Best Cans For Gaming?
Sep 8, 2006 at 12:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

DoYouRight

Headphoneus Supremus
I was thinking of getting HD595s but now im not too sure. I listen to old rock and rap and some other ****. But these are mainly for GAMING. FPS gaming to be exact. I need to know where sounds are coming from (most important,) and footsteps and being able to count like how many footsteps. I currently have the sennheiser pc155 usb headset it was great when i got it but its ****** now. So anyway. Which of these would you suggest or maybe add to the list. Under $250 for now I will upgrade later. Oh yea ill probly get a Total Bithead as it seems now.

HD595
HD600
Beyerdynamic DT 990s 2006
Beyerdynamic DT 880s 2006 ( oh yea why are the 990s cheaper then the 880s?)

Now should I honestly wait on getting the HD650s? or like the AKG K701s? The cheapest i found either is like $350 on ebay. As it is i have to get an amp also. AND not to mention im still in the process of getting the new computer for all this which is about $1000 custom built. I am also a student so money isnt freely available
frown.gif
lemme know. Also like which could be good now and then get better ones later I guess. Id rather spend under $200 honestly for now. The best headphones I have are my shure e3gs so I dunno like how amazing things can sound. Ive never amped headphones either. And the bass on the sennheiser pc155s with bass boost on in the settings is decent so if that helps. Thanks

Sep 8, 2006 at 2:30 AM Post #3 of 26
Alot of cpl players use the HD595. I have my doubts about the HD600 though. I find my HD650 usefull for hearing certain details in sounds which my clanmates often don't hear but the soundstage (being able to tell from where it comes) is not super fantastic.

(However tbh I play alot of CSS and CSS it's sound is... plain simple, sucky, CoD2 with eax and stuff on a X-Fi blew me away on the other hand.)

Sep 8, 2006 at 2:59 AM Post #4 of 26
i play cs 1.6 and ya EAX is illegal i think i dunno why. but im thinking 595 or beyer hd 880. now if i get a bithead how the **** do i use my mic? i want the bithead cuz its a dac and amp. but can is the airhead a dac and amp that i can hook to an xfi, so i can use mic? plz help

Sep 8, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight
i play cs 1.6 and ya EAX is illegal i think i dunno why. but im thinking 595 or beyer hd 880. now if i get a bithead how the **** do i use my mic? i want the bithead cuz its a dac and amp. but can is the airhead a dac and amp that i can hook to an xfi, so i can use mic? plz help

Dunno about that but I heard around here about people using their onboard soundcard for their mics or other less important stuff.

EAX is not used in cs 1.6/CSS because valve thinks people with better hardware shudn't have an advantage. Total BS to me, any gamer that plays competitive at a certain level invest in it's hardware.

Same as with audio, any person who likes to enjoy music just that little tad more then the avarage person will invest in better audio equipment, hell I'd spend 20.000K on audio if I could.

Sep 9, 2006 at 6:02 AM Post #7 of 26
Ive decided to get a pair of Darth Beyers I just need to save up more money considering the mod i want is like $500+ Since I want a good wood and ****.
frown.gif

Sep 9, 2006 at 6:53 AM Post #8 of 26
I've also seen the ATH-x00 series mentioned quite often for movies and games, this series being comprised of the A500, A700, and A900. You might want to check out www.audiocubes.com for some awesome prices on those, I'm throwing the idea around myself, I might need some closed cans for movies/games in college, but there's so much that I want right now that I have to be careful and prioritize. Anyways, they'll be a good bit cheaper than the DT770, especially if you're getting one from Larry, no matter how nice those are I can't personally justify spending that kind of money for gaming cans.

Sep 9, 2006 at 12:07 PM Post #9 of 26
if your focus is gaming, consider the virtual 7.1 sound card's offered by SteelSeries/Soft Trading (forgot the actual company name, but they run the whole icemat/steelpad line of products)

funny how the 7.1 usb sound card is legal for online leagues/lan tourneys.
sound quality wise, aint gonna be anywhere close to even a medium set of cans. but for gaming there ya go.

i personally use sennheiser pc150's for gaming. sometimes i use the hd600's.
for cs 1.6, when I played alot i could tell where someone was perfectly fine. but since switching to kX project drivers, I've lost abit of that ability.

Sep 9, 2006 at 12:52 PM Post #10 of 26
Contrary to popular belief, a small soundstage is preferable for gaming. Distant sounds that would otherwise barely register on an "accurate" soundstage will stand out in smaller stages and actually provide you with an advantage as you have a better idea of the direction of the sound. And that's what's essential - to get the general idea and if the guy is within 10 feet (which requires immediate response), and let your eyes do the rest. My vote goes to something like the HD-280 Pro, and certainly not to the 580/6x0 line, which I have and love for music but not games.

Sep 9, 2006 at 2:34 PM Post #11 of 26
Ive had the icemat siberias. They are ****** and the usb sound card broke. Then the left earcup snapped off. So I decided to get a hot setup. Darth Beyers and probly the Go Vibe 5 amp for the moment. Im also tryin to get a pair of those red hd 595s. Heh.

Sep 9, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #12 of 26
most cpl players and many cs 1.6 players use the sennheiser hd595. I have the 650s w/ zu, and i seriously think the 595s or the cheaper 555s are better. hope this helps.

Sep 9, 2006 at 10:31 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Distroyed
My vote goes to something like the HD-280 Pro, and certainly not to the 580/6x0 line, which I have and love for music but not games.

Yep, I noticed that too. The HD280 Pro has the feeling that everything is kinda "nearby".

Sep 9, 2006 at 10:56 PM Post #14 of 26
by the USB sound card breaking, do you mean poor quality parts like the headset itself, or just performance issues?

If its performnce issues from the card, I think you an load 5H usb drivers for use with the card.

but yeah, that company's products are good at breaking. I dont particularly enjoy my qck+ / 4s pads much.

Sep 10, 2006 at 12:23 AM Post #15 of 26
not drivers. physically it broke and im not rough on my things. they arent made well. alot of kids i know had to tape the pair they have and ****.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back