Best classical recordings...ever!
Mar 19, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #1,520 of 9,368
Since we're on Mahler, my favorites are:

No. 2  Kubelik, Tennstedt, Stokowski, Klemperer
No. 3  Horenstein LSO
No. 5  Solti (early version, CSO 1970)
No. 6  Bernstein (later version on DG), sentimental attachment to Szell with Cleveland

Mar 20, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #1,521 of 9,368
....sentimental attachment to Szell with Cleveland

+1 on sentimentality of Szell.

And,
Due to many great recordings and concerts Mahler is tough fo me to pull favorites.There has also been a good deal said on this thread already BUT...

I'd read about this recording of the 9th several times:

......and finally got the chance to hear it and was quite taken back.
Really illuminated things I hadn't heard before and just rock solid.
Heard new things and the familiar was also fresh and powerful etc...

Haven't listened to the Boulez recordings here yet though.
They seem a bit anti-climactic after the Mahler.

Highly recommended IMO

Mar 20, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #1,523 of 9,368
Speaking of sentimentality of Szell in my life,

Now that spring is here, a notable performance of Schumann's 1st.
He does fine with the others as well but the 1st is special to me.

I used to listen to the opening of the first movement of his Brahms 1st twice at full blast right before exams in college in order to frighten myself. No exam could be so scary after that.

I still use his Brahms 1st piano concerto with Serkin as my reference disk to test headphones for how well they play that subgenre and for accuracy of soundstage.

Mar 20, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #1,524 of 9,368

No. 3  Horenstein LSO
No. 6  Bernstein (later version on DG), sentimental attachment to Szell with Cleveland

Mahler tends to heat the discussion. So I will put some more gasoline on the fire. :)

No 1 Kubelik - The most easy listening Mahler Symphony in my opinion. Kubelik makes it even smoother.
No 9 Walter (the historical one from 1938) - a few pages back bigshot posted the transfer of this symphony. I own the Dutton CD. It is far from being the best reading of this symphony but its historic context makes it impressive.

Mar 20, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #1,526 of 9,368

No. 3  Horenstein LSO

Another vote for 2nd Stokowski, 5th Solti.

Sentimental attachment to 6th Neumann with Czech Philharmonic Orchestra on Supraphon LP : seen here 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-Mahler-Symphony-No-6-V-Neumann-CPO-Supraphon-1980-2-LP-nm-/171216002952?nma=true&si=gXKjCcZB69PRkK%252FXSLxTRjwtEDQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The whole Mahler cycle by Neumann : http://www.discogs.com/Gustav-Mahler-Czech-Philharmonic-Orchestra-V%C3%A1clav-Neumann-Complete-Symphonies/release/4522194

Mar 20, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #1,528 of 9,368
  Another vote for 2nd Stokowski, 5th Solti.

Sentimental attachment to 6th Neumann with Czech Philharmonic Orchestra on Supraphon LP : seen here 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-Mahler-Symphony-No-6-V-Neumann-CPO-Supraphon-1980-2-LP-nm-/171216002952?nma=true&si=gXKjCcZB69PRkK%252FXSLxTRjwtEDQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The whole Mahler cycle by Neumann : http://www.discogs.com/Gustav-Mahler-Czech-Philharmonic-Orchestra-V%C3%A1clav-Neumann-Complete-Symphonies/release/4522194

I actually listened to the entire Neumann cycle this winter and found it quite enjoyable.
I considered mentioning it here but you beat me to it.

Mar 20, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #1,529 of 9,368

I actually listened to the entire Neumann cycle this winter and found it quite enjoyable.
I considered mentioning it here but you beat me to it.

Mahler once said: I am three times "homeless"; as Bohemian under Austro-Hungarian empire, as Austrian under Germans - and as a Jew in the whole world.

Maybe not with the exact wording, but certainly to the above effect.

So including his native countrymen musicians playing his music does make sense; nothing against conductors already mentioned with Mahler, but Neumann does give yet another dimension/understanding of his music. 

Mar 20, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #1,530 of 9,368
  Mahler once said: I am three times "homeless"; as Bohemian under Austro-Hungarian empire, as Austrian under Germans - and as a Jew in the whole world.

Maybe not with the exact wording, but certainly to the above effect.

So including his native countrymen musicians playing his music does make sense; nothing against conductors already mentioned with Mahler, but Neumann does give yet another dimension/understanding of his music. 

Then I'll have to hear it. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back