Best classical recordings...ever!
Sep 5, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #8,371 of 9,368
If you like Beethoven, I would suggest Beethoven: Concerto & Sonatas by Say Fazil. 

I really like his recording of Moonlight Sonata.

Also, I would recommend the Salzburg Recital recorded by Grigory Sokolov. He has a collection of pieces by Mozart, and Chopin. They are superb. 

Lastly, I would also recommend "Mozart: Piano Concertos Nos. 21, 23 & Rondo in A Major" by Ingrid Jacoby. She also has many other recordings of Mozart which are all recommended.

Now, who can not say classical without mentioning Bach... I especially like "Bach: Cello Suites" by David Watkin. These are my greatest recordings :) enjoy!

Sep 5, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #8,372 of 9,368
Originally Posted by putsandcalls /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would also recommend "Mozart: Piano Concertos Nos. 21, 23 & Rondo in A Major" by Ingrid Jacoby. She also has many other recordings of Mozart which are all recommended.

Go for Uchida and Perhia, Mozart Ctos.

Enjoying this right now. The horn is one of my fav instruments, and Mozart really did a sublime service composing them. This disc beats Dennis Brain's recordings, imo.

Sep 6, 2016 at 4:01 AM Post #8,373 of 9,368
Anner did a Schubert C-maj quintet that was quite good.

@quinto: is the Gould big box set worth it if I already have most of his Bach? Gould's non-Bach don't exactly make me salivate.
biggrin.gif

The remaster is very well done so yes, it was certainly worth it for me. But if you only listen to his Bach I wouldn't bother..

Sep 6, 2016 at 5:53 AM Post #8,374 of 9,368

Enjoying this right now. The horn is one of my fav instruments, and Mozart really did a sublime service composing them. This disc beats Dennis Brain's recordings, imo.

I know you aren't a big fan of the hiss fest recordings, but Lipatti is really worth a listen
biggrin.gif
for Mozart

If you like Beethoven, I would suggest Beethoven: Concerto & Sonatas by Say Fazil. 

I really like his recording of Moonlight Sonata.

Also, I would recommend the Salzburg Recital recorded by Grigory Sokolov. He has a collection of pieces by Mozart, and Chopin. They are superb. 

Lastly, I would also recommend "Mozart: Piano Concertos Nos. 21, 23 & Rondo in A Major" by Ingrid Jacoby. She also has many other recordings of Mozart which are all recommended.

Now, who can not say classical without mentioning Bach... I especially like "Bach: Cello Suites" by David Watkin. These are my greatest recordings :) enjoy!

He has a very mannered approach, but I do like his improvisations, it's sadly a dying art these days.

Sep 6, 2016 at 6:55 AM Post #8,376 of 9,368

Maestro me too!   I have been a horn player since primary school. I was a captain of high school brass band club. :D
my primary school music teacher has tought young Seiji Ozawa.

Sep 6, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #8,378 of 9,368

I know you aren't a big fan of the hiss fest recordings, but Lipatti is really worth a listen
biggrin.gif
for Mozart

Lipatti's Chopin in very good. I wish Cortot's recs were remastered to remove the reptiles....
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Maestro me too!   I have been a horn player since primary school. I was a captain of high school brass band club. :D
my primary school music teacher has tought young Seiji Ozawa.

French horn is not an easy wind instrument to master. But its sound is glorious to my ears, by itself or coupled with an orchestra. Too bad there are too few classical horn ctos to go around.

Sep 6, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #8,379 of 9,368
Still waiting for that Gould box to drop in price - but I did see it in a store the other week. It's flippin' HUGE!
Going to have to rearrange my room furniture if it comes to my possession(
tongue_smile.gif
). I am always envious of people with dedicated and accommodating shelving units/rooms...
one day...

Sep 6, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #8,380 of 9,368
wonde in which portable rig do you listen to your precious catalogue of music? I am currently using a walkman ZX100 (planning to upgrade to the 1.2K walkman NW-WM1A) + XBA-A3 iems (soon to be replaced by XBA-Z5)

Sep 6, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #8,381 of 9,368
  Still waiting for that Gould box to drop in price - but I did see it in a store the other week. It's flippin' HUGE!
Going to have to rearrange my room furniture if it comes to my possession(
tongue_smile.gif
). I am always envious of people with dedicated and accommodating shelving units/rooms...
one day...

Might be available as a (massive) download yet?

wonde in which portable rig do you listen to your precious catalogue of music? I am currently using a walkman ZX100 (planning to upgrade to the 1.2K walkman NW-WM1A) + XBA-A3 iems (soon to be replaced by XBA-Z5)

I use an iPod Classic 160GB (MP4 files) and Focal Sphear IEMs when travelling/vacationing away. Simple, sounds v.g., easy to carry-on. No separate DAC.

Sep 6, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #8,382 of 9,368

ipod touch. Despite all the head-fi propaganda fuelled hate
ph34r.gif
, they are on an objective scale one of the most transparent portable audio sources so 
rolleyes.gif
 and the etymotic er4

What are some good sets of Sibelius symphonies? My go to has been the Davis one but I want to try some other interpretations! Thanks~~~

Sep 6, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #8,383 of 9,368
Currently enjoying some bits of the DG Beethoven edition, His two WoO'ed piano concertos (one being the piano version of his Violin concerto), very nice playing and nice acoustics

Sep 6, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #8,384 of 9,368
  ipod touch. Despite all the head-fi propaganda fuelled hate
ph34r.gif
, they are on an objective scale one of the most transparent portable audio sources so 
rolleyes.gif
 and the etymotic er4

What are some good sets of Sibelius symphonies? My go to has been the Davis one but I want to try some other interpretations! Thanks~~~

iPods don't get much love here on HF, probably because of all the other bling $$.

The sets I go to are
Maazel/Vienna (really great SQ)
Paavo Berglund/Bournemouth/Helsinki
Neme Jarvi/Gothenburg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back