Best classical recordings...ever!
Jan 3, 2015 at 7:03 AM Post #2,791 of 9,368
Gould did like Mozart's early sonatas but from early age disliked him in general.. (he did write Eine Kleine Nacht Musik 
eek.gif
)  For Gould it was a lack of counterpoint issue I think..

Sviatoslav Richter always struggled with Mozart, found it difficult to connect.. he prefered Haydn ..

Some 'normally played' Mozart sonatas are just so darn boring ..

Also some of his early Beethoven is very good..

but hey, I'm just a fan, what do I know
biggrin.gif

Jan 3, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #2,792 of 9,368
There are other pianists that were much better with Mozart. Just because you can play Beethoven or Bach, it doesn't mean you can play Mozart, or vice versa.

Jan 3, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #2,793 of 9,368
  There are other pianists that were much better with Mozart. Just because you can play Beethoven or Bach, it doesn't mean you can play Mozart, or vice versa.

Anyone who can play Beethoven and Bach can play Mozart, just not necessarily according to your or my taste...

(oops having a deja vu now
biggrin.gif
)

Jan 3, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #2,795 of 9,368
^Who needs Wiki, this Thread alone is quite the education, no Beats Lovers here!

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #2,796 of 9,368
  Gould did like Mozart's early sonatas but from early age disliked him in general.. (he did write Eine Kleine Nacht Musik 
eek.gif
)  ...

What's wrong with Eine Kleine? It's a serenade, and for its purpose it's absolutely of the highest quality. I'd love to see what other composers would toss off whilst in the middle of composing Don Giovanni :)

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #2,797 of 9,368

So I stumbled upon this recording while going through their Dvořák a while ago and have been enjoying it in between. They just sound so damn good.

I've only been familiar of Mozart's quartets by Amadeus Quartet (DG) and Quartetto Italiano (Philips). I like QI's style, but the Philips recordings sound too shrill to me (Is it just me?). Their Beethoven string quartets on Philips don't seem to suffer the same problem.

Jan 4, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #2,798 of 9,368
Czechoslovakia, which I think is where the Smetana Qt come from isn't that far from Vienna if you look at them on a map. I really like Talich's Mozart with the CPO too.

Jan 4, 2015 at 3:39 AM Post #2,799 of 9,368

What's wrong with Eine Kleine?

Absolutely nothing, unless you equate popularity with something being inferior. Personally, I judge things on their own merits, and Eine Kleine is one of the masterpieces of classical music to me. Beautiful from beginning to end.

Jan 4, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #2,800 of 9,368

What's wrong with Eine Kleine? It's a serenade, and for its purpose it's absolutely of the highest quality. I'd love to see what other composers would toss off whilst in the middle of composing Don Giovanni :)

Highest quality
biggrin.gif
, it sounds like poo.. and believe me, I heard it hundreds of times..

It sucks on its own merits..  IMO of course
wink_face.gif

Jan 4, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #2,802 of 9,368
I've never been a fan of Eine Kleine either. Objectively it is as usual - masterfully constructed.... But its just too simple and annoying a tune. It probably wasn't meant to be anything other an after dinner twiddle commission. I'm gonna sound like a complete musical snob here... But I don't care! tehehe hahaha

Ho HO HO! :D

Jan 4, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #2,803 of 9,368
For the longest time, I couldn't stand listening to Beethoven's 5th because it reminded me of that bloomin' movie with the dog I watched as a kid. Even now I have to grin and bear through the first movement. After that it's glorious.

Jan 4, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #2,805 of 9,368
Here's the winner from a french show. It was a kind of competition between very young people (between 7 & 16 year old), and there were performing classical stuff (opera, ballet etc).
I  find it a bit depressive, it's as much unoriginal as it can be (Summer from Vivaldi):

Users who are viewing this thread

Back