Best classical recordings...ever!
Sep 6, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #8,386 of 9,368
  Currently enjoying some bits of the DG Beethoven edition, His two WoO'ed piano concertos (one being the piano version of his Violin concerto), very nice playing and nice acoustics

You need to hear Yury Martynov's perf of Beeth #9, transcribed by Liszt. There are subtleties in the symphony that are revealed on piano, but somehow murked over on the orchestral level.

Bluthner piano.
http://www.allmusic.com/album/beethoven-liszt-symphony-no-9-mw0002905192

Sep 6, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #8,387 of 9,368
You need to hear Yury Martynov's perf of Beeth #9, transcribed by Liszt. There are subtleties in the symphony that are revealed on piano, but somehow murked over on the orchestral level.

Bluthner piano.

I have these symphonies transcribe by Liszt with Leslie Howard, i wil pay attetion to thhe 9th

Sep 6, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #8,388 of 9,368

Bluthner piano.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beethoven-Arr-Liszt-Symphonies-Nos/dp/B0000D8HDF

Or if you want to go overboard and get ALL the symphonies on the piano XD

Sep 7, 2016 at 5:47 AM Post #8,390 of 9,368

Is that as godawful as it seems or am I sorely mistaken?

Edit: listened to the extracts on amazon and totally unsure what to make of it

I think it's quite interesting, as canadianmaestro says, you get an x-ray like insight into how all the different instrumentation sections fit together. At times it sounds funny, just because how inept a piano is in trying to recreate the grandeur of the symphonies, but I like Katsaris and think it's worth a listen.

Sep 7, 2016 at 6:27 AM Post #8,391 of 9,368
  I think it's quite interesting, as canadianmaestro says, you get an x-ray like insight into how all the different instrumentation sections fit together. At times it sounds funny, just because how inept a piano is in trying to recreate the grandeur of the symphonies, but I like Katsaris and think it's worth a listen.

I agree, my favorites are the 4 hands Brahms symph. 1 and Shostakovich 4th (first part)..gives a different perspective on structure and instrumentation..

Sep 7, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #8,392 of 9,368
  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beethoven-Arr-Liszt-Symphonies-Nos/dp/B0000D8HDF

Or if you want to go overboard and get ALL the symphonies on the piano XD

Krazy expensive here in Canada, but I grasp the significance. To my ears, they're refreshing, all that orchestral veneer stripped bare. Still, will always go back to the full monty.

Sep 7, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #8,393 of 9,368

Is that as godawful as it seems or am I sorely mistaken?

Edit: listened to the extracts on amazon and totally unsure what to make of it

See, this is what I felt initially after the first 50 bars or so of Martynov's piano transcr of the 9th. Awful.....but after listening some more, many phrases popped up that made me say, Wait! I didn't hear THAT in the full orchestral versions!  And so it goes....

I think our ears have been tuned/conditioned to the orch versions of LvB's symphs for oh so long, that.....

Sep 7, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #8,394 of 9,368
What do you think of the complete Beethoven Piano sonatas recorded by Ashkenazy for DECCA, i like them because the piano sound very realistic, only thing i hate about them is the apparent low volume recording

Sep 7, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #8,395 of 9,368
  What do you think of the complete Beethoven Piano sonatas recorded by Ashkenazy for DECCA, i like them because the piano sound very realistic, only thing i hate about them is the apparent low volume recording

I don't think there's much repertoire that Ashkenazy plays 'badly', and at the same time, I am not enamoured by his later recordings.

Sep 7, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #8,398 of 9,368

Might also be worth checking out the few Beethoven sonatas/concertos michelangeli recorded, which are sublime.

Sep 7, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #8,399 of 9,368

Might also be worth checking out the few Beethoven sonatas/concertos michelangeli recorded, which are sublime.

Yes i am checking it, i don't say ashkenazy sucks or recorded bad, I really like the sound quality for sure But they were on purpose recorded (or matered later) low volume which the crappy 15mW output of my walkman doesn't helpt that much

Sep 7, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #8,400 of 9,368

Try Gulda.. (or Annie Fischer!)

Fischer's is a great set.

Yes i am checking it, i don't say ashkenazy sucks or recorded bad, I really like the sound quality for sure But they were on purpose recorded (or matered later) low volume which the crappy 15mW output of my walkman doesn't helpt that much

Time to upgrade!! 
beyersmile.png
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back