CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jan 19, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #27,001 of 31,833
Hi Sinuhe,

greeting... and nice to know you...

I myself is a long head-fi member but stay passive most of the time... You are right that this group thread is one of the most behaving good in Head-Fi; hopefully stay like that.

I'm glad to read that you compared these phones... I personally use Blon BL03 nowadays (and MH755. My other IEMs (LZA2, Yamaha EPH100, Fiio FH1) are failing) and looking for some improvement model or alternative/side model. In fact I also have my shortlist (IT00, HZSound, FH3 and KBear Believe).

Have you try to use equalize Heart Mirror to increase the bass on them? I wonder how much the bass on Heart Mirror could be pushed up (but still safe) to be closer to Blon BL03. If I borrow baskingshark review, he mentioned that Heart Mirror could take equalization very well.. (@baskingshark, wonder if you could add something too, here...)

Thanks

If you are looking improvement on your Blons, then have a look at Smabat NCO. They have sufficient punch and oomph in the lower end and vocals are also not too recessed. Highs have sufficient air and extension. Even their tonality and timbre is very natural. And most importantly, they fit well (cable down) and have no midbass bleed.

Jan 19, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #27,002 of 31,833
Got the Moondrop SSP finally (I ordered it over 2 months ago).

It has the same great build and fit of the SSR, except with more low end. It also sounds like the SSP upper mids are dialed back a tad, but I don’t remember seeing that on the FR graph comparison with the SSR. So it could be a result of the bass being lifted.

Either way, the SSP has a darker presentation which should please the complainers of the SSR.

This sample track (Mongolian throat rock, courtesy of the Wu) sounds great on the SSP, and will have you playing air guitar and pumping your fists in the air in no time:

@Slater and for those of you who like throat singing rock bands.... a Tuvan band Yat-Kha

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #27,003 of 31,833
Jan 19, 2021 at 11:10 PM Post #27,004 of 31,833
If you are looking improvement on your Blons, then have a look at Smabat NCO. They have sufficient punch and oomph in the lower end and vocals are also not too recessed. Highs have sufficient air and extension. Even their tonality and timbre is very natural. And most importantly, they fit well (cable down) and have no midbass bleed.

Thanks Bro.. Will check the Smabat

Jan 19, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #27,005 of 31,833
Hi friend, I've tried EQing the HZSound Heart Mirror to be similar to the BLON BL-03, using these graphs (credit to KopiOKaya from Audioreviews):
HZSound Heart Mirror.jpg
BLON BL-03 to BL-05S graph.jpg

So, the HZSound Heart Mirror really takes to EQ like a champ, it can actually take quite a lot of bass boost with minimal distortion. However, doing so does add a lot of midbass bleed/bloat and the bass impinges into the mids and kills the mids. The HZSound Heart Mirror is actually a very good set for midlovers in stock tuning, as it manages to bring a forward vocals/mids without harshness to the table, which is a very difficult fine line to balance. So guitars and vocals really sound superb in transients, layering, transparency and timbre for the mids in the stock form. EQing it to the BLON BL-03's signature really negates its strengths and adds negatives (midbass bleed).

So my 2 cents is that it is better to use an IEMs for its strengths, rather than EQing it into something it wasn't meant to be. If u want a harmanish sound, best to look for an alternative set than the Heart Mirror, finding a harmanish/V shaped set in the budget segment is very easy. But finding a budget neutralish bright set that is not shouty in the upper mids (as per run of the mill CHIFI tuning) is much harder to find, and the Heart Mirror is this set.

I am a basshead, and the Heart Mirror is bass lite. But I still keep the Heart Mirror in my weekly rotation simply cause of the great tuning that brings different things to the table.

Anyways, KopiOKaya has done some filter mods to make the Heart Mirror sound like the BLON BL-05S: https://www.facebook.com/groups/audioreviews/permalink/4708931849147089/
Quite an interesting concept that doesn't use EQ per se, but still gets it to be a less V shaped tuning ie closer to a U shape which u wanted. And IMO the BLON BL-05S has better tonality than the BLON BL-03, simply cause the midbass isn't as bloated as the stock BL-03 tuning.

Really, really appreciate your effort and thorough explanation, Bas.. 🙏👍

I'm interested to Heart Mirror because of the strenght you mention.. But at the same time think to eq it on the bass side if necessary.. So thanks a lot for your feedbacks

Jan 21, 2021 at 10:54 PM Post #27,007 of 31,833
FB_IMG_1607351128437.jpgIMG_20201204_161845__01.jpgIMG_20201204_161751__01.jpg

Another hidden gem from taobao, single DD DQSM Hermit priced at around RMB99, although this look like a final audio fi-ba-ss copycat but dont underestimate its sound, clean & balance tonality, slighly bright with HUGE I mean HYUGEEEEEEEE soundstage, the soundstage & its overall technical performance doesnt make sense at this price point. But it needs extra juice of power to reach it full potential though. If you can get this at online store/taobao just buy it blindly you wont regret it.
I blind-bought this and I have no regrets. For the price I paid, the build quality is really solid and the sound right out of the box is really neat!

Jan 21, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #27,008 of 31,833
Cross-posting:

For my first ever published review here on head-fi, I felt that it should be the QKZ VK4 - the IEM that introduced me to this wonderful world of feeling happy and contented with new gear and the always-present itch to acquire, just because there's always something new that would change the world as we know it.

The Gateway Drug to the Never-Ending Rabbit Hole

Pros: Smooth and organic sounding
Big and boomy bass
Mids are awesome for their price
Very comfortable
VERY CHEAP!!!

Cons: Early treble roll-off
Maybe too much bass
Technicalities

Introduction:

At 9 USD, this is the second-cheapest IEM with removable cables (EDX is cheapest at 6 USD). This was the first-ever “earphones” I bought, if I don’t include the atrocious Xiaomi Airdots.

A plasticky, candy-colored shell started it all – and the rest was history. Here’s my take on the much-acclaimed, legendary QKZ VK4…

IMG_20210122_115338.jpg

These were plugged to my phones (Oppo Reno 4, iPhone 5s) and laptop (Asus X409). I still do not have a dedicated DAC/Amp and thus cannot test scalability with more power but I am considering buying an Apple Dongle and/or a cheap amplifier (Topping NX1s).

Build and comfort: Typical universal CIEM shape, reminiscent of some of KZ’s offerings, which is understandable as from what I’ve read, they are sister companies. Definitely “cheap-feeling” – light, toy-like, but with a wonderful advantage. Due to the plastic-build, they disappear in your ears. Cable’s serviceable – typical cheap stock cable (plasticky, tangly, and sticky). I switched to a 4 USD JCally 8-core cable.

----------
I feel like I’ve used the word "typical" quite a few times, and all of that ends here. Sound is what sets these apart from the rest.
----------

I’ve had these for quite a few months now, and while I am still skeptical in burn-in, I can tell that these improve over time, in that it became smoother and more controlled.

Sound:

Bass –
Goes deep. Bassheads will like this. Lots of quantity, a bit more boom than oomph. These are engaging, without reaching fatigue-territory. However, it isn’t the most tight or detailed. So, there’s that.

Mids – Organic and smooth as butter. Placed right smack in the middle. Not overly recessed where you have to focus/pinpoint just to hear it. It’s also not that elevated where you wince every now and then when things start to get shouty. It’s placed just right. Definitely influenced by the bass, having this warmish sound to it.

Highs – Previously had this peak that was annoying in some songs but disappeared over time. If you’re a treblehead, these aren’t for you. They’re not extended, a bit splashy, and aren’t detailed. However, for it’s purpose, these do the job. Just enough to provide a bit of sparkle in my life.

Timbre – I still don’t know how to fully describe timbre. I am a hobby musician, playing quite a few instruments, and to my ears, nothing sounds wrong with these.

Soundstage and Imaging – Definitely not like earbuds, which extend to the nether but aren’t congested as well. I’d say decent. Panning sounds aren’t that defined, where you feel like your head is spinning with the song (listened to 40 Layers for this), but they manage and get stuff done.

Separation – Does the job. However, due to the elevated bass, instruments don’t have that much space to move, which tend to sound congested in complex tracks.

Detail-retrieval – Due to the smooth mids and slightly early rolled-off treble, these end in the relaxed listen rather than critical listen. They do sometimes show here and there, but usually non-existent.

Conclusion:

These started it all for me and if I didn’t buy these, I wouldn’t have known the audio world. They have a special place in my heart and I won’t ever let go of these. A 9 USD IEM that graphs surprisingly similar to the 64Audio N8 Universal, Moondrop Starfield, and the AKG N5005 – what more can you ask for?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #27,009 of 31,833
I like them both, but for different reasons.

The SSR has a clean reference tuning that is very difficult if not impossible to find in the budget segment. This fact alone makes them unique and rare for those looking to add something interesting to their budget earphone collection.

But I do love my bass, so for the genres of music that I listen to I personally prefer the SSP. I don’t listen to orchestral or classical music, but of I did, I would go with the SSR.

Note that I never found the SSR ‘super shouty’ like some people call it. I don’t crank the volume way up either, which I assume is what causes the complaints (ie Fletcher Munson curve). I listen at a safe and comfortable level; not too loud and not too quiet.

Regardless, they are both equally impressive. They are well built, beautiful design, good fit, nice accessories, and it’s clear that both are using quality dynamic drivers.

I don’t think you could go wrong with either though.

I think I am going to give this a go....I love how small it is

Jan 23, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #27,010 of 31,833
Jan 23, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #27,011 of 31,833
Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 9:49 PM Post #27,012 of 31,833
I love my Zero Audio Duozas so much but the cables keep failing. I've tried so many different IEM's and these with sony hybrid tips are my end game but I can't keep forking out $100 AUD each time the cable fails. I'm on my 4th set. Anyone have any advice ?

Jan 24, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #27,013 of 31,833
Are you able to modify them to take an mmcx connector?
What other IEMs have you tried? What do you like about the Zeroes that you don't get with the others?

Jan 24, 2021 at 12:55 AM Post #27,014 of 31,833
Are you able to modify them to take an mmcx connector?
What other IEMs have you tried? What do you like about the Zeroes that you don't get with the others?

I really don't want to spend hours modding. I was hoping for a recommendation on a similar sounding IEM with detachable cable.

I've tried Vsonic GR07s, Shure SE215's, Hifiman RE 400s, Etymotic HF3, KZ ZS10 Pro, Sennheiser CX 300 and a handful of others i can't remember off the top of my head.

I mainly listen to metal/rock and they sound so musical and fun without being fatiguing while still having a little spark in the treble to keep me interested for long listening sessions. Also, I like bass but I can't stand bass bloating. The Duozas are punchy, tight and fast in bass. My KZ ZS10 Pros have an insane amount of sub bass compared to them which I don't find enjoyable for the music I listen to. It feels like "droning" in my ears after a while. I don't know how else to describe them.

They just sound very balanced to me, nothing overpowers anything else but they are not overly analytical or boring.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #27,015 of 31,833
I really don't want to spend hours modding. I was hoping for a recommendation on a similar sounding IEM with detachable cable.

I've tried Vsonic GR07s, Shure SE215's, Hifiman RE 400s, Etymotic HF3, KZ ZS10 Pro, Sennheiser CX 300 and a handful of others i can't remember off the top of my head.

I mainly listen to metal/rock and they sound so musical and fun without being fatiguing while still having a little spark in the treble to keep me interested for long listening sessions. Also, I like bass but I can't stand bass bloating. The Duozas are punchy, tight and fast in bass. My KZ ZS10 Pros have an insane amount of sub bass compared to them which I don't find enjoyable for the music I listen to. It feels like "droning" in my ears after a while. I don't know how else to describe them.

They just sound very balanced to me, nothing overpowers anything else but they are not overly analytical or boring.
How important is timbre to you? The TRN BA5 sounds like what you're looking for, but their timbre is a bit mechanic.. Tonality wise they're neutral and dry, with bass that's probably too tight and fast. It's an all-BA unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back