Best classical recordings...ever!
Sep 12, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #8,416 of 9,368

The sq is quite good..

I just previewed it on iTunes. sounded fine on my iMac, likely better on my floor system. Will do it! $7 MP3. 

I don't have his 1950s cycle. Compared the time registers to Kempff's 1960s cycle--quite different, many are faster in the '50s.

EDIT:  I also got Annie Fischer's complete cycle from iTunes, last year. That one is to cherish. Not many female pianists have done LvB's complete cycle.

Sep 12, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #8,417 of 9,368

Yes, I agree. Currently working thru a box set of Mercury Living Presence discs (Vol 1). Most were rec'd in 1950's, and the music is new to me. The sound on my floor system is pure analog!

http://www.deccaclassics.com/en/cat/4783566

The Má vlast recording sounds a bit quiet and most like an 'old' recording - but it can hardly called a bad recording. Agree about the recordings, they are excellent imo. That Gielgud poem recital with Bachauer's Gaspard de la nuit caught me by surprise on the first listen (CD45). The Slavonic Dances (CD10) also a favourite :) one for when my day needs brightening up, and the short winter days.

Sep 12, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #8,418 of 9,368
  The Má vlast recording sounds a bit quiet and most like an 'old' recording - but it can hardly called a bad recording. Agree about the recordings, they are excellent imo. That Gielgud poem recital with Bachauer's Gaspard de la nuit caught me by surprise on the first listen (CD45). The Slavonic Dances (CD10) also a favourite :) one for when my day needs brightening up, and the short winter days.

I'm only up to CD8. 
rolleyes.gif
   About one/day on floor speakers.

Sep 13, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #8,420 of 9,368
  Would love to hear Otto Klemperer's 1965 EMI recording of Missa Solemnis on great floor standers. It's really a work of such enormous scale, none of my options seem to be fully up to the challenge. 

It's a great recording for its time. Unmatched I think.

Waiting for a set of Klemperer's Mozart late symphs to arrive.

Sep 13, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #8,422 of 9,368
Kind of on a music binge this week. Home with the little girl, who had a fever today (and didn't really sleep because she refused her medicine). Now finally in a quiet room, and so I'm getting into the Well-Tempered Clavier, 1962 recording, by Glenn Gould..

It's really an opus that must be listened to straight through. No one piece at first really blows me away on its own, but then all of a sudden the whole album suddenly starts to make sense about half-way through. This is one of those 'must-have' albums for non-classical music lovers who occasionally dip their toes into the genre.

Sep 13, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #8,425 of 9,368
  Anyone here know any good vinyl to digital conversion shops from personal experience in the UK?

I think Pro-Ject makes A-D converters for vinyl enthusiasts who are sick of all the distortion and wisely want to come over to the Clear Side of The Force. 
cool.gif

http://project-audio.com/main.php?prod=adphonoboxs&cat=archive&lang=en

But sorry, I have no direct exp with UK converters.

May be cheaper to DIY with the above device?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back