunning. I am not sure if there was any significant progress in recording technique or if it was just sidestepping and getting more economical (multitrack, multimiking and fix it later...).

There is a remastered version (incl. Blue ray for which I don't care...) and it's fairly expensive compared to the regular version.
Which edition do you have?
81MU4%2BqUtKL._SX522_.jpg

Dec 18, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #8,965 of 9,368

His Dvorak cycle is with LSO if I'm not mistaken, the 9th "From the new world" above, is with Vienna Phil.Orch. The first listen was via speakers which was already impressive, the second was via HD800 and the dynamics are even more stunning. I am not sure if there was any significant progress in recording technique or if it was just sidestepping and getting more economical (multitrack, multimiking and fix it later...).

There is a remastered version (incl. Blue ray for which I don't care...) and it's fairly expensive compared to the regular version.
Which edition do you have?
81MU4%2BqUtKL._SX522_.jpg

I have regular cd edition LSO Dvorak cycle, but sound really don't care for me.  I got this because I was more interested in artist's interpretation rather than sound..Of course I also I have HD800 HD.  It is still stunning sound for me..

Dec 19, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #8,966 of 9,368

I got the Weissenberg compilation that I mentioned and listened to the first disc.
210NRJ6NHVL.jpg

Bach, Czerny, Debussy, Rachmaninoff.
Apart from the Czerny which sounds "historic" (unlistenable to me) everything is fascinating.
2 boxes (DG and Warner/EMI) on order
wink.gif

He was called the pianist of Fire and Ice for a reason - it work sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't, but fascinating nonetheless enjoy!

Dec 19, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #8,967 of 9,368
Let's get into the season, shall we?

I know, this is the old and heavy and "not cool" way to play Handel... But man, this recording has crazy synergy with my new 2-channel setup (Marantz PM7005 integrated DAC/amp ---> KEF R300 speakers).

Dec 20, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #8,970 of 9,368
Now try Barbirolli's Mahler 5 (preferably on vinyl)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back