Best Budget Sound Card?
Mar 3, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #31 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
their measurements disagree with damned near every other objective measurement for any card in that list

hahaha, you're gonna tell me about RMAA ? which relies on the soundcard inputs and is of course pointless.
I feel sorry that you like Creative junk so much
biggrin.gif

of course SRC is very much audible, time for an audio checkup my friend
atsmile.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #34 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well I love the smell of burning KMixer in the morning, not my fault
beerchug.gif

Just ignore him, that's his typical response. Everything he's got is brilliant, and there's nothing better and you're wrong. He did the same to me (when I trashed DVD players analogue out stages)

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #35 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just ignore him, that's his typical response.

dang, we got some real nuts here....but he's on my ignore list now, problem solved
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #37 of 45
If it's actually worth that much, I'm gonna get more money in longer time and I'll get something like this (these are the options, pick one xD) - Asus Xonar D2, Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty or Auzentech X-plosion 7.1 Cinema.

Mar 3, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #38 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by quaN' /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it's actually worth that much, I'm gonna get more money in longer time and I'll get something like this (these are the options, pick one xD) - Asus Xonar D2, Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty or Auzentech X-plosion 7.1 Cinema.

of those, I'd probably go with the Xonar D2 or X-Plosion 7.1

although, the differences between this level of soundcard, and the level under it (the Titanium, and some other boards in that range (nothing else is coming to mind, forgive me for seeming Creative-centric, eh?)) are minor (maybe 2-5% improvement in sound quality overall, at maybe a $30 to $70 USD price hike)

Mar 3, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #39 of 45
The D2 is a great sounding card. The X-Plosion Cinema is also a good card and allows for user upgrade through opamp replacment.
For cheaper look at the D1/DX, or you can look for used cards also.

Mar 3, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #40 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D2 is a great sounding card. The X-Plosion Cinema is also a good card and allows for user upgrade through opamp replacment.
For cheaper look at the D1/DX, or you can look for used cards also.

Well, I'm considering between these - D1,D2,X-plosion, Titanium Fatal1ty. Unless any of the last 3 cards have anything a lot better than D1 or DX, I'm getting one of those.

BTW Cheers, I completely forgot about 2nd hand cards
biggrin.gif
I'm gonna check right away. If you know any good forums except this to get a 2nd hand card, let me know.

Mar 3, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #41 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by quaN' /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I'm considering between these - D1,D2,X-plosion, Titanium Fatal1ty. Unless any of the last 3 cards have anything a lot better than D1 or DX, I'm getting one of those.

BTW Cheers, I completely forgot about 2nd hand cards
biggrin.gif
I'm gonna check right away. If you know any good forums except this to get a 2nd hand card, let me know.

audiogon *might* have some second hand digital sources (likely USB sources, I've seen Keces and Firestone equipment on audiogon)

if you're a [H]ardOCP member, thats also a fairly active and large FS board (but I think it has a minimum posting requirement to use, don't quote me on this)

honestly the DX/D1 is probably your best bet, the D2 is an improvement, but it isn't night and day imho

Mar 3, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #42 of 45
Very true, the D2 is a nice sounding card but the D1/DX are right behind it.
There is much more to measuring a card but
here is a idea of SNR #'s for each of the Xonar cards:
Essence:
STX (SNR124dB)
HDAV1.3 (SNR120dB)
D2X(118dB)
D2(118dB)
DX(116dB)
D1(116dB)
U1 (96~100dB)

Those would be measured values also, not spec values of the DAC's. Just to give you a idea.
You could grab a USB source like was mentioned also, you can find some good external gear for good prices.
For price to performance as was also mentioned the DX/D1 is probably the one for you, if your trying to get the best bang for the buck.
Opinions may vary.

Mar 3, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #44 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very true, the D2 is a nice sounding card but the D1/DX are right behind it.
There is much more to measuring a card but
here is a idea of SNR #'s for each of the Xonar cards:
Essence:
STX (SNR124dB)
HDAV1.3 (SNR120dB)
D2X(118dB)
D2(118dB)
DX(116dB)
D1(116dB)
U1 (96~100dB)

Those would be measured values also, not spec values of the DAC's. Just to give you a idea.
You could grab a USB source like was mentioned also, you can find some good external gear for good prices.
For price to performance as was also mentioned the DX/D1 is probably the one for you, if your trying to get the best bang for the buck.
Opinions may vary.

Looking at that wee schematic you posted, DX/D1 is right behind D2 and it would still be a major upgrade to my Audigy SE xD
Might look around the FS section once I've actually got them money
biggrin.gif
But you never know, I'm a very un-patient person, might actually go and buy something else but we'll see. Anyway, thank you for your input as it helped quite a bit.

Mar 3, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #45 of 45
Very big upgrade from your Audigy SE. There are lots of cards out there...look around more, read more information. Look at some external units as was mentioned.
Happy hunting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back