Best classical recordings...ever!
Nov 28, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #8,926 of 9,368
  Any interest in lute music?

Absolutely.

OK, then!

If you like Bach but wish there were more, Hopkinson Smith and Nigel North each have lute arrangements of the 6 Cello Suites and the 6 Violin Sonatas and Partitas.  I prefer Hopkinson Smith overall.  And if that's still not enough baroque, you can try Bach's contemporary, Sylvius Leopold Weiss.  Robert Barto has a series for Naxos and Brilliant has a 12 disc box set by Michel Cardin.  I like Naxos' sound better, but it's close.  Moving backward in time, Smith also has albums of music by De Visee, Dufaut and Gaultier (beautifully recorded).  He and North have albums of Weiss as well.

Moving further back, I have several albums by Jakob Lindberg, starting with the complete works for solo lute by John Dowland.  My copy is actually a 4 hour 15 minute two channel SACD from Bis, but Brilliant has it as a 4 CD set. From about the same era, maybe earlier, are albums Lindberg made of English, Scottish, French and Italian lute music.  These pieces might be more accurately described as popular or folk music.  Finally (for the moment - I have more) is an album of lute duets by Lindberg and Paul O'Dette.

One more thing - Naxos has a pretty good collection of guitar music releases, including a lot of contemporary stuff.  I've been sampling some of it on Tidal.

Nov 28, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #8,927 of 9,368

Any interest in lute music?

Absolutely.

OK, then!

If you like Bach but wish there were more, Hopkinson Smith and Nigel North each have lute arrangements of the 6 Cello Suites and the 6 Violin Sonatas and Partitas.  I prefer Hopkinson Smith overall.  And if that's still not enough baroque, you can try Bach's contemporary, Sylvius Leopold Weiss.  Robert Barto has a series for Naxos and Brilliant has a 12 disc box set by Michel Cardin.  I like Naxos' sound better, but it's close.  Moving backward in time, Smith also has albums of music by De Visee, Dufaut and Gaultier (beautifully recorded).  He and North have albums of Weiss as well.

Moving further back, I have several albums by Jakob Lindberg, starting with the complete works for solo lute by John Dowland.  My copy is actually a 4 hour 15 minute two channel SACD from Bis, but Brilliant has it as a 4 CD set. From about the same era, maybe earlier, are albums Lindberg made of English, Scottish, French and Italian lute music.  These pieces might be more accurately described as popular or folk music.  Finally (for the moment - I have more) is an album of lute duets by Lindberg and Paul O'Dette.

One more thing - Naxos has a pretty good collection of guitar music releases, including a lot of contemporary stuff.  I've been sampling some of it on Tidal.

i also have works for lute from Vivaldy, a Haydn works for lute with Jakob lindenberg, the lute suites of bach with Konrad Juhanel, jown donwload box of L osseau lyre BD OTHERS

Nov 28, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #8,928 of 9,368
^ ^ ^ Thanks, will try to check these out over time. Not enough lutes in my library. Louts, maybe.
biggrin.gif

@jdpark- how was your concert in Boston?

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:55 AM Post #8,929 of 9,368
  i also have works for lute from Vivaldy, a Haydn works for lute with Jakob lindenberg, the lute suites of bach with Konrad Juhanel, jown donwload box of L osseau lyre BD OTHERS

How is the Jakob lindenberg one? his album is in my shortlist, not sure whetehr to get it or not

Nov 29, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #8,930 of 9,368

How is the Jakob lindenberg one? his album is in my shortlist, not sure whetehr to get it or not

I like it a lot, but i muts cranck the volume a bit up to get the dinamics, like it was recorded quiet

Nov 30, 2016 at 5:58 AM Post #8,931 of 9,368
  ^ ^ ^ Thanks, will try to check these out over time. Not enough lutes in my library. Louts, maybe.
biggrin.gif

@jdpark- how was your concert in Boston?

I also like Lute a lot. Have a great Harmoni Mundi album by Paul O'Dette doing Kaspberger's work. A little bit repetitive at times, but very well done. Like Nigel North's work, too, and of course Hopkinson Smith's Bach Lute works are great. 

For guitar, I like what I've heard of Takemitsu's work, and wish there were more of his guitar albums readily available in stores in the West. There is also a lot of interesting work for guitar by 20th century composers in general, including lesser known ones like Leo Brouwer (Cuban). I like Brouwer's duet's for guitar and flute, especially, but feel it is not recorded very often.

In general, I think the classical guitar demands the listener to understand the range of timbres going on, somewhat like the harpsichord. But unlike the harpsichord, I personally think the guitar sounds better as a solo instrument, or with wind instruments or the human voice. Although Paganini wrote music for guitar and violin (as did Sibelius), I'm not sure that's the best combination because it is difficult to set up an environment where the two instruments complement each other. Generally, I feel that they detract from each other, both competing in a similar tonal space at times, with the violin constantly taking the leading role and the guitar never really happy about that. 

I actually think the guitar was so popular in the Baroque period as a home instrument because it is capable of supporting the human voice so easily. But we just don't have a lot of guitar-singer music being recorded among the big classical labels, probably because they feel that if people wanted a singer and a guitarist, they could listen to pretty much any rock or folk album ever recorded for that. 

That said, I think some of the Schumann or Schubert song cycles might sound very good, if not at least interesting, as guitar-vocalist duets rather than always as piano-vocalist. Also, the piano role for many of these cycles is simple enough to be imitated fairly well by the guitar. Moreover, I think these composers would totally approve of such an endeavor. But someone would have to transpose the keyboard work to the guitar, which is a pain in the rear. 

(Btw., I never got to see the Emmerson String Quartet because my outgoing flight was originally cancelled and I was forced at the last minute to buy tickets for an early return, thus missing the concert altogether. Bummer.)

Nov 30, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #8,932 of 9,368
  I also like Lute a lot. Have a great Harmoni Mundi album by Paul O'Dette doing Kaspberger's work. A little bit repetitive at times, but very well done. Like Nigel North's work, too, and of course Hopkinson Smith's Bach Lute works are great. 

For guitar, I like what I've heard of Takemitsu's work, and wish there were more of his guitar albums readily available in stores in the West. There is also a lot of interesting work for guitar by 20th century composers in general, including lesser known ones like Leo Brouwer (Cuban). I like Brouwer's duet's for guitar and flute, especially, but feel it is not recorded very often.

In general, I think the classical guitar demands the listener to understand the range of timbres going on, somewhat like the harpsichord. But unlike the harpsichord, I personally think the guitar sounds better as a solo instrument, or with wind instruments or the human voice. Although Paganini wrote music for guitar and violin (as did Sibelius), I'm not sure that's the best combination because it is difficult to set up an environment where the two instruments complement each other. Generally, I feel that they detract from each other, both competing in a similar tonal space at times, with the violin constantly taking the leading role and the guitar never really happy about that. 

I actually think the guitar was so popular in the Baroque period as a home instrument because it is capable of supporting the human voice so easily. But we just don't have a lot of guitar-singer music being recorded among the big classical labels, probably because they feel that if people wanted a singer and a guitarist, they could listen to pretty much any rock or folk album ever recorded for that. 

That said, I think some of the Schumann or Schubert song cycles might sound very good, if not at least interesting, as guitar-vocalist duets rather than always as piano-vocalist. Also, the piano role for many of these cycles is simple enough to be imitated fairly well by the guitar. Moreover, I think these composers would totally approve of such an endeavor. But someone would have to transpose the keyboard work to the guitar, which is a pain in the rear. 

(Btw., I never got to see the Emmerson String Quartet because my outgoing flight was originally cancelled and I was forced at the last minute to buy tickets for an early return, thus missing the concert altogether. Bummer.)

https://www.amazon.com/Franz-Schubert-A-Wanderers-Guitar/dp/B00RMBKO24

There are actually a few good recordings already of guitar/singer transcriptions of Schubert. 

The earlier editions of Schubert's song cycles piano scores that I own actually include the alternate guitar parts already (written by Schubert), so the pain in the rear is alleviated somewhat! and some of them were published for guitar/voice even before the piano. He also owned a Stauffer guitar.

I'm not so sure Schumann about Schumann's approval though, transcribing his slow movements of say his Dichterliebe looks doable, but the faster passages and thicker textures would sound misshapen on a guitar imo...

Nov 30, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #8,934 of 9,368

Pity. Flight cancellations seem too frequent nowadays. Maybe time to start Frequent Non-Flier Programs? Frequent Grounder Programs? LOL.

Which raises the question for all of you: When trapped in Airport Purgatory, what albums/music do you listen to on your mobilus contraptus, to pass the time and ease the PITA?

cheers, offline for a while....

Dec 1, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #8,935 of 9,368
I resolved my decades of flight woes by eliminating my travel budget for 2017 as part of our expense reduction plan.  It just got approved and locked in by corp finance.  No more scrambling for alternate flights.  Wonder what will happen the first time I inform folks that I can't travel due to no budget.

Dec 4, 2016 at 3:33 AM Post #8,936 of 9,368
In some ways I wish we had a more old fashioned approach to travelling, say, by imagining that every flight was really a boat trip. You buy a one way ticket. You go. You decide if you want to hang around at your destination for a few days, a few weeks, or a few months, and then you get a one way ticket home. All of this round trip stuff, where every hour is planned out is too fast-paced for me. When do you get to enjoy life?

By the way, when I'm travelling, I don't listen to music in the airport that much, but I do listen to a couple of albums on overseas flights when they have them. I like to discover what different airlines think is good classical music. Often I'm surprised by new albums I wasn't aware of, and some of it is very good. 

@uchihaitachi Right now, I'm listening to "TAKEMITSU, Toru: Original Solo Guitar Works (Complete) (Shin-ichi Fukuda)" on Naxos music library through my university. Very cool stuff.

Dec 4, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #8,937 of 9,368
I recently stumbled over the name of Leonid Kogan for the first time, I have to admit
redface.gif
I checked for some of his recordings and it seems a lot are out of print and fetch outrageous prices.
One of his most treasured recordings of the Tchaikovsky Violin concerto is available at a bargain price combined with the piano concerto by Cziffra:
My new copy looks the same like below but features the EMI label instead of Warner but I guess the content is identical.
At $1.27 NEW (+shipping) this might be my best bargain of 2016.

81r-nXlzGwL._SX522_.jpg

The sound of his violin & playing reminds me of another favorite of mine which is H. Szeryng.
Kogan's sound is also somewhat rough, edgy at times, maybe just the natural woody resonance of his instrument.
I really prefer this direction of sound an interpretation over an all glossy, smoothed out background music style.
It's like a natural face vs a heavy layer of make up.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back