Apr 14, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #8,086 of 9,368

What are ET cartridges?
confused.gif

8-tracks? That was a looong time ago.
frown.gif

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_video_game_burial

Apr 14, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #8,087 of 9,368

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_video_game_burial

That's bizarre. ET was a fine film imo. I remember lining up to see it back in '82. But the game didn't do so well?

Would the soundtrack to ET qualify as "classical"?
rolleyes.gif

Apr 14, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #8,088 of 9,368

That's bizarre. ET was a fine film imo. I remember lining up to see it back in '82. But the game didn't do so well?

Would the soundtrack to ET qualify as "classical"?
rolleyes.gif

check out stenhammar swede composer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd1rxZXp5aY

skip to the 20th minute (romanticism on steroids)

Apr 24, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #8,092 of 9,368
Enjoying the Complete Edvard Grieg Music with Orchestra featuring the Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra and Neeme Jarvi on DG. Eight discs, I think mostly recorded in the late 1980s and early 1990s. Beautiful libretto included with four languages. Being a huge fan of Sibelius, obviously I keep thinking of the Finn here and there when listening to Grieg, the Norweigian who died a half century before Sibelius did. In many ways Grieg really shows how the Austro-German styles of the 19th century were first streamlined and made a bit more rhythmic when transferred to Scandinavia. Sibelius took this style to the next level. But thankfully Grieg was just innovative enough that Sibelius never felt the need to rebel completely, and instead really built on the foundations of the Scandinavian style so well articulated by Grieg. Anyone else have thoughts about this series?

Apr 24, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #8,093 of 9,368
Enjoying Georg Böhm Complete Keyboard wors (Organ & Harpsichord) Simo Stella for label OnClassical 24/88.2 FLAC download from Qobuz

Apr 27, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #8,095 of 9,368
  Enjoying the Complete Edvard Grieg Music with Orchestra featuring the Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra and Neeme Jarvi on DG. Eight discs, I think mostly recorded in the late 1980s and early 1990s. Beautiful libretto included with four languages. Being a huge fan of Sibelius, obviously I keep thinking of the Finn here and there when listening to Grieg, the Norweigian who died a half century before Sibelius did. In many ways Grieg really shows how the Austro-German styles of the 19th century were first streamlined and made a bit more rhythmic when transferred to Scandinavia. Sibelius took this style to the next level. But thankfully Grieg was just innovative enough that Sibelius never felt the need to rebel completely, and instead really built on the foundations of the Scandinavian style so well articulated by Grieg. Anyone else have thoughts about this series?

I have the complete music with the BergenPO + Ruud on BIS, which is uniformly good (I wonder why the Järvi forces, who did lots of recordings for BIS, didn't do their own Grieg cycle on that label…). I imagine the nationalist music from Russia probably also had some effect on Sibelius, but certainly Grieg was in there. Totally different composers, though; one never reminds me of the other.

Apr 27, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #8,096 of 9,368
Speaking of BIS, it looks like there might be some hope of at least some of their SACD back-catalogue making its way to multichannel PCM format. See here for instance (on sale now, actually).

Apr 28, 2016 at 3:56 AM Post #8,098 of 9,368
  This thread seems to have shifted topic from:

"Best classical recordings...ever!"

to

"Most every classical recording I come across".

tongue.gif

What do you know, a world full of stupidly-well-trained classical musicians bangs out lots of good stuff 
wink.gif

Apr 30, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #8,100 of 9,368

"lots of good stuff" is also not in the title of this thread.

evil_smiley.gif

We could just title it "Sh** sounding recordings from 70 years ago that people can't give up because some Nazi conductor".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back