Best classical recordings...ever!
Mar 12, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #1,501 of 9,368
Anner Bylsma on the, slightly bigger, 1701 Stradivarius Servais Cello is still my favorite (Sony) Bach Cello Suites Recording. It blew me of my socks first time I heard it. (at a funeral of all places)

Second choice for me would be Pierre Fournier..last choice Rostropovich, his suites have no flow whatsoever and i find then unlistenable, while I really love some of his other works and I respect the man dearly..

Pau (Pablo) Casals is a story in it self of course..I am mildly allergic to very old recordings but the sound is not to aweful, his play superb..Every fan should have his recordings, even if it was just for the historical perspective of this wonderful suites ..

Although I agree there is objectively no such thing as a 'definitive' rendition, subjectively Bylsma sure feel like that to me, for now anyway
biggrin.gif

Mar 12, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #1,502 of 9,368
I'll have to check out Bylsma. Feel like I'm the only one who like's Rostropovich's suites, they've always felt very... emotive to me. Last place for me is Ma, whose suites seem to place technical proficiency over any sense of emotion. I know people disagree with me on that one, but Ma's suites leave me feeling very cold. My favorite is probably Gastinel. 

Mar 12, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #1,503 of 9,368
  I'll have to check out Bylsma. Feel like I'm the only one who like's Rostropovich's suites, they've always felt very... emotive to me. Last place for me is Ma, whose suites seem to place technical proficiency over any sense of emotion. I know people disagree with me on that one, but Ma's suites leave me feeling very cold. My favorite is probably Gastinel. 

As I've stated earlier, I too enjoy Rostropovich's Bach.
Certainly not his alone.

One of the fascinating thing for me about Bach's cello suites(and Bach's music in general)
is the wide variety of interpretations available by great artists.

Mar 12, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #1,504 of 9,368

As I've stated earlier, I too enjoy Rostropovich's Bach.
Certainly not his alone.

One of the fascinating thing for me about Bach's cello suites(and Bach's music in general)
is the wide variety of interpretations available by great artists.

I missed (and/or merely forgot) that, good to know someone else is on board. Totally agree re: Bach and the wealth of interpretations.

Mar 12, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #1,507 of 9,368
Sorry to go a bit off topic. Still about Bach but with different instrument.
Since the main subject is still best records....
Doing some random search on youtube today and came across this piece.
Don't know much of his work, but the Goldberg Variations is a reference.
47 min of really fine piano. Special note: i think he is using his father chair.

Mar 12, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #1,508 of 9,368
  Sorry to go a bit off topic. Still about Bach but with different instrument.
Since the main subject is still best records....
Doing some random search on youtube today and came across this piece.
Don't know much of his work, but the Goldberg Variations is a reference.
47 min of really fine piano. Special note: i think he is using his father chair.

I love this (right on topic since this is one of the best recordings ever IMO) and love the sound of this Yamaha.. Gould had some interesting things to say in an 'interview' with Tim Page in '82 about his early debut recording in the 50s and this one from 1981

There are 6 parts total of this interview, here's part 1

Not really an interview, since the entire interview is written by Glenn himself but still interesting insight in his musical thinking (and his dorky humor
biggrin.gif
)

And yes, it's his dad's chair he always used behind the piano

Mar 16, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #1,510 of 9,368
These days I'm discovering Karajan/BPO's Tchaikovsky recordings form the '70s, with EMI Angel... The 4th Symphony in particular is a spectacular feat, sonically as well as musically.

Mar 16, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #1,511 of 9,368
Whilst looking for music to try out Mikros 90, I found a Paul Jacobs record of Bach-Busoni and Brahms-Busoni transcriptions on youtube that's quite moving. The sound is iffy, but not the talent.

Mar 18, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #1,512 of 9,368
Question for Mozart Violin concertos, especially no 3, 4 and 5th. What do you recommend in modern sound? I have listen so far to Gramiaux (nice performance, but old sound), Julia Fisher, ok, but weird miking and dull sound and Tognetti/ACO - that's quite nice imho. There will be also upcoming PentaTone recording with Arabella Streinbacher, but hard to say anything yet. Any suggestions?

Mar 18, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #1,513 of 9,368
I ha
Question for Mozart Violin concertos, especially no 3, 4 and 5th. What do you recommend in modern sound? I have listen so far to Gramiaux (nice performance, but old sound), Julia Fisher, ok, but weird miking and dull sound and Tognetti/ACO - that's quite nice imho. There will be also upcoming PentaTone recording with Arabella Streinbacher, but hard to say anything yet. Any suggestions?

I like Carmignola with Abbado/Orchestra Mozart. Compared to Fischer is a more energetic performance, both musically and from the recording standpoint. It is miked very closely, as many DGG/Arkiv recordings, so may not be ideal with headphones.  

Mar 19, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #1,514 of 9,368
In what may be the buy of the year, right now Arkivmusic.com has the Zinman set of Mahler symphonies 1-10 on sale for an astonishing $29.99! I picked up a couple of them as they came out, and while maybe the recordings aren't my top choice, there is absolutely nothing wrong with them and most people would be perfectly happy to have this set as there only set. (But why oh why didn't they do a Das Lied von der Erde ??!!!??) Anyway, the sound is marvelously SACD  - warm, clear, resonant - the orchestra sounds great at all times. And Zinman is no slouch of a conductor. For $30 ( that's $2 a disk) it's a steal!

Mar 19, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #1,515 of 9,368
  In what may be the buy of the year, right now Arkivmusic.com has the Zinman set of Mahler symphonies 1-10 on sale for an astonishing $29.99! I picked up a couple of them as they came out, and while maybe the recordings aren't my top choice, there is absolutely nothing wrong with them and most people would be perfectly happy to have this set as there only set. (But why oh why didn't they do a Das Lied von der Erde ??!!!??) Anyway, the sound is marvelously SACD  - warm, clear, resonant - the orchestra sounds great at all times. And Zinman is no slouch of a conductor. For $30 ( that's $2 a disk) it's a steal!

great deal. amazon lists this at $80.42.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back