Best classical recordings...ever!
Sep 25, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #6,138 of 9,368
  These discussions about tempi remind me of richter's schubert Zzzzzzzzzzz........
biggrin.gif

For sure. His D.960 1st mvt runs about 25 mins? Stupendously slow. Still, there are some nights when I listen to it to really decompress my synapses....along with Solomon's Moonlight sonata.

Sep 25, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #6,139 of 9,368
Quote:

I have this [Thielemann/VPO Beethoven set] too. I shall be polite and refrain from commenting.....

Try Paavo Jarvi's cycle with the Kammerphil Bremen.

cheers
Quote:
  Hehe.  Cmon, take the gloves off and tell us what you think!

Thielemann's set just lacked drive. Especially in the 5th and 7th. His 4th and 2nd are not as spirited as what the scores (Beethoven?) called for. Listen to Wand's 4th, and Szell's 2nd, to hear what I mean. "Romanticism" works in some, like the Pastoral and the Scherzo of the 9th. Thielemann's trying too hard to be "different" in a very crowded Beeth Symphony recording arena. I can't blame him for that. At least he is not trying to be Mario Andretti, like in Zinman's cycle, where the tempi are consistently too brisk.

Sep 25, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #6,140 of 9,368
  Quote:

I have this [Thielemann/VPO Beethoven set] too. I shall be polite and refrain from commenting.....

Try Paavo Jarvi's cycle with the Kammerphil Bremen.

cheers
Quote:
  Hehe.  Cmon, take the gloves off and tell us what you think!

Thielemann's set just lacked drive. Especially in the 5th and 7th. His 4th and 2nd are not as spirited as what the scores (Beethoven?) called for. Listen to Wand's 4th, and Szell's 2nd, to hear what I mean. "Romanticism" works in some, like the Pastoral and the Scherzo of the 9th. Thielemann's trying too hard to be "different" in a very crowded Beeth Symphony recording arena. I can't blame him for that. At least he is not trying to be Mario Andretti, like in Zinman's cycle, where the tempi are consistently too brisk.

I would put it this way: he tries to emulate Klemperer but he just gets boring.

Sep 25, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #6,141 of 9,368
Wow.  "Boring" is the last word I would use to describe this set.  And for the life of me I don't perceive any lack of drive - things are moving forward very nicely to my ears.  I guess I like to bask in slow tempi (I also have the Solti/Chicago cycle and love it except for the weird double-bassy sound take) and I especially hate it when the music sounds hurried.

Sep 25, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #6,148 of 9,368
  It means the person agrees with the post above.

^ This.

Currently listening to #9, and I have to revise what I said about things moving forward.  Thielemann sometimes slows down to almost a complete halt (e.g. in the ending of the first movement).

Call me crazy, but I love it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back