Best classic non in ear canal earbuds
Jun 8, 2020 at 3:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

danc1980

New Head-Fier
Hello. I read some very detailed reviews here and I created this account because I want to hear from you which are the best classic non in ear canal headphones. I have Bose Soundsport Wireless but it hurts my left ear no matter the bud I use. I tried Jabra Elite Active 65t but they hurt like hell. I have JBL Tune 205BT which I like a lot, they are very comfortable and I like the sound too but they fall out of my ear when the wind is strong outside. I have also Sennheiser MX170 which I use for my laptop at work and they are comfortable too.
So please recommend me the best classic non in ear canal headphones with shape like Sennheiser MX170 or JBL Tune 205BT. I prefer them to have good bass cause I listen to electronic music mostly and a mic to take calls because I want them for my smartphone. I found Fiio EM3S which according to reviews are good but I want to know if there are other good alternatives.
So music quality, call quality and comfort are very important.
Thank you.

Jun 9, 2020 at 2:44 AM Post #2 of 3
Hi, I think you might get more responses if you change your question to "Best earbuds" as this is what you are looking for.
IEMs (in ear monitors) are the ones that enter your ear canal and create a seal.
Earbuds sit outside your ear.

I've never spend more than $30 on ear buds (you can easily spend a few hundred on new sets from China/Thailand/Indonesia) but I'm quite happy with my earbuds.
- Sabia V6 - v-shaped tuning with strong bass and moderate treble. They've been replaced by the apparently very similar V7.
- Kube - an older bud, somewhat rare, but very neutral tuning with astonishingly good linear bass.
- Vido - these sound like Koss PortaPro, but cost $3 - this is the absolute cheapest thing in the world that sounds GOOD (far better than Sennheiser MX365, etc)

But, that's only a very limited number of options, there are more good buds out there and you should probably read the Earbud Roundup thread to get an idea of just how many amazing new earbuds are out there now.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/ (stick to the later pages, as it's a very old thread now)

China/Thailand/Indonesia is going through an 'earbud-Renaissance' of sorts, and is leading the way in sound quality and design.
Nothing from USA, Germany or Japan can compete.

Jun 9, 2020 at 2:51 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks. I changed the title. :wink:

And thank you for the suggestions. I will look into them. I saw that the big brands don't make earbuds any more. They make more in ear canal earbuds. Hope I will find something that I like. The sad part is that I cannot test them and I rely only on reviews, but thanks to internet I will find something. Here as I see I always find new things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back