Best Buy and the Playstation 3
Nov 15, 2006 at 5:13 AM Post #122 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeB06
I completely agree with you RL. You got a raw deal and were royally screwed by EB Games. If eBaying a preorder was against their policy they should have expressed that in some form. Good luck with getting back what you lost, and hopefully getting that PS3 you camped out for. Its definitely not a free meal, as I was planning on camping for close to 24 hours for a PS3 to put on eBay, but now my plans have changed as there is a major event on campus the night before that I would kick myself for missing years down the road.

People deserve to pay a premium for a system on ebay at launch. While everyone else has been camping, even for over 24 hours, and gone through a heck of a hassle to get a system, an ebay customer can just place a bid and have one just like that, with no effort. This never would be an issue if some people did not perceive the worth of acquiring a game console at launch at the extreme convenience of placing a bid to be upwards of several hundred dollars more than the actual cost of the console.

Not a 300% mark up.. I don't feel sorry for these guys.. Because of ppl like him, real gamers who actually want a PS3 to um, play games, will likly get shafted at launch. Oh, you poor baby, you stood in the rain & cold for 11 hrs.. Play me the violin.. He did it to sell it for 1,800 which is the going rate..

Nov 15, 2006 at 5:51 AM Post #123 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice
Not a 300% mark up.. I don't feel sorry for these guys.. Because of ppl like him, real gamers who actually want a PS3 to um, play games, will likly get shafted at launch. Oh, you poor baby, you stood in the rain & cold for 11 hrs.. Play me the violin.. He did it to sell it for 1,800 which is the going rate..

Real gamers who want a PS3 to play games are getting shafted by Sony by only shipping less than 200K PS3's for their US launch of the console. If real gamers want to counteract this problem, they can get out earlier and wait in line longer. Surely not every PS3 sold at launch will be going on eBay
redface.gif

Heck, at the Japanese launch of the PS3, there were people in line who were being paid a hefty sum just to stand in line and buy the console for someone else.

Nov 15, 2006 at 5:52 AM Post #124 of 142
So now you get to dictate how much profit someone is able to make on a sale? You also get to dictate how much someones time is worth, and how much money that convenience is worth? Give me a break from your massive arrogance sir. You're also assuming that these "real gamers" aren't willing to stand in line for 11hr and 1 minute. Doesn't seem like dedication to me. And perhaps it is a "real gamer" who has some cash that is buying it? It seems that you're assuming whoever bought the system got it to what... look at it?

Nov 15, 2006 at 7:23 AM Post #126 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader
So now you get to dictate how much profit someone is able to make on a sale? You also get to dictate how much someones time is worth, and how much money that convenience is worth? Give me a break from your massive arrogance sir. You're also assuming that these "real gamers" aren't willing to stand in line for 11hr and 1 minute. Doesn't seem like dedication to me. And perhaps it is a "real gamer" who has some cash that is buying it? It seems that you're assuming whoever bought the system got it to what... look at it?

Honestly I don't care either way about them taking your PS3 away. You were selling for a profit and now maybe someone who actually wants one and can't afford the awful mark up will get it. The poor college kid story don't hold with me, but only because I'm one too.
biggrin.gif
It is what it is, and that's an excuse, and using it in court to justify what you were doing probably won't help your stance.

I do feel sorry for you on the fact that they didn't give your gear back and elected to only give you back a giftcard? Essentially they took your stuff and are trying to sell it back at a higher price, which is very wrong, IMO.

Good luck in court and maybe you'll come away with enough cash to afford a couple of PS3's.
biggrin.gif

Nov 15, 2006 at 11:56 PM Post #128 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman
Hold that thought...http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061115/..._consoles_ebay

They basically just restated ebay's policy on the sale of preorders. People who have put them up on ebay have stated that they are following those rules - by posting a picture of the preorder receipt, having a feedback rating of over 50, having at least 98% positive feedback, and some other restrictions on the length of the auction. Yahoo is making it out like you have to be some kind of licensed eBay "vendor" or store owner, but in reality, any joe schmoe with a good feedback rating above 50 can put their preorder up for auction on ebay.

Nov 16, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #129 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_baseball_08
It is what it is, and that's an excuse, and using it in court to justify what you were doing probably won't help your stance.

Saying why you did something matters not. The fact is that EB introduced new rules after having already agreed to provide a system. The transaction had been completed and yet they re-negged because they wanted to. If I purchased a Wiimote and sold it on eBay for more than I paid for it, do they have the right to take that product away from me? It's my property and I may do with it what I will. Pre-ordering a product in this case meant I had paid for a system and was promised one. They backed out of a deal/contract and they're screwing the little guy.

Nov 16, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #130 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader
Saying why you did something matters not. The fact is that EB introduced new rules after having already agreed to provide a system. The transaction had been completed and yet they re-negged because they wanted to. If I purchased a Wiimote and sold it on eBay for more than I paid for it, do they have the right to take that product away from me? It's my property and I may do with it what I will. Pre-ordering a product in this case meant I had paid for a system and was promised one. They backed out of a deal/contract and they're screwing the little guy.

One bugaboo with your story. You haven't paid for a system. You've given them a deposit for a PS3, and agreed to abide by whatever terms and conditions that they set. Those terms and conditions may include something along the lines of "EB Games reserves the right to do whatever the hell it wants."

Nov 16, 2006 at 9:03 PM Post #132 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice

oh boo hoo, real gamers? Maybe if you were a real gamer you'd also be in line when this guy was, or maybe you would have saved up enough money since sony announced the release...what..some years ago? Sorry but real gamers don't deserve the ps3 any more than people who stand in line to make profit do. Its capitalism.

Redleader-I'm on your side. I'd be very pissed if EB games shafted me as well. Although it might perfectly fair for them to do such a thing, its sad they are putting their efforts towards scrounging ebay to find EB receipts. Personally if this happened to me I'd be showing up at that local ebay around 3 in the morning, with a brick that would cause a certain $200 of damage to a certain window.

Nov 16, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #133 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne
oh boo hoo, real gamers? Maybe if you were a real gamer you'd also be in line when this guy was, or maybe you would have saved up enough money since sony announced the release...what..some years ago? Sorry but real gamers don't deserve the ps3 any more than people who stand in line to make profit do. Its capitalism.

Not all "real" gamers can afford the money or want to spend half a day waiting in line outside a BB. Even if you can, what are you gonna do when the fifty guys ahead of are only there to make a profit, while you (an actual gamer), gets screwed up the butt cause there's nothing left. Y'all can cry capitalism, all's fair, etc, but people are still gonna look down on the practice. Just how it is.

Nov 16, 2006 at 9:35 PM Post #134 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne
Sorry but real gamers don't deserve the ps3 any more than people who stand in line to make profit do. Its capitalism.

Personally if this happened to me I'd be showing up at that local ebay around 3 in the morning, with a brick that would cause a certain $200 of damage to a certain window.

It's also capitalism not to honor pre-orders to those with intent to resell. The resells do not increase PS3 profitability for EBGames, and not honoring them will increase customer goodwill towards EB Games.

Either way, appealing to capitalism while advocating what could easily be felony vandalism is incongruent.

Nov 16, 2006 at 9:57 PM Post #135 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Not all "real" gamers can afford the money or want to spend half a day waiting in line outside a BB. Even if you can, what are you gonna do when the fifty guys ahead of are only there to make a profit, while you (an actual gamer), gets screwed up the butt cause there's nothing left. Y'all can cry capitalism, all's fair, etc, but people are still gonna look down on the practice. Just how it is.

PS3 is not a limited edition console,
If you want instant gratification you got only 2 choices, you wait inline now for x hours or pay the price on ebay for someone else to wait inline for you.
Or (like me) you can buy it couple of months later when more interesting games came out and you can pick up cheap xbox/ps2/Cube games now.

Honestly, if you got ps3 now, what games will you play? I see no interesting ps3 games worth buying for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back