Best classical recordings...ever!
Sep 26, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #6,154 of 9,368
  Schumann's symphonies don't seem to get much love around here

He's not a symphonist -- grand, sweeping gestures. He's better at intimate chamber pieces and of course, piano. Might even be better than Chopin in some regards, like broad tonal palettes for episodic piano works (Kinderszenen, etc). He might be considered the Mahler of the piano, imo.

Sep 26, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #6,156 of 9,368
He's not a symphonist -- grand, sweeping gestures. He's better at intimate chamber pieces and of course, piano. Might even be better than Chopin in some regards, like broad tonal palettes for episodic piano works (Kinderszenen, etc). He might be considered the Mahler of the piano, imo.

His second was one of the most original orchestral works during its inception. Mahler used to conduct his symphonies

His piano works are more like brahms, very structured but with great emotive capacity and he loves his motivic quotations. Oh and annoyingly difficult even though it sounds very straightforward

Sep 26, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #6,158 of 9,368
His second was one of the most original orchestral works during its inception. Mahler used to conduct his symphonies

His piano works are more like brahms, very structured but with great emotive capacity and he loves his motivic quotations. Oh and annoyingly difficult even though it sounds very straightforward

I have Schumann sets by Bernstein, Szell, Kubelik, Haitink, and Eschenbach. They aren't bad, just droll for a listener conditioned to Mahler, Beethoven, and many others (incl Brahms!).
biggrin.gif

Sep 26, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #6,159 of 9,368
What are good bruckner symphonies to start with? tried getting into his stuff a while back, didn't enjoy it greatly.

Sep 26, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #6,160 of 9,368
  What are good bruckner symphonies to start with? tried getting into his stuff a while back, didn't enjoy it greatly.

http://www.classical.net/music/recs/reviews/fenech/bruckner.php

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2005/Feb05/Bruckner_symphonies_PWJQ.htm

http://www.allmusic.com/album/bruckner-the-symphonies-mw0001840021

http://www.amazon.ca/Bruckner-Symphonies-Nos-Classical-Masters/dp/B0042U2HLY/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1443270408&sr=1-1&keywords=wand+bruckner+box

Sep 26, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #6,161 of 9,368

7th, the first two parts are amazing.

There are many good renditions of this one, Wand is a good choice, Klemperer, and off course  Karajan. A digital recording of this symphony was his last performance of any music, and it is sublime. 

4th, Very grand and impressive, at first, tents to tire me in the long run. 

Same here

9th. A masterpiece, one of the best symphonic pieces ever written. It is up there with Beethoven's 9th, Mozart's "Jupiter", Brahm's 4th  and very few others. Sadly, he never finished it.

There are many good recordings of it, Karajan, Schuricht, Wand again are good choices. But, if you are in the mood for an adventure...there is the astounding recording by Furtwängler, from the year 1944, made in Berlin, in between air raid alarms. An amazing document in surprisingly good sound for its vintage. No it is not stereo or anything, but I believe everyone interested in classical music should listen to this recording, at least once.

8th. Many people love it, I could never warm up to this particular work.

Sep 26, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #6,165 of 9,368
  There are many good recordings of it, Karajan, Schuricht, Wand again are good choices. But, if you are in the mood for an adventure...there is the astounding recording by Furtwängler, from the year 1944, made in Berlin, in between air raid alarms. An amazing document in surprisingly good sound for its vintage. No it is not stereo or anything, but I believe everyone interested in classical music should listen to this recording, at least once.

I have been searching for Fultwangler's bruckner 7th CD recorded during the war which aired in Berlin the day hitler died. but not find it yet in Japan.
Do you know where can I buy it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back