Best Buy, Walmart employees:
Nov 11, 2010 at 1:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

EYEdROP

500+ Head-Fier
What is behind the demo stations for Bose, Sony XB, and Monster? What is powering these phones, what is the source? What kinds of things do they do to "enhance" the demo?  

Nov 11, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #2 of 6
Doesn't Bose send their own techs to install those stations? I don't think the average Best Buy or Wallmart goon will have any idea how those setups are rigged.

Nov 11, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #3 of 6
I have no idea how they are set up, but the station at Walmart sounds like feces fed through surgical tubing.  There is nothing impressive about the sony station.  And whats sad is that Sony makes a few great cans, but these demo stations push horrible models. 

Nov 11, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #4 of 6
Wait till you compare the XB-500 at B-Buy to the display at W-Mart... Makes the W-Mart display sound pristine!

Nov 11, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
 I don't think the average Best Buy or Wallmart goon will have any idea how those setups are rigged.

oh dear that made me laugh hard. Thanks

Nov 11, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #6 of 6
It would be interesting to get the canned music that they use in the demo setups and be able to listen to that same recording on different gear with different headphones.  The canned music they use has certainly been mastered specifically to sound a certain way that the company believes will demo the headphones best to their target audience.  Is the canned music really mastered as poorly as it actually sounds from the demo?  Probably.  It'd be curious to find out by listening to the recording with proper gear and proper headphones.

That's why canned demos are worthless for comparing bose/monster/sony/etc with each other.  No basis for a comparison since the canned music is different and horribly altered on each.

I did listen to the Monster Beats Pro demo at Best Buy yesterday just cause I was there.  Worthless as a demo cause the recording selections are obvious mush.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back