Best classical recordings...ever!
Jan 4, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #2,806 of 9,368
Hmmn, unoriginal to some may be recognisable and popular to many. If it gets (young) people watching and listening, and hopefully interested in classical music that's a positive outcome IMO. I'd assume Vivaldi's 4 seasons is probably a common route into classical music for many (Got me thinking too, I wonder how many kids got into Beethoven (and onwards) first through that dog movie). Given this is a youth talent show aimed at the general masses, I think it's a perfect choice.

The quality of the performance and interpretation comes way after that. When I first started listening to Beethoven, damned if I could hear a difference between various performances of the Pastoral, and nor did I care to. The overall music got me hooked. Once that happens you begin exploring and learning, and the nuances become clearer as does the appreciation of the music.

Here I speak for myself too, but I think it's more helpful to be more open and accepting as it's very easy to appear snobbish or sneering even if it is unintended. It reinforces a false elitist, hostile, and homogenous image of both the music genre and its listeners. It discourages people from taking an interest and experiencing the classical library, and even participating in this thread. No, this prejudicial attitude is not limited to classical music, but I fear the attitude has probably been around the longest.

Also, don't underestimate 'humble' music choices/beginnings of performers. The Beatles and the Stones began their craft with crude imitations of r & b (some will argue they never stopped!!!!).

Czechoslovakia, which I think is where the Smetana Qt come from isn't that far from Vienna if you look at them on a map. I really like Talich's Mozart with the CPO too.

I can only find the Talich Mozart on the 'La Dolce Volta' label. Unless that's one and the same?

Edit: ^^^nvm got my wires crossed haha. You meant the conductor and the orchestra, not the quartet and record label

Jan 4, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #2,807 of 9,368

Here I speak for myself too, but I think it's more helpful to be more open and accepting as it's very easy to appear snobbish or sneering even if it is unintended. It reinforces a false elitist, hostile, and homogenous image of both the music genre and its listeners. It discourages people from taking an interest and experiencing the classical library, and even participating in this thread. No, this prejudicial attitude is not limited to classical music, but I fear the attitude has probably been around the longest.

Well said. But I also feel that an informed or well learned opinion can be more helpful than an objective accepting one. The latter being a little unhelpful for all. I love reading critics reviews... It would be very dull if they gave full marks to anyone (Sting! for e'g) 

(but Mozart's 'a little night music' is annoying... It was the first time I heard it ! But so is the beginning of Brahms 1st piano concerto, Lang Lang's new Mozart cd, Mahlers 8th! etc etc  )    

Jan 4, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #2,809 of 9,368
  I'd rather discover new classical composers with films, just like the ones from Stanley Kubrick.

Yeah, the 1st Fantasia did a good part of getting me hooked. Even now, knowing about all the cuts and re-orchestrations, I don't hold anything against the movie, because it did its job: present art to the masses and lead them to new discoveries.

Jan 4, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #2,810 of 9,368
  Well said. But I also feel that an informed or well learned opinion can be more helpful than an objective accepting one. The latter being a little unhelpful for all. I love reading critics reviews... It would be very dull if they gave full marks to anyone (Sting! for e'g) 

(but Mozart's 'a little night music' is annoying... It was the first time I heard it ! But so is the beginning of Brahms 1st piano concerto, Lang Lang's new Mozart cd, Mahlers 8th! etc etc  )    

Quote:
  I'd rather discover new classical composers with films, just like the ones from Stanley Kubrick.

Yeah I do agree about some informed opinions - I find them helpful too in navigating through the ocean of music out there.

I was referring more to attitudes towards other music genres. But also in particular very new listeners of classical, or those who have not discovered it yet, and their music choices/tastes.

My views are also coloured by my experiences. My father, despite being a professional oboist for most of his life, did not talk about music (even to this day). There were CDs around, but I can only recall one time I happened to ask about music notation, and he out of nowhere brought out from his desk a John Cage score and described how the composer had to invent new notations to his music.

He believed that one had to find interest in the music by themselves first and foremost. Not sure if I would follow that philosophy as strictly, but on the flip side, my motivations to discover classical now could possibly be down to his view.

IMO where you start to discover music is not important, as long as you do.

Jan 4, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #2,811 of 9,368

This Mozart I adore
tongue.gif

one of the best-classical-recordings-ever!

Jan 6, 2015 at 4:17 AM Post #2,816 of 9,368
Here's the version I own and I like very much : 

Need to compare to some historic recordings though. I'm definitely noob in classical music and my entry point is more contemporary recordings :wink: .

Happy new years to all posters of  this thread . You allow me to discover a lot of good music . thks !
beerchug.gif

Jan 6, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #2,817 of 9,368
Not so huge on the Kreutzer on here, but the faster clip for Spring gives it a fresh air:

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #2,819 of 9,368
  How is the sound quality of this record?

it's a good 1940 recording, you can judge for yourself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZG2iKESTLk
since youtube streaming quality is not really an issue here...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back