Best bass audiophile quality from which headphone?
May 14, 2012 at 8:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

telecaster

1000+ Head-Fier
For those who have a real long experience with a quality loudspeaker system that have 20/25Hz -3dB bass reproduction capability, I am searching for a headphone with the best quality of bass. Not quantity, but quality, I search for a headphone that is capable to go down low pretty flat, with good decay and control out of an OTL tube amp.

BTW : I never encountered a good subwoofer installation that was seemless. Please I only need advice from people who are used to full range loudspeaker! Thanks a bunch!

Please feel free to chime any advice here!
Cheers!

May 14, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #2 of 12
Quote:
For those who have a real long experience with a quality loudspeaker system that have 20/25Hz -3dB bass reproduction capability, I am searching for a headphone with the best quality of bass. Not quantity, but quality, I search for a headphone that is capable to go down low pretty flat, with good decay and control out of an OTL tube amp.

BTW : I never encountered a good subwoofer installation that was seemless. Please I only need advice from people who are used to full range loudspeaker! Thanks a bunch!

Please feel free to chime any advice here!
Cheers!

Audeze LCD:s are considered to have the best bass of all the headphones. Listening to some high quality electronic music with low sounds can be just mind blowing experience :p

May 14, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #3 of 12
Could please compare the bass from your LCD2 to those of your HD600?

May 14, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #6 of 12
I totally agree I never could get me sub woofer to seamlessly integrate into my system. This is my impressions with my headphones Grado RS1 and 2 exc quality (resolution) but limited quantity bass. Beyer  DT 990 bass heavy fun for movies not as resolving as Grado. HF Man 5LE all around exc bass most accurate reproduction of a drum set I've heard (amateur drummer) 

May 14, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:
Audeze LCD:s are considered to have the best bass of all the headphones. Listening to some high quality electronic music with low sounds can be just mind blowing experience :p

x2

They are the bassiest high end headphones. Lots of fun. I don't know about best... in complex passages of some recordings, the LCD2s at least can get muddied. I haven't heard the 3 yet, though it's supposedly better.
If you're a basshead, you'll have a hard time not loving the LCD2s though, no doubt. Other high end cans might have more control or speed, which can be subjectively better, but for pure earthy visceral slam in a high end open phone, they're tough to beat.

May 14, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #8 of 12
Pretty impressive graph and a little hard to believe, I need to listen!

Another LF339 owner is stating that LCD2 and our amp is not a good match. Anyone using LCD2 with a powerfull OTL amp?

Could anyone have a in depth IRL HD800 vs LCD2 bass comparaison to offer?

Man those Audeze looks tempting really!

May 14, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:
Pretty impressive graph and a little hard to believe, I need to listen!

Another LF339 owner is stating that LCD2 and our amp is not a good match. Anyone using LCD2 with a powerfull OTL amp?

Could anyone have a in depth IRL HD800 vs LCD2 bass comparaison to offer?

Man those Audeze looks tempting really!

HD800 is not a bassy can.
It has good detailed bass. You can hear all the notes and tones in the bass, better than most any dynamic/ortho can out there. But you get very little slam. It's an issue of preference. I let go of my HD800 in lieu of a T1, which I like abundantly more as, for me, it gives most of the beautiful detail and sound staging of the HD800 (not quite all though), and has great detailed bass, but has enough slam and heft in it to be heard.
I still have my LCD2s. I won't be getting rid of them for anything short of an LCD3. They're all different cans for different tastes and styles. Ups and downs etc.
That's my real life comparison. I loved the technical superiority of the HD800, but missed the connection in the bass. The T1 filled it's shoes perfectly, the LCD still being the real bass can though, hands down.

I am using the LCD2s and T1s with a Woo WA5 and Cavalli Liquid Fire. The LCD2 pairs better with the Liquid Fire in my opinion, still very well with the WA5, jsut better with the LF. The T1 pairs marvelously with both, though I slightly prefer it with the WA5.
The HD800 paired well with the LF as well, though I never had the chance, I think it would have done better with the WA5, might have given it some of the warmth and mid/bass boost I would have liked. I should have a chance to try them together soon enough though as a local has a pair I should be able to sample with the WA5.

These are all just impressions based on my preferences in my system.

May 14, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

How's that for bass extension.

^ This.

Not much else to say IMO. I think every other headphone has a significant roll-off starting at 30~50 Hz, except maybe the newer STAX's and Senn HD800 and a couple other ridiculous flagships.

May 14, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #11 of 12
And from my experience, the bass rolloffs don't seem as significant in the graphs as they are in reality.  If a graph shows x headphone to start slowly rolling off at around 50hz, in person it will dramatically start to grow anemic after 50hz.

May 14, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #12 of 12
Haven't tried any of the orthos, but IME the Koss ESPs do a splendid job with bass quality. They exceed whatever speaker system (with or without sub, and subs can be done properly - it takes more work though) you'd like to pick on. Based on reviews and measurements, the LCD-2s are probably better; but I cannot say for certain. I'd say consider both.

FWIW, in a dynamic can, the Kenwood KH-K1000 has the best bass I've heard; even against more expensive (and open) competitors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back